Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by domie1595 View Post
    Then why not wait 1 more year, instead of 4?
    Yea I was thinking of something else when I wrote 21, since that is when I moved half way across the country :P

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    Yea I was thinking of something else when I wrote 21, since that is when I moved half way across the country :P
    ^^ makes more sense now

Moved out 2 weeks after I turned 18, though the move was scheduled well in advance. I don't regret it, only because I would have gone nuts living with my parents any longer. But everyone is not the same. If you CAN stay with your parents and there are no problems, then by all means do it as long as you can. The money you save will be worth it, and you seem to have at least some sort of plan right now. There's no rush to get out, cause once you're gone, you can never come back (figuratively, of course you can literally come back).

The concept that it's lame to live with your parents is largely an American one, and largely one that's fading as people are having to move back in with their parents during these tough times.

Me and my stepfather got into it big in October, about a month after I turned 18. Went to a town about thirty minutes away, bounced around for a while between friends and my boyfriend at the time. Me and the boyfriend finally got a place together with one of his dormmates the next summer. That guy and I broke up in November, but since he was leaving the place for winter break to go back home, I stayed until January. A day before I was supposed to be out, I met a couple and we hit it off really, really well. >.> Moved in with them the next day and was there for about three months before they decided they didn't want a roommate anymore. Went back home until August, when I met the most wonderful man in existence. Moved from Virginia to Iowa with him the next month. Then my mom wanted us back in VA in December, so we went back and stayed with my family until he found a job (he does construction) a couple weeks ago and moved to Texas. And here we are, in the hotel we're staying in until we find an apartment.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnnydeeps View Post
    I am currently 18 now and in my last year of highschool. I'm going to college for 2 years to get a certificate to become a linesmen.(dealing with powerlines)
    My plan right now is to go to college for 2 years and get a job and work for 1 year before I move out to have a 1 years pay under my belt. I dont plan to become a home-owner I plan on moving into an apartment to start out then make some money and then buy a house.

I'm just wondering when did you move out? I know times have changed and back in the day you were probably out of the house at my age right now.
    I have moved out multiple times. First time I did I was 18 and going to community college I got pissed at my parents and moved out when they went on vacation. I got shit on by the roommates who screwed me as much as possible and had to move back in 2 months later. Lesson to learn don't move out on a whim with the first 2 people who agree to renting a house with you took me about a year to pay off all the debts due to that escapade. The second time was when I was 20 I moved to college for the first time. I ended up taking a prolonged break when I got a sizable raise and promotion at work. I got laid off work after 3 years had no money and no where to go parents let me come back till I got stable. I stayed for 3 years trying to get my shit together and am now back at college I made the dean's list the past 3 semesters so I think I finally have my shit together i's just a shame it's taken this long.

10+ Year Old Account
    I just moved out of my mother's house August 2011 =]
    I will be 24 in two months, moved to miami for school. working a decent job now, late hours but i obviously have a lot of free time >.>

Have no idea how the hell people can afford moving out when they are around 16-20 years old.
    Here in norway just renting a little bacement / Room cost min 1500euro..
    Thats ALOT of cash for a 16-20year old kiddo...And that is without car-payments/food etc....

20 years and still live at home.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can understand OP's curiosity but by no means you should use w/e age you find to be the average as a standard for your own pride or ideals.

The economy sucks. Period. Stay at your parents until you have a nice cushion from savings.

If it makes you feel better, I heard Italians don't leave their parents' home until age 30.

---------- Post added 2012-03-03 at 07:05 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by senshu View Post
    The concept that it's lame to live with your parents is largely an American one, and largely one that's fading as people are having to move back in with their parents during these tough times.
    This. In some countries you don't really move out until you get married.

---------- Post added 2012-03-03 at 07:07 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by fwc577 View Post

To top it off I have two dogs so I would need to find a place that will allow me to bring my dogs or I have to leave them behind.
    Actually, this one is important. In some areas moving a dog is a pain in the butt when you take into account rent practices related to dog ownership or the quality of life in an area.

10+ Year Old Account
    i was 17, wasnt a big deal. i dont see why anyone would stay past finishing university

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Maruka View Post
    i was 17, wasnt a big deal. i dont see why anyone would stay past finishing university
    I'm 28, still live in parent's house My parents are only here for like 3 months per year or so. But even if they lived here, it's a huge house, 3-4 families could probably live here without running out of room, big garden and no rent. Just have to pay the power bill, for water and land tax, which isn't that great.

If I'd move out, I'd probably have to pay twice that, lose access to the gym, pool, garden etc. I don't see how it would possible be a good idea to even consider that?

Deleted
    home forevah

Probably in a bit more then a year aswell, I want to a secure job first so I don't get in debt or w/e. I already got a crapload of stuff so other then rent the cost to move out won't be too steep. Oh, I'd be 22 then btw. :d
    Last edited by ophion1990; 2012-03-03 at 01:29 PM.

Deleted
    I was 18. The difference being I moved to another country after I met a guy through WoW. Currently living with the inlaws, paying rent for the room and such, currently saving money to get a flat of our own.

Quote Originally Posted by Randie View Post
    Tough love is tough. It's common practise here to move out when you're 17/18, so be happy you made it to 22 leeching off your parents :P
    HAH! Thankfully, Italians are quite reasonable, and it's not uncommon for 3 and even 4 generations to live together. I moved out after Grad school (at 27) and then effectiuvely moved back in again at 38 when my father died and my mother was diagnosed with congestive heart failure (although the moving in wasn't quite that - I bought the house from her and set up an 'apartment' for her over the garage.)

If you get along with your family, the bonds are good and there's no pressure, why WOULD you want to move out?

17. I was planning to move out anyways, but because I'm a horrible person I was asked to leave by my father.

Quote Originally Posted by Eliandal View Post
    HAH! Thankfully, Italians are quite reasonable, and it's not uncommon for 3 and even 4 generations to live together. I moved out after Grad school (at 27) and then effectiuvely moved back in again at 38 when my father died and my mother was diagnosed with congestive heart failure (although the moving in wasn't quite that - I bought the house from her and set up an 'apartment' for her over the garage.)

If you get along with your family, the bonds are good and there's no pressure, why WOULD you want to move out?
    That's the way I view it as well, I guess the difference of opinion is due to a different cultures.

In Asia, Africa and some parts of Europe it's pretty standard to live with your family until later life or even longer, and I presume in places like America and the United Kingdom their is an expectation for a the person to leave home at a young age and I imagine for some this can put pressure on teenagers and young adults to leave home, in some cases I can even imagine this kind of thing to be looked down upon which is a shame.

When I finished high school and started studying in the university...19 years old.

I moved into my first apartment when I was 19. Been on my own since except for a couple months while I was apartment hunting (evil ex).