Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Borzo View Post
    Or howabout 4) You don't want other people invalidating and effectively removing a large part of your identity.

YOU can argue that that doesn't matter to YOU... but that doesn't change the fact that it matters to other people, even though neither 1, 2, nor 3 apply.
    In a game where the vast majority of people interact with you for a sum total of 20 minutes, without knowing anything about you beyond your toon's name, gender, and your general skill... Identity means nothing. If you think your gender is important in the scheme of things, consider that in 20 minutes, they probably won't even remember your toon's name.

Quote Originally Posted by Torq View Post
    In a game where the vast majority of people interact with you for a sum total of 20 minutes, without knowing anything about you beyond your toon's name, gender, and your general skill... Identity means nothing. If you think your gender is important in the scheme of things, consider that in 20 minutes, they probably won't even remember your toon's name.
    You're missing the point.

The way people feel about their identity isn't a logical and rational thing. There is no logical or rational reasons - they just feel that way.

That feeling is the reason most people say something when they are referred to as the incorrect gender. You can go on and on and say how it doesn't matter till the sun sets and rises tomorrow... but that won't change the fact that it matters to them for what may be completely illogical and irrational reasons.

It's one thing to say that this feeling is irrational... but another completely different thing to say it doesn't exist.
    Last edited by Borzo; 2012-03-05 at 09:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Borzo View Post
    You're missing the point.

The way people feel about their identity isn't a logical and rational thing. There is no logical or rational reasons - they just feel that way.

That feeling is the reason most people say something when they are referred to as the incorrect gender. You can go on and on and say how it doesn't matter till the sun sets and rises tomorrow... but that won't change the fact that it matters to them for what may be completely illogical and irrational reasons.

It's one thing to say that this feeling is irrational... but another completely different thing to say it doesn't exist.
    No, I get it. And that's kinda my point: people should think before they react, instead of just acting on emotion. They'd probably save themselves quite a bit of heartburn in the process.

Deleted
    I stopped completly calling people in random groups by gender at this point. When i have to interact with someone i don't know i referr to that person by their class or spec, like healer, tank, hunter, dk and so on, just to avoid people that like to get into fights to correct others. I have had to tell a female guildmember i played alot with this last year (we liked to cap our valor together on several toons each week) that if she didn't stop attacking people in such a horrible manner whenever they accedently reffered to her as a he/guy/dude, i would have to stop doing hc's with her. The good atmosphere in the group would always be ruined, and an otherwise smooth run would turn into one big argument. I am not saying that she wasn't in her good right to correct them because she was a girl and not a guy after all, but there is absolutly nothing gained in randoms from picking a fight and start an argument, over something like that. Some might call me unsensetive for doing that, but I like to have fun in my daily hc's rather than have to listen to someone deffend their strong belives in their gender with every second pug making a 20 min run suddenly take 1 hour.

We still play together, she is a very good friend and a very good player, wich was the main reson i started queing with her in the first place.