Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhianne View Post
    Would you be okay if you were constantly referred to as her/she? Another reason is because men tend to tone down their behavior/attitude/topics of discussion when a girl is present.
    It wouldn't make sense to refer to the majority of mmo players as she so that sort of does not make sense. (also sure I don't care call me a she, i'm not one but w.e I run around as an orc all day anyway.) And why should a group (more than lets say 3 people) have to tone down their conversation/attitude for one person? What gets me the most is a fair number (not all mind you) of girl gamers i come across want to be treated as just another player....uuuuuntil they realize attention is cool and people give stuff to individuals wit teh bewbs. If you want to be treated like the rest of us act the like the rest of us and part take in our conversations without mentioning your vagina please. Its annoying.

I've seen it both ways, though I've run into many more cases of being surprised that someone is a female when hearing them on vent because they never gave any indications as to their gender, either intentionally or not. Most people just don't think of it, but I have met many women who avoid talking about their gender on the internet for obvious reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Sathena View Post
    Hello all. I don't know if its just me or not, but lately I've noticed in the games I play (WoW, bf3, minecraft) that a conversation will go on between players and the words 'he' or 'him' are used. Then there's a quick reply 'but I'm not a dude'. What's the point in saying that to a group of people?

I understand in the real world that some people dont like their genders mixed up, and I'm fine with that. But, in pixel land, when its nothing more then text flying around the chat bars (IE: not using mumble, teamspeak, vent, etc) why even point it out?

Is it a sense of pride? distinction? entitlement? preying on the foreveralones? It just makes no sense to me. And the 2 times Ive ever asked 'her' what the importance of correcting us was, 'she' would start throwing a fit and leave the dungeon/server.

I are confuz.
    idk gurlfriend, maybe they just want attention.

Deleted
    Im a girl! gief me lootz nao. On a serious note- if someone would greet you in dungeon while playing your female charr: " yo chicka! whats up cute? Hey sugar, dont roll on it! Hey babe more dps- you would correct him? most likely. So if someone says that to me just using "dude, bro, " etc etc, i can correct him and no, its not seeking attention. Its simply...correction . I dont expect ill get free lootz or light treatment on my performance. Also u dont need to know that my husband is this 85 druid or whatever. ITS. JUST. STATEMENT .

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not a dude and don't wish to be called one its pretty simple. I don't usually bother tell random people if i get called one, but if i'm gonna be playing with you quite a few times i will.

If i've been your friend for months and you thought i was a male the whole time wouldn't you feel abit upset that i never bothered to tell you i'm female. Besides the way men tend to talk to one another. *shivers* (not all men but enough of them)
    Last edited by strangebreed; 2012-03-02 at 12:51 AM.

Most of the time it's really obvious they're doing it to get attention, it's just very very obvious.
    The earth is not a cold dead place

Quote Originally Posted by Toastheaven View Post
    The pressure to keep your gender secret online might be hard to understand if you're a guy, but it's a real thing to consider when you're a female trying to take part in a mostly male community which tends to lean towards the misogynistic side with jeers and sexual harassment being common-place if it's discovered that you happen to have tits.
    With stuff like THIS happening it's understandable if female gamers want to keep their gender secret.

Quote Originally Posted by Rustweaver View Post
    This type of player reminds me of the girl on Facebook who has hundreds, even thousands of photos of herself to compete for attention. Get two or more of these types in one group or guild and it gets catty real fast.

Fortunately, most of the girls I have had in my guild or have known in general that play MMOs are pretty laid back and don't think anything about.
    Dudes do that to though from my experience, I remember wiping on LK, while having 2 of my fellow healers bitching like two 12 yo girls in MY healer channel. :P

Girls/dudes it doesn't matter it all depends on the atmosphere of the guild I think. We are a bit older in my guild though, you need to be +20 years to join, there might be more trouble when guild members are younger I don't know.
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

10+ Year Old Account
    Boobs are game changing devices. This is and always will be true. Bow to the boobies.

/Thread

Also, depending on the class, I've rolled some female classes, and never really thought to correct someone if they call me 'she' or 'her.'

But I also use words like 'dude' when referring to my female friends, because that's the way my circle of friends all talk to each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post

It's horrible how even in the gaming community, guys are looking for ways to demean and attack women. Guys are bitching about girls playing and being attention seekers, but forget that 90% of the people you will encounter with an attitude problem will be...that's right, a guy. .
    Christ are you serious demean and attack? Thats a bit much. My counter to your point is that us guys "demean and attack" because alot of girls in games are annoying. You know what happens when guys are annoying in games? They get demeaned and attacked. Its not a double standard its people speaking out against those who are annoying. (Yes i know there are people who do act like assholes toward women on the internet. But just because you see one bigot does not mean we all are no?)

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    Would you tolerate being called a girl/chick?

If someone I will be interacting with a lot in the game calls me dude because he thinks I'm a dude for real, I will say "I'm no dude btw, just to clear that up".

It's horrible how even in the gaming community, guys are looking for ways to demean and attack women. Guys are bitching about girls playing and being attention seekers, but forget that 90% of the people you will encounter with an attitude problem will be...that's right, a guy.

I am a woman, I will not be mistaken for a man by the people I intend to play with. They'll usually learn my identity from my name though.
    You are one of the only people actually talking sense in this thread. If some people in this thread were called a girl I am sure they would correct the other person. I really don't understand how some people think that correcting a mistake equates to attention seeking. Hell, the majority of female gamers that I have known have actually tried to hide their gender so they don't get harassed by sexually frustrated teenagers. If someone in my group said "Hello, fellow Americans" I would correct him...why wouldn't you? The person made a mistake, so correct it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by darenyon View Post
    idk gurlfriend, maybe they just want attention.
    Oh you big silly. Male Co-workers and friends refer to each other as ladies, jokingly of course, and no one rages. Its the internet after all. Why so serious?

Here's a thought:
    By automatically assuming someone is a 'he,' you rule out the possibility that that someone is a 'she.' By doing so, you strengthen the stereotype that gamer girls are A: A rarity, and B: Shouldn't be playing the game in the first place.

I don't respond to people getting my sex wrong any more; I've given up on it, really... But each time I see an automatic 'he,' I cringe a bit inside and think 'What a misogynistic twat!' Because that's how it comes across: It looks as if you think that women simply don't matter/exist in your world as equals.

So that's why people correct you.

Is it so hard to use the words 'they' and 'them' if you just don't know? Those are the proper genderless pronouns, after all.
    Another method: If someone uses a male character: 'He.' If someone uses a female character: 'She.' If that someone has a problem with that, then maybe they should not have rolled a character of that gender.

It's no different then when a male questions why you called him a she. I know a LOT of my male friends absolutely hate it when you call them female. They don't even look like it, and they still get pissy.

Point is its the same online as it is off. Don't call us a man and we won't call you a woman. I like my gender, and I don't give a shit if you believe me or not-- but I will correct you if you call me a "him/he" in game. Not because I want free crap or pampering, but because I'm proud and that doesn't make me arrogant or elitist to be content with my special parts. I will agree with anyone saying that there are a majority of women on the game (or any game for that matter) that want freebies because of their gender. I'm particularly against any sort of favoritism, especially sex based. Honestly though, I've met more men online that feel they are entitled to stuff more then women are just because they have a penis, and from my experience... Men cause more problems.

EDIT: I agree with Stir's post above mine.
    Meep~

Quote Originally Posted by Rhianne View Post
    Would you be okay if you were constantly referred to as her/she? Another reason is because men tend to tone down their behavior/attitude/topics of discussion when a girl is present.
    [E] Whoops, missed one word in there and completely missed the intent.

I don't usually play female toons, but I've had people refer to me as "her"/"she" when I'm on them, and it doesn't make a difference to me. I find that most people just refer to people by the gender of their toon, not by any assumption of gender of the player behind the toon.

If you don't want to be referred to by the opposite gender, don't roll a toon of the opposite gender. Simple enough.

Of course, I also tend to just assume everyone is a male IRL until I discover otherwise, but that still has no effect over how I refer to them in-game.

Quote Originally Posted by Dermot View Post
    If someone in my group said "Hello, fellow Americans" I would correct him...why wouldn't you? The person made a mistake, so correct it.
    See, now this is aggravating. You're acting as if every time someone makes a simple mistake, you must correct it. Sometimes, it's really not worth the effort; just shrug it off, and ignore it.

You don't need to correct every little wrong. When you do, it just makes you look like a pretentious prick. Couple that with the first sentence in your post, and it's hard to think of you as anything but.
    Last edited by Torq; 2012-03-02 at 12:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mcshiz View Post
    What gets me the most is a fair number (not all mind you) of girl gamers i come across want to be treated as just another player....uuuuuntil they realize attention is cool and people give stuff to individuals wit teh bewbs. If you want to be treated like the rest of us act the like the rest of us and part take in our conversations without mentioning your vagina please. Its annoying.
    Get loot masters that have seen a vagina up close, problem fixed. I have never experienced any kind of "posetive descrimination" towards our female players, or do you mean in pugs?
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

At least on gaming forums it gets annoying to say him/her or she/he so everyone just says "he" or "they" unless it's otherwise known to be a female. If a female only replies "I'm a she" then it's for attention.

It's really hard to tell a persons sex on these forums because of all the My Little Pony crap and pink colors everyone has as their avatar or signature.

edit-
    Quote Originally Posted by Stir View Post
    Is it so hard to use the words 'they' and 'them' if you just don't know? Those are the proper genderless pronouns, after all.
    Using "they" isn't correct when talking about one person though. It is more gender neutral to just say "him" when speaking about something where it's more likely to be a "he". It still isn't correct though, but it's closer.
    Last edited by Ogretron; 2012-03-02 at 01:02 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Well, you can not say always because you do not know everyone's gender. Some females might just brush it off and not even tell you that they are a female.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

If someone's calling me by the wrong name, I'm going to correct them.

You're telling me if someone was referring to you and saying "She this" and "She that" you wouldn't correct that person?

The fact that you're attributing that correction as attention seeking is more reflective upon how YOU feel about female gamers.
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8