Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Deleted

do you mind dying in TOR while leveling?

During my leveling as a Sage in TOR (with qyzen fess as my tank), I've died rather often. I don't know if I can call up a statistic on it, but I'd say about 4-5 times on every planet so far (I'm starting Balmorra now, so just finished with act 1) on average. Weirdly enough, though, I die more often on groups of mobs than on the bosses that you fight at the end of questlines.

However, contrary to WoW, where I find death really annoying, but am often forced into death because of groups, I actually don't mind dying in TOR. Because, If I die in WoW, it's often not my fault, because I avoid fire and other death-inducing mechanics as best I can. Which means that if I die in WoW, I mostly die because someone else messed up, OR because some alliance aggressor decided he didn't like me, because I foolishly decided to play on a PvP server.

However, I approach TOR as a singleplayer game with some multiplayer elements. Which basically boils down to "I play solo and avoid multiplayer content until maximum level". I also rolled on a PvE server instead of a PvP server. This means that I cannot die because someone else messed up, and I cannot die because someone from the opposing faction disliked me. This just leaves that I messed up in some way. And i can deal with that. Because it means that if I treated stuff differently, I could have survived. It means that I'm not performing to my best. Which in turn means that I got room for improvement. And that's what I like to hear: that my class still has secret tricks for me. And that the game is not afraid to show me in a brutal way.

So, how do you feel about dying in TOR?

I am Murloc!
    15+ Year Old Account
    I don't mind death at all while questing in TOR. I honestly can't remember the last time that I died while questing or leveling in WoW.

In TOR, the leveling isn't exactly difficult, but you can certainly die if you aren't paying attention. It makes it more enjoyable and less mind numbing.

You die more to groups than bosses because you cant do much wrong on bosses.
    on groups you need to cc mobs and kill them in the right order. all in all I think the difficulty in leveling is very pleasant.

Deleted
    What I also like is that companion death doesn't always immediately mean "game over". During the final quest of my sage in Act 1, Qyzen died 2 times: 1 time to the second miniboss (the ones where you get a kill mission for), and 1 time to the final boss. however, both times, I managed to still finish the bossfight without dying. the first time, i kept myself alive while slowly wittling away at the enemy, interrupting as much as possible, and on the final boss, I kited him around using my slows, stuns, and other such mechanics.

You've hit the nail on the head, really. It's only somewhat frustrating when there was nothing you could do to prevent your death. I treat SWTOR in much the same way as you, which means when I die it was my fault (usually). So I take it as a learning experience.

That said I don't usually get too frustrated when I die anyway, no matter the circumstance. But it is certainly that little bit more annoying when it's someone else's fault and not my own.

I often find the groups of strong enemies will end up hurting more than the actual elites and champions. As a medic spec trooper with M1-4X tanking (just dinged 41 last night and finally leaving Balmorra), I easily solo'd the final boss (106k hp) of the bonus quest (part 1), but get torn apart by the group of 3 Sith (16k hp each) over by the arms factory (if you've tangled with them you know who I'm talking about). It all comes down to the damage output that the groups can do vs the healing output that I can.
    Originally Posted by Zarhym
    Someone needs to take away your keyboard until you're better able to read the explicit meaning in sentences without implying whatever you want in order to be contrary.
    Quote Originally Posted by Archimtiros View Post
    It's like swatting flies with a shotgun.

15+ Year Old Account
    If I am playing carelessly or like cba to step up on defensive side (cooldowns, LoSing, healing etc.) then I just shrug and try again and play properly.
    If I am in an unfair situation - say conversation ends and I am being surrounded by an overtuned NPC combo - then I chalk up another convo death (while "thanking" Bioware) and try again.
    If I bash my head repeatedly because I tried to solo the unsoloable then I am resetting and try getting a group...or wait it out.

In short, I don't mind it really, maybe it's my own mindset. When I solo'd certain heroics on my Juggernaut I willfully accepted repair costs up to 15k just to get it done especially when the total income and reward were easily worth double of that.
    WoW: Crowcloak (Druid) & Neesheya (Paladin) @ Sylvanas EU (/ˈkaZHo͞oəl/) | GW2: Siqqa (Asura Engineer) @ Piken Square EU
    If builders built houses the way programmers built programs,the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization. - Weinberg's 2nd law

He seeks them here, he seeks them there, he seeks those lupins everywhere!

Considering dying is nothing more than lying down for a few seconds... I don't really care.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Yes, because mostly the content is not proper for solo players, especially players who are there for the story and don't care to have to master every damn CD/ability/pot/stim/etc.

Bioware overuses elite and even strong mobs in general questing. I have zero problems with elite and strong mobs in heroic+ and flashpoints. I have a real problem with them in regular content. They have no place. I also am getting all so tired of all the player incapacitating abilities mobs have. Hell on one planet I had to send my npc in first EVERY DAMN TIME unless I wanted to be "blinded/spun" for eight to ten seconds. I know about the CD to break it, but damn I am not waiting two minutes between pulls. Using elite mobs for when the player is reasonably expected to be solo and worse, higher level than the content around them, is lazy programming. I know more than a few who left because they got frustrated with that model and some who only play in cantina's now... which means they won't be around long either.
    iMac
    2012-03-05 : The day SWTOR jumped the shark
    Mages are basically "warlocks for girls" - Kerrath

I think the overuse of elite and strong mobs is what makes SWTORS grinding the best of all MMOS, and not the voiceover or story.

The mob groups are not just challenging, they offer a lof of diversity and make you use all your skills and the more importantly the ones of your companion, who will optimally complement your role. and with that, totally by the way this will prepare new players for endgame PVE.

Deleted
    Seems a strange question. It's the same as asking if we mind dying in games while levelling as opposed to max level, playing solo isn't a TOR specific phenomenon. In answer, no it bothers me less. The penalty is less for dying in SWTOR than WoW, and I don't tend to die so often that I have a lengthy wait or feel forced to return to the graveyard. In terms of solo/group content, I find the opposite to you. I find it more annoying when I die solo because I'd rather be able to blame someone else than think I died because of my own silliness. I don't really find myself getting annoyed about dying in groups for someone else's mistakes, unless it's something particularly stupid and repeated.

---------- Post added 2012-03-02 at 04:57 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by moff View Post
    I think the overuse of elite and strong mobs is what makes SWTORS grinding the best of all MMOS, and not the voiceover or story.

The mob groups are not just challenging, they offer a lof of diversity and make you use all your skills and the more importantly the ones of your companion, who will optimally complement your role. and with that, totally by the way this will prepare new players for endgame PVE.
    And yeah, I couldn't agree more. Being able to actually utilise your full rotation, stuns/incapacitates and defensive abilities while soloing adds a whole new dimension to the process. Ploughing through mobs before they hit you, or before a single stun runs out gets boring.

Dying in SW:TOR is great.

It's faster to die then run back to the quest giver.
    Running through an entire heroic and dying at the end so you could skip all the trash to activate the console/whatever.
    No Quick Travel? Just die and rez somewhere so you can avoid mobs on your way back to a location.
    /dance

I am Murloc!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by moff View Post

I do like that. Almost every pull, the farther you get, has strong/elite and normal pairings. You need to use your companion properly.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroWashu View Post
    Yes, because mostly the content is not proper for solo players, especially players who are there for the story and don't care to have to master every damn CD/ability/pot/stim/etc.

Bioware overuses elite and even strong mobs in general questing. I have zero problems with elite and strong mobs in heroic+ and flashpoints. I have a real problem with them in regular content. They have no place. I also am getting all so tired of all the player incapacitating abilities mobs have. Hell on one planet I had to send my npc in first EVERY DAMN TIME unless I wanted to be "blinded/spun" for eight to ten seconds. I know about the CD to break it, but damn I am not waiting two minutes between pulls. Using elite mobs for when the player is reasonably expected to be solo and worse, higher level than the content around them, is lazy programming. I know more than a few who left because they got frustrated with that model and some who only play in cantina's now... which means they won't be around long either.
    I can only speak for myself here, but the story accounts for about 10% of the time spent in the game. Having the varied levels of enemy creatures (weak, normal, strong combos, as well as the elite and champions) makes you have to learn your character and the abilities you have at hand. I only play solo while questing and generally complete every quest on every planet (to include the bonus ones if they're available immediately) and have had no issues soloing any content - if I play smart. If I try and rush through stuff, then I get what I bargained for.
    Originally Posted by Zarhym
    Someone needs to take away your keyboard until you're better able to read the explicit meaning in sentences without implying whatever you want in order to be contrary.
    Quote Originally Posted by Archimtiros View Post
    It's like swatting flies with a shotgun.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanero View Post
    Dying in SW:TOR is great.

It's faster to die then run back to the quest giver.
    Running through an entire heroic and dying at the end so you could skip all the trash to activate the console/whatever.
    No Quick Travel? Just die and rez somewhere so you can avoid mobs on your way back to a location.
    100%. I really never liked the corpse run mechanic in WoW, even before Cata made it 100 times easier by dropping a few dozen more grave spots (remember the insanely long runs back if you died in Deadmines, or, heaven forbid, Ragefire?). I don't mind the wait time, either, if I died too often, to be rezzed in place.

When on a particularly tough part and the timer hits the 10 minute mark, it can be a bitch, but otherwise death is fine. I don't mind the mobs being "real" encounters either, though I think there's just too much of them sometimes between you and what you want to do.

But, really, as a sage, my favorite part was shield, mount up, get as far as you could before being dismounted (since shield keeps you going longer) and then just keep shielding and dashing (forget the ability name offhand) until finally they kill you or reset. Was much faster than fighting through some of the hallways.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenblade View Post
    If I am playing carelessly or like cba to step up on defensive side (cooldowns, LoSing, healing etc.) then I just shrug and try again and play properly.
    If I am in an unfair situation - say conversation ends and I am being surrounded by an overtuned NPC combo - then I chalk up another convo death (while "thanking" Bioware) and try again.
    If I bash my head repeatedly because I tried to solo the unsoloable then I am resetting and try getting a group...or wait it out.

In short, I don't mind it really, maybe it's my own mindset. When I solo'd certain heroics on my Juggernaut I willfully accepted repair costs up to 15k just to get it done especially when the total income and reward were easily worth double of that.
    I generally just go into every conversation (Sith Sorceror) with shields on both me and Khem assuming that when it ends, I'll have to fight those that I am talking to. As soon as the conversation ends, I immediately cc the elite/strong and then start working on the rest. This strategy has helped me immensely. On topic, I don't mind dying. It means I need to pay better attention, which is nice as questing can become tedious, especially with a kill 20 of (x) bonus quest attached to virtually every story based quest. I do agree that I'm more likely to die from a bad pull or breaking cc then I am on a boss fight. I'm pretty sure that the only boss that killed me after the starting planet was the guy on Nar Shadda who requires non-force attacks for over half of the fight. I didn't even have my melee attacks on my action bar.

I remember my first death in beta quite clearly. Was having a blast thinking I was this unstoppable jedi consular force. Then I got to the flesh raider training grounds and decided to start knocking guys off edges for laughs. They would precede to path back to me pulling every pack on the way. I would die a horrible fleshraided death.

Started realizing what you are saying right there OP. Once you get your companion and get off the first planet they really start making it unforgiving, and I personally love it. Leveling in WoW is so easy it takes the fun out of any quest you do, regardless of the event. Which was a major failing with the questing revamp in Cata in my opinion but that's a different topic.
    The generalist looks outward; he looks for living principles, knowing full well that such principles change, that they develop. It is to the characteristics of change itself that the mentat-generalist must look. There can be no permanent catalogue of such change, no handbook or manual. You must look at it with as few preconceptions as possible, asking yourself, "Now what is this thing doing?" -Children of Dune

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I hate dying; it shows I failed.