Thread: Rift rotations

Rift rotations

I was just wondering if the rotations in this game are still a 1 button macro spam. Was interested in trying this again.

Quote Originally Posted by Sipep View Post
    I was just wondering if the rotations in this game are still a 1 button macro spam. Was interested in trying this again.
    You can still in some rare specs macro a lot together, but it is far from optimal and generally only done for convenience when performance doesn't matter, ie when you're grinding. The worst offender used to be warrior but a lot of stuff that wasn't on the GCD is, stuff that gave damage before no longer does etc, and I think Saboteur, but Sab got nerfed fairly hard and is currently undergoing a revamp, so that has gone too.

So you'll generally find that while it's still technically possible, no one does it because it sucks.

In truth only certain Cleric specs were able to get away with it due to no resource management. Good players of the other 3 classes had to manage a bit more than Clerics and the 1-button thing was never as effective as having more control.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    In truth only certain Cleric specs were able to get away with it due to no resource management. Good players of the other 3 classes had to manage a bit more than Clerics and the 1-button thing was never as effective as having more control.
    I think during 1.3 when warriors were dominant in PvP they were front loading a lot of their damage due to no GCD abilities and a certain spec that allowed a lot of abilities to be chained together, but that has long since been solved.

Just the interrupts.

Deleted
    They seem to be trying to change this in such a way that like tarien and fencers said you can still do it but it'll be far from optimal, the change to lightning hammer in 1.7 is a perfect example of this. It used to deal damage over 6 seconds and have a 6 second cooldown so you could macro it to the rest of your rotation and that would be that but now when talented the debuff lasts 14 seconds and actually deals more damage per tick starting low and ending high. You can still macro it if you like but obviously it's going to be doing a lot less damage. It's the same thing with rogue really, you can macro it all if you like but you'll end up wasting so many combo points that i can guarantee someone not using "1 button does all" will out dps you easily

Really macros are no different than any other game in practice. It's never been optimal or shall we say a great idea in load all your CDs &/or support abilities in one macro pack. Though one can certainly create some rather clever macros in other games.

Not sure how anyone ever got the impression that because it possible to fire 100 skills in sequence in Rift that was smartest way of play. If you know how MMOs of this stripe work than the notion would not even be a concern. It is, no offense intended, a "stupid question".

There are no viable Mage specs that are even close to being 1 button spam if played correctly.

I play a Cloro.
    I Just cast Vile Spores. Teehee. :3

I play a Cloro.
    I Just cast Vile Spores. Teehee. :3
    You're doing it wrong. My Chloro just casts Radiant Spores and sits back drinking Mai Tai's

I think you could do it with shaman up till last patch? Or so I read, but I think controlling your own abilities will always be better imo, especially if you are moving about a lot etc.

I don't macro anything playing my Inq... but then I don't see the need to as it's not very complicated.

Quote Originally Posted by Primalthirst View Post
    There are no viable Mage specs that are even close to being 1 button spam if played correctly.
    You could do 'ok' dps in a 51 pyro spec macro'ing flame bolt, countdown and fireball then hitting cinder procs. But yeah, 2 buttons I guess and it is FAR from optimal.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarien View Post
    You're doing it wrong. My Chloro just casts Radiant Spores and sits back drinking Mai Tai's
    Whatever! That's EZ mode. Some of us like a challenge!

Give me a second to set up this drinking bird on my 1 key and I'll commence with the slapping. /mage

Whatever! That's EZ mode. Some of us like a challenge!

Give me a second to set up this drinking bird on my 1 key and I'll commence with the slapping. /mage
    Lies, it is the epitomy of skill! Blanket eight enemies in a debuff that causes 26% of all damage received to heal the player dealing it. Skillz!

Drinking bird? Wut?

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffygong View Post
    You could do 'ok' dps in a 51 pyro spec macro'ing flame bolt, countdown and fireball then hitting cinder procs. But yeah, 2 buttons I guess and it is FAR from optimal.
    If by 'ok' you mean terrible, then yes.
    51 Pyro with proper Fulminate/Withering Flames/Internalize Charge use is still 10+% behind Pyrolock, using half a gimp spec is pretty bad.

If you're Chloroing with only Vile Spores and Radiant Spores then you're doing it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Primalthirst View Post
    If you're Chloroing with only Vile Spores and Radiant Spores then you're doing it wrong.
    We're just joking Primal

You should read my guide to Cleric; "Still more skill than a Rogue!"

Step 1.

Step 2.

Step 3.

Step 4.