Thread: Wisdom Teeth??

Wisdom Teeth??

Hello everyone, I'm 18 years old and my wisdom teeth have been coming in since I was 16, none have fully came in only 3 have and the 4th hasn't even emerged yet. Sometimes when I chew with them they're a little sore and they don't bother me much. I've asked my mom how she handled things with my older brothers and sister with their wisdom teeth and she told me they've never had theirs taken out and they have nearly perfect teeth. I've heard a lot of bad rumors about wisdom teeth and the possibility that they have to be removed. I'd like to know everyone's opinions/experiences with wisdom teeth so I don't have to stress about it so much. Thanks.
    Miranda Rights: Miranda has the right to a decent man to help her raise her baby.

10+ Year Old Account
    All depends on how much pain they cause you. With them still coming up, you will feel pain if you push on them. Are they coming in straight or running along the jawline? This would be best looked at by a dentist with a simple x-ray. The thing is however, having wisdom teeth removed can be a huge pain. I've had mine in since I was 14 (Was young, stupid, and was dared to rip a few molers out..and yeah..mine ended up coming in early because of it)

A Military dentist told me I needed them out and that I would be feeling pain in 2 years. Its been 6 and I've had no problems. So, also keep in mind a dentist can always say they need to come out, when they may not be causing any problems.

Deleted
    Had 2 of them pulled 10 or 11 years ago for no apparent reason. Don't miss em a bit!

If you do decide to take them out, dear god don't do local anesthesia (unless you have a condition where you cant be put under).

From what my aunt told me (She's a dentist). Wisdom teeth are less painful to remove the earlier you remove them because your gums aren't as ... hard (sorry can't find a better word for that) when you're young, so you get less pain from the recovery. Wisdom teeth might never be an issue to some people, but some people might get a lot of troubles from it, so a lot of people get it removed by prevention...

Had mine removed last summer and I can honestly say it wasn't a bad experience. You sit in a chair, get put under, and wake up without any pains. After 2 or so weeks of rest you can go back to functioning as normal. The only downside is you can't eat solid foods while recovering, but there is almost no pain and very little medicine to take.

My teeth haven't been coming in at any strange angles and while they were coming in I had gotten an x-ray and they didn't mention anything about them only about 2 cavities I had.
    Miranda Rights: Miranda has the right to a decent man to help her raise her baby.

Quote Originally Posted by Foosha View Post
    If you do decide to take them out, dear god don't do local anesthesia (unless you have a condition where you cant be put under).
    depends on how far they've come out and if they hurt or not.
    I had 2 that hurt a lot and removing them was a pain in the ass. The other 2 didn't hurt and they were fully emerged so that I didn't feel it at all when my dentist removed them \o/

Deleted
    I have no idea what these people are talking about. I got local anesthesia and the only "pain" was a slight pressure on my jaw.
    They told me not to drink/eat/smoke for a few hours, so i didn't. Few hours later and all was back to normal!

My mouth was too small to fit my wisdom teeth in addition to the ones I already had - they were pushing my teeth out of alignment, and my other teeth were already extremely tight to begin with.

I had mine out; most memorable part was waking up on the bench outside of the room where they did the procedure with lots of gauze and an unpleasant flavor in my mouth. That, and a few days later waking up from a drug induced nap to realize my puppy dog had nommed on my glasses so one lens was pretty scratched up. The second one is a cuter, fonder memory.

If your mouth has room for them, leave them alone. If your mouth doesn't have room for them, or they're growing in at an angle that might cause you problems, consider taking them out. Probably be best if you visited your dentist and asked their opinion - and if they suggest removing them, be sure to ask *why* so you know it's more than just a knee jerk, "This is what we do, though we don't actually need to anymore," sort of thing.

EDIT: to add, I was put under for my procedure, they hadn't emerged (there wasn't ROOM for that) and had all of mine removed at once. I don't recall there really being a whole lot of pain involved in my recovery - they prescribed good drugs, and I healed up pretty quickly, although certain things would make it hurt more (laughing, drinking through a straw, that sort of thing).
    Last edited by Chirri; 2012-03-03 at 03:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gingerhunter247 View Post
    Had mine removed last summer and I can honestly say it wasn't a bad experience. You sit in a chair, get put under, and wake up without any pains. After 2 or so weeks of rest you can go back to functioning as normal. The only downside is you can't eat solid foods while recovering, but there is almost no pain and very little medicine to take.
    I had the opposite experience. I woke up in the middle, in extreme pain. Took immence effort to raise my hand to alert to them to the fact i was awake. When it was over, most/all pain suppression from the drug they had use to put me under wore off within 5 minutes. They would not give me anything more for the pain, except a prescription to go fill at a pharmacy across town and would not even let me leave until i sat in the chair for another 10 minutes.

I was in tears waiting in the car for my mother to fill the prescription.

Bring some kind of pain killer with you to take afterwards if necessary.
    Last edited by openair; 2012-03-03 at 03:52 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I got all mine out. All 4 in one go. I don't think they put me all the way under, because i remember hearing the surgeon talk and i remember feeling grinding on my lower jaw. recovery went very well. It wasnt bad the first few hours, then the numbing of lower lip just annoyed me a lot. felt like my lip was vibrating. Didnt really hurt. Not nearly as bad as getting your tonsils out at 19. i thought i was going to die haha.

I had all four removed as they were wrecking my orthodontic work.

My bottom set was removed when I was sixteen and I was awake for the procedure. They gave me valium (which I'd said I didn't want as it makes me stay awake) and that was the worst part-- I was up all night after the surgery. There was a little bit of bleeding after I finally fell asleep but no pain. I didn't take any of the meds they'd given me. The stitches dissolved without issue.

They put me out for the top set (early 20-something). They didn't have to cut through bone but it wouldn't have been comfortable regardless of how numb I was. I was back to work the next day but I got the teeniest of crumbs stuck near one of the incisions. Not going to lie-- THAT hurt. I left my shift early and had to have a relative drive me the two hours back to the surgeon (it was that bad). They spritzed it with a bit of water and the pain was instantly gone. They then gave me a little plastic syringe that curved so I could take care of it if it happened again. A rather unfortunate oversight for me on their part but an easy fix: just ask them for one!

I had mine removed 1 1/2 years ago. I had to get mine out because they were coming in crooked, and the doctor told me if I didn't get them out, they would push my perfectly straight teeth forward and it would hurt really bad. So, as a naturally nervous person, I was a complete mess for a week before it. My mom told me it was going to be fine, I believed her, but I still felt sick about it. Gave my self a worry stomach ache. Went in, took him forever to get me asleep, he said I had a thick jaw. But, 30 minutes later, I woke up, went home and slept it off. Really wasn't as big of a deal as I made it seem XD

Unless they're causing pain or problems chewing, don't worry about them. But if they are, it's better to get them removed sooner rather than later. I waited far too long to get mine taken out, and it made it a very unpleasant experience. If you get them out early, you should just have a few days of mild pain and a restricted diet for a couple of weeks. People tend to make a much bigger deal out of it than it really is.

10+ Year Old Account
    There forums are an excellent place for medical advice. : P

I would talk to your dentist about it. You don't know how they're growing until you get an X-ray done. For example, two of mine were growing 90 degrees to the other teeth, and yet I didn't have pain (though I likely would in a few years). It's a common and simple procedure. The recovery time is quick too, most people will be eating solids within the week, and external signs of the surgery (usually bruising) are relatively rare and benign. Just don't drive yourself home.

10+ Year Old Account
    I only had 2. Both top teeth. They put quite a bit of pressure on my top teeth so I had them taken out. Was easy, 5 mins and they were out. Once the bleeding stopped it was fine. Not really any pain either.

15+ Year Old Account
    Although I respect our users and their experiences, I want you to visit an orthodontist and listen to their opinion.

Anecdotes are not a substitute for medical opinion.