10+ Year Old Account

Been leveling a rogue - no AoE until 80 FTL?

Hi all,

So, I've been leveling a rogue for a little bit and it's been fine but, I'm finding the lack of AoE to be really annoying. Sure, we get FoK at 80 but, it's my feeling there should be something between 1 and 79, no? Is this a common complaint among rogues or am I missing something?

Also, just as an aside, I think a targeted bomb AoE would be cool. It creates a poisonous gas cloud in the targeted area for X seconds. Anyways...any thoughts? Thanks,

PS: I very well could be missing a talent or skill that satisfies this need so, sorry if I'm missing it; haven't been playing for long. :P

EDIT: OK, so Blade Flurry but, I don't like combat. I've been Assassination since level 10 and wanna go Sub for the other...is this just a case of too bad, then? I mean, one spec gets an 'AoE', the other two have to suck it up till 80? =/
    Last edited by Vidur; 2012-03-03 at 06:36 AM.

'What other people think of me is none of my business" - RuPaul

10+ Year Old Account
    What Rough said. Go combat and get Blade Flurry. You'll win at life!

Quote Originally Posted by RoughJustice View Post
    Blade Flurry > FoK
    Pretty much this. You get it at 10 which pretty much solves your problem, and trash mobs don't really live long enough to make the only decent fok (assassination's poisons) add up anyway.

Also rather than them adding some new ae which really has no point just because FoK is a level 80 ability, I would rather them just make FoK available at lower levels. We have enough buttons, I don't need a bomb ae which is either better or worse than FoK making the other pointless.

Sucks to have tricks and not fan(if im remembering correctly) but as others said for dungeons blade flurry works.

Deleted
    Well you can start using flade flurry from level 10. The cleave damage is more than enuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Vidur View Post
    Hi all,

So, I've been leveling a rogue for a little bit and it's been fine but, I'm finding the lack of AoE to be really annoying. Sure, we get FoK at 80 but, it's my feeling there should be something between 1 and 79, no? Is this a common complaint among rogues or am I missing something?

Also, just as an aside, I think a targeted bomb AoE would be cool. It creates a poisonous gas cloud in the targeted area for X seconds. Anyways...any thoughts? Thanks,

PS: I very well could be missing a talent or skill that satisfies this need so, sorry if I'm missing it; haven't been playing for long. :P

10+ Year Old Account
    While you're leveling, in dungeons once the AoE starts up, and in a couple of quest locations, the lack of AoE can be... discouraging. For better or worse, you should know that (outside specific assassination burst-AoE setups or LONG-term AoE setups -- still assassination) you're not missing any AoE, at all. FoK is only used on 1, and sometimes 2, fights in current raid content, including trash pulls.

From a raid perspective, you really won't miss it, with a couple of exceptions. Blade Flurry IS immensely, stupidly powerful, and our single target DPS is quite good. Up until ~wrath, you should find Flurry really keeps up with the AoE just fine, and it'll keep up again in Cata. The giant-pull-4-groups-of-mobs wrath dungeons are the only ones that should make you feel like you're lost in AoE situations. Hit 80, learn FoK, enter cata dungeons, find out you can actually use a finisher with 5 CP and don't have 25 targets in 5 yards, and you'll take FoK back off your bar.

In response to your comment that one spec gets "AoE" it's more like 1 has AoE-ish and 1 has the best cleave in the game. I don't particularly enjoy combat either, but if you want to top the charts going through the levels, and in heroics after that, and raid trash, and selectively raid bosses, blade flurry is the option that nets you the biggest bang for your talent buck. If you don't have your heart attached to assassination and want to use the ideal or near-ideal setup for both specs you have in current raid content once you hit 85, I'd recommend speccing for sub and combat, which won't flop like a fish on water if you're reforged for one and using the other.
    Last edited by Kael; 2012-03-03 at 07:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mugajak View Post
    While you're leveling, in dungeons once the AoE starts up, and in a couple of quest locations, the lack of AoE can be... discouraging. For better or worse, you should know that (outside specific assassination burst-AoE setups or LONG-term AoE setups -- still assassination) you're not missing any AoE, at all. FoK is only used on 1, and sometimes 2, fights in current raid content, including trash pulls.
    What fights do you use FoK on.. AND WHY?

Rogue damage at any level between 1 and 80 is pretty much garbage; AoE or not.

When you're questing, I recommend Sub if you have a enough heirlooms to 3 shot mobs (Ambush, Hemo, Hemo, Recup). When you're doing dungeons, I recommend Combat. On trash, you put up Blade Flurry, spam Sinister Strike and keep Slice and Dice up. Slice and Dice here is very important. Only on Bosses do you use the normal Combat rotation.

Rogues are one of the more painful classes to level, even though they are strong in PvP.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolard View Post
    What fights do you use FoK on.. AND WHY?
    Personally, I only use FoK with WP on Madness for the bloods to make sure they collapse without healing, but my bear's 25H Yor was so very short on AoE once that we had to have a rogue go assassination to get black phase adds down before the next ooze reached the boss. That was a long week.

Anything else, OP?

10+ Year Old Account
    You should rename the thread to Rogues - No AoE?

Cause come on, FoK is terrible. Blade Flurry is awesome but it's not quite AoE. (Inbefore: Area of Effect vs Strikes an Additional opponent. Key words: Area and Additional.)

Quote Originally Posted by Vidur View Post
    So, I've been leveling a rogue for a little bit and it's been fine but, I'm finding the lack of AoE to be really annoying.
    Sadly (as many have pointed out) you'll find the overwhelming weakness of FoK more annoying.

Deleted
    i leveled a rogue dinged 80 and was happy like a child to get FoK...got it -> sad panda