[TV] Allen Gregory - Funny or Controversial?

So this show started playing about a month ago where I live, and I've seen about 4-5 episodes of it.

I honestly thought it was really funny. Then I went to IMDB to see what other people thought, and I was pretty surprised at their opinions.

>>>>Spoilers from this point onwards, if you care about being spoiled for a cartoon<<<<

Is the show funny, or too far/controversial?

Let me put the top rated review on imdb here:

Awful. There is no word in any language that could describe this show more appropriately. After various hits such as Family Guy and American Dad, both of which are funny, they give us Allen Gregory. The main character is basically Stewie Griffin, just trite and obnoxiously unfunny. I had no opinion of Jonah Hill going into this show and I tried to like it, being as it is crammed in the middle of Animation Domination.

I struggled finding the angle that this show was using to sell itself. I read that this show is smart and witty. Nope. My best guess and opinion that the angle the creator took was too annoy the audience. I don't see how this would work but then again if I saw this pilot I would laugh the creator out of my office. After watching South Park for half my life maybe I am hard to impress.

I can say with absolute sureness that this show will go no longer that one season, if even that. Rule one. When you are making a character, make them likable. I think that Handiquack's was a much better idea then this trash.
    Okay, for those of you who don't keep up with the show, I'll give you a bit of information about it:

*The main character is a 7 year old spoiled rich kid, pompous, thinks the world revolves around him
    *He goes to school and tries to make everyone like him
    *He has sexual fantasies about his 60+ year old obese principal, who is married, and he openly courts her
    *He is racist, sexist, and the show is filled with jokes pertaining to these qualities
    *His parents are two men, gay lovers. One isn't actually gay, but was forced to marry the other.
    *Allen Gregory is not a likable character at all for any positive traits

The show is based off of satire and sarcasm. You just laugh at how offensive the characters are. Personally, I feel that it's not as bad as people think it is; I never miss a show. I think people are being way too sensitive about this.

Edit: I'm watching the show right now, and they just did a perfect example of an offensively funny joke.

*Allen Gregory comes into the classroom, and talks about his mother*
    *Student A says Allen Gregory's mom is really nice*
    *Student B says "my mom used to be nice... before she died..."*
    *Student C (who is the popular, bully character) says "Get over it! That was 3 months ago! Jeez!*

And then the next day

*The teacher is saying that she wants to call Allen Gregory's mom in to discuss his attitude*
    *Allen Gregory tells the teacher "don't talk about moms in front of Student B!"
    *Student B says "it's okay Allen Gregory, Student C said I was over it now."

It's a lot funnier when you see it of course.

Last edited by vizzle; 2012-03-03 at 01:59 PM.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Deleted
    Funny or Controversial?

Who said they have to be exclusively separate?

Can't really make a judgement on the show however, I've never seen, or heard of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Istaril View Post
    Funny or Controversial?

Who said they have to be exclusively separate?

Can't really make a judgement on the show however, I've never seen, or heard of it.
    Yes, but for some people there is a point where it's just too controversial. I do agree that controversial stuff can be funny and usually is.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

I thought it was pretty funny.
    Meanwhile, back on Azeroth, the overwhelming majority of the orcs languished in internment camps. One Orc had a dream. A dream to reunite the disparate souls trapped under the lock and key of the Alliance. So he raided the internment camps, freeing those orcs that he could, and reached out to a downtrodden tribe of trolls to aid him in rebuilding a Horde where orcs could live free of the humans who defeated them so long ago. That orc's name was... Rend.

I don't find it controversial. Sadly it's not too funny either.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Not funny nor controversial, just contrived and trying so desperately hard to be "vulgar" it becomes pathetic.