Deleted

Question on RAM slots

I'm organizing the parts I need for a computer build I'm plaining on building however I noticed something about RAM on a motherboard which has confused me.

I saw this motherboard which I was considering to buy but then saw that the maximum memory size was 32GB when it only has 4 slots. I thought you could only upgrade with RAM sticks which has 4GB at a time. Also I noticed that there are different channels such as one board has a duel channel and another a quad. What is the difference and what effect does it have on performance? Should I consider this when buying my components?

Thanks. This will be my first build so I'm researching these issues before I begin.

Well this is a pretty basic thing nowadays and if you don't know what these are I'm a little worried about your build. First off most motherboards can support a max of 32GB of RAM typically in the form of 4x8GB sticks. The duel channel and quad channel memory slots are also a feature most motherboards have that allow you to get the most out of your memory. Typically it's always best to have RAM sticks in pairs and that is for the duel channel feature so for example 2x4GB sticks or 2x8GB sticks which would be placed into the duel channel slots. Essentially it increases the transfer speed of data between the two DRAM slots.

Deleted
    Thanks,

I know its a basic question but I get paranoid that if I don't ask, something will go wrong and I was confused as to why there are different channels and what do they do differently. Usually I just buy the correct RAM type and slot them in and works fine. So by the sounds of it, a quad channel board would be useless to me.

You probably don't need quad channel, how much RAM are you planning on using? Most people just get 4-8GB which is typically best as 2x2GB sticks in duel channel or 2x4GB sticks in duel channel. Pretty much every motherboard these days has duel channel DRAM slots so that won't be a problem.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you could post a link or tell us which motherboard you are looking at, we can tell you what the ideal configuration and RAM sticks you should get. Generally, you will be using that 2x2GB or the 2x4GB configuration with a board with 4 RAM slots available.

Dual, triple or quad channel RAM depends on the CPU. For example, Intel i7-9xx series use triple channel RAM, Intel sandy bridge i3, i5, i7-2xxx use dual channel, and Intel Sandy bridge-e i7-3xxx use quad channel. Tests has shown almost no performance difference, it's just different way of managing memory.
    Intel Core i5 2500k @ 4.7GHz | MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G x2 in SLI | ASRock Extreme3 Gen3 Motherboard
    8 GB of Kingston HyperX DDR3 | Western Digital Caviar Green 1 TB | Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB
    2x Samsung 840 Pro 128 GB + Corsair Force 3 120 GB SSDs (three-way raid 0)
    Cooler Master HAF 912 plus case | Corsair AX1200 power supply | Thermaltake NiC C5 Untouchable CPU cooler
    Asus PG278Q ROG SWIFT (1440p @ 144 Hz, GSync + 3D vision)

Deleted
    Thanks I understand better now. I was just looking between 2 motherboards, one using quad channel and the other duel channel but considering what you all said, I will stick to the cheaper duel channel. My old motherboard was using a simple intel i7 CPU and I had 3x2GB RAM and I don't think it was triple channel motherboard. I never noticed any issue with doing this so I doubt this would be a problem now.

Deleted
    Btw, off topic but 'dual' is spelt 'dual', not 'duel'.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by himynameiswill View Post
    Btw, off topic but 'dual' is spelt 'dual', not 'duel'.
    dual: two parts, either identical or working together

duel: a formal combat with weapons fought between two persons in the presence of witnesses

Quote Originally Posted by Pharrax View Post
    Thanks I understand better now. I was just looking between 2 motherboards, one using quad channel and the other duel channel but considering what you all said, I will stick to the cheaper duel channel. My old motherboard was using a simple intel i7 CPU and I had 3x2GB RAM and I don't think it was triple channel motherboard. I never noticed any issue with doing this so I doubt this would be a problem now.
    It was triple channel . The number-channel shows how many sticks form a pair. For dual channel RAM, you have pairs of 2 sticks, in triple channel - you have pairs of 3 sticks and in quad channel you have pairs of 4 sticks.
    Intel Core i5 2500k @ 4.7GHz | MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G x2 in SLI | ASRock Extreme3 Gen3 Motherboard
    8 GB of Kingston HyperX DDR3 | Western Digital Caviar Green 1 TB | Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB
    2x Samsung 840 Pro 128 GB + Corsair Force 3 120 GB SSDs (three-way raid 0)
    Cooler Master HAF 912 plus case | Corsair AX1200 power supply | Thermaltake NiC C5 Untouchable CPU cooler
    Asus PG278Q ROG SWIFT (1440p @ 144 Hz, GSync + 3D vision)

Deleted
    what would happen if you had 4 sticks of RAM but it was duel channel not quad channel? They are still in pairs of 2. Also what would happen if you used three sticks on a quad or dual channel?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pharrax View Post
    what would happen if you had 4 sticks of RAM but it was duel channel not quad channel? They are still in pairs of 2. Also what would happen if you used three sticks on a quad or dual channel?
    4 would still result in dual channel assuming that all the pairs are identical in speed and size. Can mix sizes between the 2 pairs though, IE 2x4GB + 2x2GB.

3sticks on a dual channel would result in the whole system dropping down to single channel and I assume that would be the case on a quad channel board as well.