Thread: Auto Balancing

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Larynx View Post
    Slightly off-topic, but what do people call the genre? I've heard Action-RTS or MOBA. Are they both correct?
    They seem to be called MOBA (Multiplayer Online Battle Arena) right now. I have not heard Action-RTS before.

Right now, what I'm wondering... in what PvP does the auto-balancing take place?
    I think I've yet to figure out what PvP there is besides WvW.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    They seem to be called MOBA (Multiplayer Online Battle Arena) right now. I have not heard Action-RTS before.

Right now, what I'm wondering... in what PvP does the auto-balancing take place?
    I think I've yet to figure out what PvP there is besides WvW.
    Hot join PvP.

There's also competitive PvP, which is like Hot join, but... competitive. It's like rated BGs in WoW. But with 5v5 instead of 10v10.

10+ Year Old Account
    Okay, so basically BGs...

The auto balancing feature should, realistically, have only been a part of the beta then.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    Okay, so basically BGs...

The auto balancing feature should, realistically, have only been a part of the beta then.
    Right now there's two maps, and both are capture the node and get points.

I'd personally like more variety, like each map is a different game.

The node capturing, a capture the flag, murderball, some sort of mini WvW (sort of like the Wrath BGs, but be more than player vs vehicle), a deathmatch style with a limited amount of spawns, and payload.

Those are my ideas for potential BGs. =P

As for the WvW style one, it'd be a siege of sorts with one side defending and the other side attacking. The team that can infiltrate the base and get out with some sort of treasure the fasted would win.

10+ Year Old Account
    Right now there's two maps, and both are capture the node and get points.

I'd personally like more variety, like each map is a different game.

The node capturing, a capture the flag, murderball, some sort of mini WvW (sort of like the Wrath BGs, but be more than player vs vehicle), a deathmatch style with a limited amount of spawns, and payload.

Those are my ideas for potential BGs. =P

As for the WvW style one, it'd be a siege of sorts with one side defending and the other side attacking. The team that can infiltrate the base and get out with some sort of treasure the fasted would win.
    ACtually, they said in a few interviews they want to try to just stick with Capture the Node because it's a very simple concept and very easy for new people to pick it up. HOWEVER they want to add a unique thing to each one of them, for example the trebuchets and destructible environment for the battle of Khylo, or the mobs in the forest one. I was told killing the mobs gave your entire team a buff (like killing baron in LoL) and gave you a good chunk of points, but it takes pretty much your entire team to capture them.

I believe i heard one of them say they were going to probably make one that was either entirerly underwater, or had a good portion of it under water, and a friend of a friend (so reliable right?) told me they were going to make at least one that had around 5 points instead of just 3. So they want to keep the concept simple, but they want to still make them all unique, which i have no problem with since WvWvW pretty much incorporates everything else into one massive BG of sexy awesome death.
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by airea View Post
    "Put up against them"? I understand what you're saying, but a more realistic conclusion would be "Lose to them." The main reason people leave matches, especially in MMOs, is when their team isn't doing so great. Getting autodrafted to the enemy team after it gets a bunch of deserters is like working really hard on a group project in a college course, then being forced to join a group of lazy asses 3 days before the assignment is due because the only two decent students in their group ditched the course out of frustration, then getting an F because you were still overcome by people you were never supposed to be with in the first place.

It's a painful experience, and for me, it's never been remotely enjoyable. I sure hope they just pull new people in from lobbies.
    In the past, I've seen games move the strongest player from one team, to the other team. This very strongly evens out the sides. You'll probably get some form of advantage for swapping sides. I'm unsure if there's a pvp currency, or win/loss system, but I'm sure they won't bone you completely for being autobalanced off your team.

10+ Year Old Account
    League of Legends

AKA Dota clone. But its it's own game.
    an AMAZING dota clone
    The Original Ganksta

Top 100 US daggers. yeah, you're jelly alright

Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    then again i'm pretty sure you're smarter then the average dumbass

Quote Originally Posted by Glytch View Post
    an AMAZING dota clone
    I'm not putting the quality of the game in question.

Quote Originally Posted by Pejo View Post
    TOR war zones are far from fine in this aspect. The problem with no debuff in TOR is it causes a chain reaction of everyone leaving if you are losing. I constantly watch people if you aren't winning right from the start. With all the leaving, it puts you at a massive disadvantage at catching up especially with wz's like Void Star where the entrance takes forever.
    And that problem in ToR can be fixed very easily. Simply make the daily "Complete 3 warzones" instead of "Win 3 warzones". Done, 90% of your leavers will now stick around. Slapping on a debuff will do NOTHING. All you get is people who know they are going to lose, and they will do nothing (AFK) or just dick around or even do everything in their power to LOSE FASTER. Such as taking the huttball to their own goal line. Or it will downright deter some people from playing, increasing the time you spend in a queu as less partake in pvp.

I know the devs lack any imagination or understanding of such fundamentals, which is why they are slapping on a penalty-system in the future. Mark my words, it will make pvp worst.

Stop complaining. Auto balancing exists in every other game out there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gmike View Post
    WoW does not auto-balance a Horde player to the Alliance when somebody leaves a BG...

LoL does not move you from the blue team to purple just because two people left purple team...

Quote Originally Posted by gmike View Post
    If you're convinced Counterstrike and Call of Duty are the only other games that exist, then yah sure.

ACtually, they said in a few interviews they want to try to just stick with Capture the Node because it's a very simple concept and very easy for new people to pick it up. HOWEVER they want to add a unique thing to each one of them, for example the trebuchets and destructible environment for the battle of Khylo, or the mobs in the forest one. I was told killing the mobs gave your entire team a buff (like killing baron in LoL) and gave you a good chunk of points, but it takes pretty much your entire team to capture them.

I believe i heard one of them say they were going to probably make one that was either entirerly underwater, or had a good portion of it under water, and a friend of a friend (so reliable right?) told me they were going to make at least one that had around 5 points instead of just 3. So they want to keep the concept simple, but they want to still make them all unique, which i have no problem with since WvWvW pretty much incorporates everything else into one massive BG of sexy awesome death.
    This is severely disappointing. Nothing wrong with capture point maps I enjoy them very much, but providing only one game mode is terrible design. I wish they would include at least a capture the flag map, eye of the storm style, as to include capture points as well. I loved that BG.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Balfire View Post
    This is severely disappointing. Nothing wrong with capture point maps I enjoy them very much, but providing only one game mode is terrible design. I wish they would include at least a capture the flag map, eye of the storm style, as to include capture points as well. I loved that BG.
    or guild vs guild format

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Gvg#Prototypical_builds
    Last edited by Glytch; 2012-03-04 at 04:14 PM.
    The Original Ganksta

Top 100 US daggers. yeah, you're jelly alright

then again i'm pretty sure you're smarter then the average dumbass

10+ Year Old Account
    They probably will have a map like EOTS, they just want to have capture poińs as the main goal and then make it more complicated with a unique thing on the map. The gvg combat thing seems to be a bit revamped and thrown into WvW at least thats how I see it.
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

In the Beta, if the teams are unbalanced it will ask if anyone wants to join the other side. If no one answers yes, then it will autobalance the teams, similar to how an FPS does it.
    unbalanced how?
    Isnt 10% of infinite still infinite?

Quote Originally Posted by ambigiouslynamed View Post
    unbalanced how?
    Unbalanced by Skill or Numbers, it's been mentioned about a few times in the thread~
    - Guild Wars 2 Characters -
    Senari of the Woad | Riven Lightsbane | Cain the Mystic

Deleted
    I hope there won't be a deserter debuff. Stupidest idea ever.

Maybe a debuff is you frequently leave BGs, but the system in WoW is just terrible. Tor doesn't have any deserter debuffs, and the warzones are just fine.
    Its sounds like you just take any chance you get to bash on WoW. SWTOR doesn't have them no but they're going to add them because of people AFK'ing during Warzones etc. etc.

I hope there will be some sort of penalty for people AFK'ing the whole fight.

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly, it makes sense to me to stick to one basic core design for the hot join PvP, but add in unique mechanics to each map to still make it different. In WoW, I never liked SotA or IoC. They moved too far away from actually playing your character, and focused too much on siege weapons. It's a neat and unique concept, but it just doesn't work. I didn't like the new Cata BGs either, simply because they're only smaller-sized versions of maps they already have, with nothing new or unique about it besides having it on a different map.

So I'm eager to see what ANet can come up with.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitrias View Post
    Its sounds like you just take any chance you get to bash on WoW. SWTOR doesn't have them no but they're going to add them because of people AFK'ing during Warzones etc. etc.

I hope there will be some sort of penalty for people AFK'ing the whole fight.
    Actually I think WoW is a great game.