Page 1 of 4
1
2
3
... LastLast
  1. #1
    The Lightbringer Kickbuttmario's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Mushroom Kingdom
    Posts
    3,027

    How does Guild Wars 1 Differ from the other MMO's?

    So it became quite obvious at this point that GW2 won't be coming out till at least the end of Q3 or somewhere down Q4. It is very obvious they don't want to release it too late.

    Thus, I decided to try to get the trial of the game and probably buy it if I like it. However, I have always heard that this game was best known for shaking up things in the MMORPG genre. So I wish to know, what are the differences.

    List any if possible, thanks .
    I am KickButtMario. I kick butt because I am Mario. The coolest, longest, living, protagonist out there in the video game industry.

    Currently playing WoW, Elder Scrolls 4 Oblivion and Dark Souls 2.

  2. #2
    Dreadlord Rakeer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    The realm of Torment
    Posts
    883
    well for starters, its not an MMORPG. It's a Co-RPG. you dont have to team with anyone if ya dont want to (though elite content will be impossible). The graphics are better then most online games (excluding console game cross overs like CoD) but the controls arent very fluid. there is also less of a need to make yourself good, instead its more emphasis on making youre team good, which can have people or NPCs, but the NPCs can be mildy retarded at times.

  3. #3
    Scarab Lord Blznsmri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    San Antonio, Texas
    Posts
    4,055
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickbuttmario View Post
    So it became quite obvious at this point that GW2 won't be coming out till at least the end of Q3 or somewhere down Q4. It is very obvious they don't want to release it too late.

    Thus, I decided to try to get the trial of the game and probably buy it if I like it. However, I have always heard that this game was best known for shaking up things in the MMORPG genre. So I wish to know, what are the differences.

    List any if possible, thanks .
    First it isn't an MMO, it's a CORPG, which means Cooperative Online RPG.

    It doesn't have threat as most EQ-style online games do, not gear dependent, it was Buy-2-Play from the get go, doesn't use a Talent system. You've got access to 1300 skills but you can only use 8 at a time. So on and so forth.
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

  4. #4
    High Overlord Rhomaioi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Fredericia, Denmark
    Posts
    195
    GW1 is less of a MMORPG and more of a Co-opRPG

    There is no persistent world, only towns and outposts aren't instanced.
    The game is divided into 4 campaigns, which you buy individually. Each campaign has a set of missions that you complete to get to the end boss.
    Armor doesn't get better past a certain point quite early in the game.

    There's a lot more, but I'm too tired to think of more.
    The Elder Trolls - I hope I never see them on the forums, ever...

  5. #5
    Pandaren Monk nalle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    1,827
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickbuttmario View Post
    So it became quite obvious at this point that GW2 won't be coming out till at least the end of Q3 or somewhere down Q4. It is very obvious they don't want to release it too late.
    Just got stuck on this bit of your post and I have to say, no it is not obvious that the game wont be released in the coming 2-3 months, there is actually points that more then just lightly hint to that the game will be released relatively soon after the closed public beta (which is starting in late March)...

    OT: As others have stated, Guild Wars 1 is not really an MMO it's a Co-RPG.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellspawnxxx View Post
    Thank god you posted that pic done by Da Vinci The vitruvian man because to be honest I had NOOOO Idea what a Human body looked liked therefor had NO idea what you were refering too. With that said the sylvari are made of lettuce. If I twist up some cabage leaves too look like a human, it doesnt make it monohuman.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti View Post
    That picture has four arms and four legs. It's not a human, so it's clearly a spider.

  6. #6
    The Lightbringer Kickbuttmario's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Mushroom Kingdom
    Posts
    3,027
    Quote Originally Posted by nalle View Post
    Just got stuck on this bit of your post and I have to say, no it is not obvious that the game wont be released in the coming 2-3 months, there is actually points that more then just lightly hint to that the game will be released relatively soon after the closed public beta (which is starting in late March)...

    OT: As others have stated, Guild Wars 1 is not really an MMO it's a Co-RPG.
    Even after beta, the gaming company needs at least a month to make sure everything is done and perfecto. Then they do all that distribution and voila, the game is ready to be ours. However this is what I commonly see in some games. One game that is in the top of my head that never did this was SW:TOR.

    So for GW1, was the CORPG the biggest reason out there that made it a big success?
    I am KickButtMario. I kick butt because I am Mario. The coolest, longest, living, protagonist out there in the video game industry.

    Currently playing WoW, Elder Scrolls 4 Oblivion and Dark Souls 2.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickbuttmario View Post
    So for GW1, was the CORPG the biggest reason out there that made it a big success?
    I always thought it was because of the pvp, I haven't played it though.

  8. #8
    The Patient Klazmaunt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Alabama, USA
    Posts
    340
    So...the beta begins at the end of march. Which means beta done mid April. Which means "everything is done and perfecto" mid may which means a Q2 release. Not sure where you're getting Q3-Q4 numbers.

    But as they were saying, GW2 was a CORPG that was almost in a genre of its own. Nothing else was quite like it in my opinion. I think its uniqueness is what gave it such success.
    "It's not enough to live, you have to have something worth living for."

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickbuttmario View Post
    So for GW1, was the CORPG the biggest reason out there that made it a big success?
    The story is excellent, the gameplay is fun and balanced. People who don't like it, tend to not like it because of its heavy instancing (at least in my experience). You have several towns and outposts dotted throughout the map, and outside of those, you get your own, private copy of the world for you and your party. There are henchmen for hire that are basically NPCs built to act like player classes. There are also "Heroes' which are essentially henchmen you have more control over. You can change their equipment, their skill set, etc.

    I've found Guild Wars 1 to be a very polarizing game. You either love it, or you hate it. I'm part of the former category.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Blznsmri View Post
    First it isn't an MMO, it's a CORPG, which means Cooperative Online RPG.

    It doesn't have threat as most EQ-style online games do, not gear dependent, it was Buy-2-Play from the get go, doesn't use a Talent system. You've got access to 1300 skills but you can only use 8 at a time. So on and so forth.
    actually gw2 was confirmed to be a MMORPG by arenanet you must be thinking about GW1

  11. #11
    The Lightbringer Kickbuttmario's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Mushroom Kingdom
    Posts
    3,027
    Quote Originally Posted by vilereaver41 View Post
    actually gw2 was confirmed to be a MMORPG by arenanet you must be thinking about GW1
    the thread is talking about gw1.... lol
    I am KickButtMario. I kick butt because I am Mario. The coolest, longest, living, protagonist out there in the video game industry.

    Currently playing WoW, Elder Scrolls 4 Oblivion and Dark Souls 2.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickbuttmario View Post
    So for GW1, was the CORPG the biggest reason out there that made it a big success?
    It's cheapness made it a big success. It's not a particularly remarkable game compared to other MMOs of the era, but GW1 has remained cheap to play.

    GW1 was also more popular in Europe than in the US.

  13. #13
    Bloodsail Admiral Cuchulainn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    On the Exodar, lecturing Neophytes.
    Posts
    1,058
    Honestly, Kickbuttmario, you've been around this board long enough to tell the difference yourself (and yes, I'm talking about GW1). The only reason I can see you making this a topic is for the purpose of enlightening new users, or because you're actually that oblivious even after a suitable amount of posts. However, it's my strong belief that you're a very intelligent person living in the shadow of ignorance to fool the ignorant. It's something I do often, but I usually end up sounding ignorant anyway (haha). I blame the vodka.

    Anyway, I tried the demo about a year ago; it's really not all that great. Just invest the 50 bucks and get the full deal. It's a lot cheaper (and more bang for your buck) than WoW (IMO) for a great RPG experience. You can solo the game by yourself, pretty much, so there's really nothing to it. It can be a grind at times, but I found it to be enjoyable. However, once I got my 30/50 HoM I put the game down completely. Not because I started to hate it or get bored of it, but because it's so god damn outdatted like WoW.

    In all, it defies a lot of EQ conventions, and for its' time it was a revolutionary online RPG.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuchulainn View Post
    Honestly, Kickbuttmario, you've been around this board long enough to tell the difference yourself (and yes, I'm talking about GW1). The only reason I can see you making this a topic is for the purpose of enlightening new users, or because you're actually that oblivious even after a suitable amount of posts. However, it's my strong belief that you're a very intelligent person living in the shadow of ignorance to fool the ignorant. It's something I do often, but I usually end up sounding ignorant anyway (haha). I blame the vodka.
    How dare people ask questions on a forum. Flog them I say.
    6.0 Disc Priest Guide http://i.imgur.com/QbCmDc2l.jpg

  15. #15
    The Lightbringer Kickbuttmario's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Mushroom Kingdom
    Posts
    3,027
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuchulainn View Post
    Honestly, Kickbuttmario, you've been around this board long enough to tell the difference yourself (and yes, I'm talking about GW1). The only reason I can see you making this a topic is for the purpose of enlightening new users, or because you're actually that oblivious even after a suitable amount of posts. However, it's my strong belief that you're a very intelligent person living in the shadow of ignorance to fool the ignorant. It's something I do often, but I usually end up sounding ignorant anyway (haha). I blame the vodka.

    Anyway, I tried the demo about a year ago; it's really not all that great. Just invest the 50 bucks and get the full deal. It's a lot cheaper (and more bang for your buck) than WoW (IMO) for a great RPG experience. You can solo the game by yourself, pretty much, so there's really nothing to it. It can be a grind at times, but I found it to be enjoyable. However, once I got my 30/50 HoM I put the game down completely. Not because I started to hate it or get bored of it, but because it's so god damn outdatted like WoW.

    In all, it defies a lot of EQ conventions, and for its' time it was a revolutionary online RPG.
    I know the differences between GW2 and the other MMO's but not with GW1. This game confused me a lot when I played it as well. My friend made me try it to help me break from the wow addiction and he told me it was a better game than WOW. So I tried it. It honestly didn't feel that different. The game seems unorganized to me as there were certain classes I could become (last thing I remember, this was about 2 - 3 years ago). The controls feel a little clunky as well. I can play the game in max setting with 4x anti-alising or w/e its called with over 100 fps so that is a good thing I guess. And I knew about the instanced world exploration zones you could go into, which was also pretty cool but those were the only things I ever experienced. If what you're saying is true though, then I don't think getting GW1 will solve much. I got some indispose-able income which I can probably use for better games or current games to be more precise.
    I am KickButtMario. I kick butt because I am Mario. The coolest, longest, living, protagonist out there in the video game industry.

    Currently playing WoW, Elder Scrolls 4 Oblivion and Dark Souls 2.

  16. #16
    Immortal Maklor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    7,771
    Quote Originally Posted by Blznsmri View Post
    First it isn't an MMO, it's a CORPG, which means Cooperative Online RPG.
    Actually that's a misconception, CORPG is a term Anet came up with themselves for their marketing, it doesn't mean that it isn't a MMO because it IS.

  17. #17
    Scarab Lord Blznsmri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    San Antonio, Texas
    Posts
    4,055
    Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    Actually that's a misconception, CORPG is a term Anet came up with themselves for their marketing, it doesn't mean that it isn't a MMO because it IS.
    Actually, it's whatever Developers call it because it's their game and they know it best.
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

  18. #18
    There was quite a lot of things that set it apart from MMO's at the time. Off the top of my head, I can remember (and yes, this is written as if explaining it to new people)

    -Fully instanced areas outside of towns/outposts. No having to compete for quest mobs and such, which made it easy to farm certain things.

    -Multiple class characters. You weren't limited to just being a Warrior, or a Ranger, or a Necro, or something. You could be a Necromancer/Priest, or a Warrior/Ranger, or pretty much any combination. Some of them worked better than others, but all were pretty fun depending on the skills you chose which leads to...

    -Skills. There were thousands of skills to pick from, but you could only go out into an instance with 8 skills equipped. Because of this, there was a heavy focus on planning your skills, and some pretty harsh punishments if you picked wasteful or even useless skills that just didn't go with your play style

    -Stats. They didn't have Strength, or Agility, or anything like that. They had Swordsmanship, and Blood Rituals, and Illusions, and so much more. These served to further specialize your class, and help with picking your skills. If you wanted to be an Axe Warrior with a focus on surviving and buffing yourself, you'd put your points into Axes and Strength. If you wanted to use Hammers and help with your allies, buffing them and so on, you went Hammers and Tactics. Each class had 3 or so skill choice stats (ex. Axes, Swords, and Hammers for Warriors), that were available when you picked that class as a secondary. So, you could be a Mesmer with a Warrior Secondary who had a stat focus on casting Illusions and using Swords. Each class also had 1 main stat that was specific to that class as a primary, that usually had a passive effect. Strength for Warriors (armor pen), Fast Casting for Mesmers (faster casting), Energy Storage for Elementalists (more energy to use), and so on

    -No gear grinds every new tier. That's right. Once you had your lvl 20(ish) armor, you had the highest armor stats you could get. The only difference between your gear and the gear of that guy was the looks of it. Now, they did add in Elite versions of the top gear, which wasn't a stat upgrade. It just looked cooler. Stat wise, your gear was still identical to that guy's armor, even if he looks like he's wearing the remains of a giant metal eagle, while you're wearing something out of a gladiator movie.

    -No subscription. Guild Wars 1 was yours to play online as long as you wanted once you bought the original game. They made their money with outfits, bank upgrades, character slots, and little side stories that explained some of the games missing lore. The little stories would reward you with weapons at the end. Again, no different than other weapons in stats, just different looks.

    Again, this is all off the top of my head, with the idea of explaining it to people new to the game. These are just some of the bigger things, but when you get into it, you see that there is so much more to the game that set it apart from MMO's at the time, making it a great and wonderful game

  19. #19
    Immortal Maklor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    7,771
    Quote Originally Posted by Blznsmri View Post
    Actually, it's whatever Developers call it because it's their game and they know it best.
    Well no matter what they call it, it is what it is, I don't even see how anyone could argue that it's not a MMO.

    Just because it's called a CORPG doesn't mean it can't be a MMORPG at the same time, it's not like the terms are mutually exclusive.

    The reason some people think it isn't a MMO is because of it being very instanced but it doesn't really disqualify it in any way, by definition it is a MMO.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    Well no matter what they call it, it is what it is, I don't even see how anyone could argue that it's not a MMO.

    Just because it's called a CORPG doesn't mean it can't be a MMORPG at the same time, it's not like the terms are mutually exclusive.

    The reason some people think it isn't a MMO is because of it being very instanced but it doesn't really disqualify it in any way, by definition it is a MMO.
    Semantic-jumping aside, it is unlike the "traditional" MMORPGs we've come to expect. So unlike them that a different term could fit.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •