Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
LastLast
  1. #41
    Immortal Maklor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    7,355
    Quote Originally Posted by DrunkenBeard View Post
    ...SNIP....
    Well, I feel this post is gonna get pretty long if I keep at it. All in all Guild Wars is a challenging, very story-driven MMORPG where gear isn't very important while skills are extremely important. Fortunately, you can change your skills and redistribute your skill points at will given that you are in an Outpost.
    Very good description and also shows that while GW and GW2 are very different in many ways the "vision" behind it is the same, which is also why i suspect that many people that absolutely hated GW probably won't like GW2 either.

  2. #42
    I can´t think a reason why anyone hasnt mentioned the most important difference: "It´s not balanced".
    Before i get all the crits to this i want to follow up my argument why this is "GOOD".
    First of all you have 8 posible skills to put up in a bar from what almost 300 posibilities on one single class and being able to have a secondary class. ie (thinking in wow it would be kinda priest/warlock) XD awesome !! (or warrior/rogue) what i want to say is that you can put any 8 skills and be better than any class no need to balance the skills and nerf once and twice and three times the same skill in one expansion just to pull out same numbers as others.
    Balancing depends on you and not on the people that ask you just to "click this way" and you will be compensated with a new gear
    This actually make people "think" and "make" people better players, feel as a hero and enjoy the f***ing game.

  3. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by luedieniel View Post
    Are you sure about this?
    Yup. Arena.net have said it a few times in videos and interviews. The style of game and price point of GW1 are more attractive to EU players than US players. Why? I have no idea. But there it is in Anet's words.

  4. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by DrunkenBeard View Post
    I'm now halfway through Factions and I can say that it's a great game.

    Coming from WoW, it's a very "different" game. First there are things that you will easily understand :

    - Servers are called districts and you can switch from one to another on-demand using a simple selection box.
    - There are 4 campaigns, each campaign centers around a culture and a context in the Guild Wars Universe.
    - A campaign has missions, which are sets or Primary Quests leading to a boss and developing the story. There are also Secondary Quests but they generally don't impact the storyline and are optional. There are important Secondary Quests though, like the one to get a Signet of Capture.
    - There are lots of cinematics and storytelling.
    - The world is more or less divided into Outposts and Explorable Areas. While in an Outpost you can see everyone in your district, chat with them, etc. While in an Explorable Area you can only see and interact with people in your party.
    - Your party can be comprised of real players, of Henchmen (NPCs that have specific professions), of Heroes (Henchmen on steroids) and of Allies (NPCs that are part of the quest)

    Then there are things that are a little more difficult to understand if no one explains them to you :

    - "How do I get new gear ?". I think this is the question most people coming from WoW will be asking. Mobs don't drop armor. There is no AH and all armor is BoP anyway. To make it worse there a those guys called "Armorers" in every single Outpost, selling Armor with different names but same stats for ... Bolts of Cloth ? How am I going to get those ? Simples. Guild Wars isn't gear centric, meaning that you will rather quickly get the best gear you'll ever have stat wise. I am level 18 right now and I already have max gear. So how do you acquire it ? Salvaging. There are items that you can buy from Merchants that will enable you to salvage mob drops, salvaging gets you mats that you can then give to an Armorer NPC so he can craft a piece for you. Different names are for different skins. There is absolutely no difference stat-wise between your crappy 1k gloves and AwesomeVeteran's 1mill gloves.

    - The combat and mission system. Don't expect to roflstomp everything, the game is difficult if you're just starting. I have wiped countless times in Nahpui and I've ragequit just a couple hours ago after wiping on the final guards in Cathedral zu Heltzer. Also, if you wipe or you fail any mission objective you have to redo the mission from the beginning, there is no checkpoint. The combat is very dynamic, you have to be very aware of your surroundings, dodge arrows and projectiles, manage your heroes/henchmen, etc. If you die and someone battlereses you, you get sickness ... stackable. Everyone and anyone can res, even NPCs.

    - "Where the hell I'm I supposed to go now ?", a question you'll be asking yourself a lot at the beginning. There are no little markers in the minimap to indicate quest givers. Generally the last guy you've talked to will have further instructions for the completion of your primary quests. If there is absolutely no one to talk to and nothing in the quest log, you'll most likely have a little "Mission" button under your party frame that you can click to start the mission.


    Well, I feel this post is gonna get pretty long if I keep at it. All in all Guild Wars is a challenging, very story-driven MMORPG where gear isn't very important while skills are extremely important. Fortunately, you can change your skills and redistribute your skill points at will given that you are in an Outpost.
    That's very nice description.

    Have you done your attribute quests? Since you mentioned signet of capture quest, but not attribute point quests, so I though you might have missed these as game doesn't direct you to these quests in factions and prophecies as it does in nightfall. http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Attri...e_point_quests

  5. #45
    Herald of the Titans Kickbuttmario's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Mushroom Kingdom
    Posts
    2,632
    Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    Very good description and also shows that while GW and GW2 are very different in many ways the "vision" behind it is the same, which is also why i suspect that many people that absolutely hated GW probably won't like GW2 either.
    Yeah Drunkenbeared seriously convinced me to try it out now.

    Hmm and I agree about the people who hated GW and will most likely hate GW2. Or people who are tired of of the forced conforming/carrot chase type of MMORPGS like RIFT, WOW, Aion, and so forth.
    I am KickButtMario. I kick butt because I am Mario. The coolest, longest, living, protagonist out there in the video game industry.

    Currently playing Guild Wars 2 and Wildstar

  6. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickbuttmario View Post
    Yeah Drunkenbeared seriously convinced me to try it out now.

    Hmm and I agree about the people who hated GW and will most likely hate GW2. Or people who are tired of of the forced conforming/carrot chase type of MMORPGS like RIFT, WOW, Aion, and so forth.
    If you get the game and have any question/trouble just PM me or whisper me ingame. I'm Jamal Hakim, America 1 District. Generally there at 7:00+ GMT. Be warned that there is a preliminary shock to overcome when you're just starting the game. Also, you'll learn to stop using the space bar every 2 seconds (if you're coming from WoW ). I've just dinged 20 a couple hours ago (Yay max level !), been playing seriously since yesterday morning and the last missions were a complete blast. Certainly the best entertainment I have had this year. Here is a good advice : Unless there is really no one willing to group up, don't solo stuff just because you can. I have found the best thing is to duo missions, it's more fun and even when you wipe there is more motivation to go at it again. I was doing the Luxon Spear mission with an ingame buddy I met just today and we kept wiping on Argo (Gah, stupid AoE) but we kept coming again and again with different strategies until we killed him. I know for a fact that if I was doing it solo I'd have just quit the game and done something else with time after the first 2-3 wipes.

  7. #47
    The Lightbringer Glytch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    SA, TX
    Posts
    3,109
    <- needs friends to play GW1 with, all mine stopped playing

    been trying to rep my newly remade assassin to not too annoying so i can buy the asuran armor
    The Original Ganksta

    Top 100 US daggers. yeah, you're jelly alright

    Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    then again i'm pretty sure you're smarter then the average dumbass

  8. #48
    Immortal Maklor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    7,355
    Quote Originally Posted by DrunkenBeard View Post
    I was doing the Luxon Spear mission with an ingame buddy I met just today and we kept wiping on Argo (Gah, stupid AoE) but we kept coming again and again with different strategies until we killed him. I know for a fact that if I was doing it solo I'd have just quit the game and done something else with time after the first 2-3 wipes.
    I honestly think you should enjoy your frustration because soon you would be able to do it without any issues at all, I think I can solo that mission with just 4 heroes and get masters on hard mode.

    That's the main "bad" thing about GW, you do become incredibly powerful once you've unlocked many skills and heroes - it does actually get a bit too easy which is why they had to add the hard mode stuff.

    I recall failing at Argo as well back when Factions was new, but that was just one of many failures then, the "afflicted" mobs were much harder back then and the skills were less powerful (like most mesmer spells didn't actually do damage, they only interrupted/drained energy).

    I'm so glad that you are enjoying the game

  9. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by Deyadissa View Post
    It is a massively multiplayer online game, it's online and has over 7 million players.
    If those two things were all it took to count as a mmo, then the genre would explode in size. Of course, games like GW1 and DDO try their best to pretend that they are mmo games, but really, they aren't. They are just your common lobby based multiplayer game, like the older Diablo series. Sure, the lobby is a much fancier 3d variant, but that makes it no less a lobby.

    The key factor to count as an mmo is the persistent shared world with actual gameplay. If the sharing doesn't go beyond the lobby, then it isn't an mmo.

  10. #50
    Immortal Maklor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    7,355
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildclaw View Post
    The key factor to count as an mmo is the persistent shared world with actual gameplay. If the sharing doesn't go beyond the lobby, then it isn't an mmo.
    You made up that definition, according to that definition ONLY the original EQ is a real MMO since it has no instancing, I mean WoW has instanced dungeons and Raids... clearly then it's not a MMO.

    /facepalm

  11. #51
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickbuttmario View Post
    Yeah Drunkenbeared seriously convinced me to try it out now.

    Hmm and I agree about the people who hated GW and will most likely hate GW2. Or people who are tired of of the forced conforming/carrot chase type of MMORPGS like RIFT, WOW, Aion, and so forth.
    I disagree. Most people I know don't hate GW1 because of the armor, the "end-game," art-style, etc; which are being carried over to GW2. While I understand what you are saying, most of my friends either dislike GW1 unique mechanics or just hold massive misconceptions.

    1- Instanced world. Many of them don't like it. I understand why. GW2 won't have it.

    2- PvP game. GW is one of the few MMOs where pvp isn't an after-thought to everything. As such, many people think that you level and just pvp. They don't want to pvp, so they "dislike" GW1 without even beginning to understand the massive amount of pve in the game. The same is true of GW2. People don't seem to realize that the pve side has more content. The pvp side was just made correctly.

    3- Grouping. GW1 requires a group for everything. It may be npcs or it may be players. However, you are going to have a group. All solo play means you have to manage a small squad of units; causing it to push towards a strategy game rather than an RPG style game. Some didn't lie this.

    4- Controls. GW1 has unique controls. You can't jump. People didn't like that. Again, not true in GW2.

    5- Crafting. There isn't any; not true of GW2.

    6- Difficulty. I've never had a friend hit this point. If they did, I'd teach them how to overcome it. I suppose many will be dismayed at the difficulty in GW2. GW1 is mean in hard-mode content. It really punishes mistakes. However, you don't feel a need to grind it. You don't even need to do it to try to stay competitive. It will make you a better player. It may turn some off.

    I really don't think it will be a big turn-off. I know Yogscast said some mean things about their dungeon. However, I am willing to bet that if they weren't press, they would have left and gone on their merry way about the world. They love the game. However, they don't like the dungeon. They would still have hours of fun just goofing around without entering those harder areas. They were also getting better. Watch their later stuff. They aren't great; but they are so much better. By the time they did WvW and hit 80, I bet they'd actually enjoy the dungeon because they would actually be good. And because of the loot mechanics, it doesn't matter that they skip it.

    7- No "end-game." I've seen a number of articles on this; most of them were disappointing. Here's my take after talking to friends. Ask them what they actually do in game. What percent of their time is occupied with which activities. Then ask them which activities they enjoy. Ask them what they'd do if they had BiS gear. It's quite interesting. Most people spend time just playing around. How many people continue to run dungeons once the rewards aren't needed? Most don't. As soon as they actually get the best gear (or get close enough to it), they do whatever they enjoy. If they don't enjoy anything, they will only log on for the social aspects of helping guildmates. Otherwise, almost all of them fall into leveling alts, working on achieves (title, cosmetic stuff, etc.), exploring something new, crafting, the AH, and/or pvp. Most people will do the same in GW2. Deep down; the massive majority of people don't like pointless gear grinds. They just do it because they want to make their player be competitive by putting it into the best gear (or close to it). So, they grind and use it to justify the sub cost. GW2 will actually wake people up to that reality.

    I think people will be surprised at how much more enjoyable a game will be when you aren't forced into some repetitive grind that slowly makes you hate the game. Yes, you will log fewer hours because of it. However, you'll love the game. You'll come back when there is new content. You'll log in to help a friend. You'll play for exactly the right amount of time. Most people force themselves to grind in order to justify the monthly sub. When there is no sub, you just do whatever makes it fun. If WoW had this model, I'd log in every patch. I'd buy every x-pac. I would actually still love the game. The same is true of Aion, Rift, and ToR. I'd love to have 4 other MMOs I could just play whenever the mood struck. It'd be awesome.

    GW1 falls into this model; though many don't realize it because they never got past the concerns I posted earlier. You could do exactly as much as you wanted and never feel cheated. I played on and off over the years. However, I've logged a large amount of game time into it. Is it as much as my WoW time? No. However, I can tell you that I've enjoyed GW. I still log on. If there was another x-pac, I'd buy it. I love this game. On the other hand, I'd rather stab myself in the hand than buy MoP. That's the difference between the models. I played exactly the amount that I enjoyed in GW1. There was no rush to justify a sub cost while getting HoM rewards. I simply played however much I wanted.
    Last edited by Dosvidaniya; 2012-03-05 at 12:55 AM.
    "Some flies are too awesome for the wall." - Community

  12. #52
    The Lightbringer Glytch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    SA, TX
    Posts
    3,109
    Quote Originally Posted by Dosvidaniya View Post
    5- Crafting. There isn't any; not true of GW2.
    weapon mods, inscription, runes, and elite armor says "sup"
    The Original Ganksta

    Top 100 US daggers. yeah, you're jelly alright

    Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    then again i'm pretty sure you're smarter then the average dumbass

  13. #53
    also to the people that say its not an MMO(in this post and generally)well AOC STO and TOR are exactly the same with their zones...all instanced and things like that...the diference in GW1 was that you had a personal insatnce instead of a generic one with a cap of 100 players where you could invite other players in.

  14. #54
    Quote Originally Posted by Glytch View Post
    weapon mods, inscription, runes, and elite armor says "sup"
    That's not the traditional sense of crafting and you know it.
    "Some flies are too awesome for the wall." - Community

  15. #55
    Scarab Lord Blznsmri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    San Antonio, Texas
    Posts
    4,057
    Quote Originally Posted by Glytch View Post
    weapon mods, inscription, runes, and elite armor says "sup"
    You don't actually make any of that.
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

  16. #56
    Pandaren Monk Agent Mercury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Eielson AFB, AK
    Posts
    1,806
    Movement so...static.

  17. #57
    It's a tough call trying to classify it because the world is instanced and limits you to party members but the towns are like any mmorpg. You can meet up with other players and interact with them in towns and outposts so it's not different from an mmorpg in that way. In fact, you could say that the towns are like the world in mmorpgs and the world is a series of instances.

  18. #58
    The Lightbringer Glytch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    SA, TX
    Posts
    3,109
    Quote Originally Posted by Blznsmri View Post
    You don't actually make any of that.
    you get to build your weapons the way you want to, sounds like the best crafting system ever devised
    The Original Ganksta

    Top 100 US daggers. yeah, you're jelly alright

    Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    then again i'm pretty sure you're smarter then the average dumbass

  19. #59
    Scarab Lord Blznsmri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    San Antonio, Texas
    Posts
    4,057
    Quote Originally Posted by Glytch View Post
    you get to build your weapons the way you want to, sounds like the best crafting system ever devised
    No, you go to a smith with the materials and choose what you want from a list. Your character isn't making the item, the NPC is.
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

  20. #60
    The Lightbringer Glytch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    SA, TX
    Posts
    3,109
    Quote Originally Posted by Blznsmri View Post
    No, you go to a smith with the materials and choose what you want from a list. Your character isn't making the item, the NPC is.
    but between the sword pommel, the hilt, and an inscription, combined with your shield and its handle and ITS inscription it certainly gives much more depth to building weapons than in most other MMOS

    the only other one that comes close to that kind of customization is swtor before you start running ops
    The Original Ganksta

    Top 100 US daggers. yeah, you're jelly alright

    Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    then again i'm pretty sure you're smarter then the average dumbass

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •