Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildclaw View Post
    If those two things were all it took to count as a mmo, then the genre would explode in size. Of course, games like GW1 and DDO try their best to pretend that they are mmo games, but really, they aren't. They are just your common lobby based multiplayer game, like the older Diablo series. Sure, the lobby is a much fancier 3d variant, but that makes it no less a lobby.

The key factor to count as an mmo is the persistent shared world with actual gameplay. If the sharing doesn't go beyond the lobby, then it isn't an mmo.
    The MMO talk is nice and all, but if you look at games like TOR or WoW ... you wait in a city till you get insta ported to a dungeon, warzone or summoned to a raid ... when you level up or go do something in the persistent world you hardly ever meet another person and if you do meet them it's like stop stealing my gathering nodes/quest monsters !! For me there is almost ZERO difference between how I play WoW/TOR and how I play GW1. So much for the glorified MMO.

What's the worst that can happen to you ...

Quote Originally Posted by Repefe View Post
    The MMO talk is nice and all, but if you look at games like TOR or WoW ... you wait in a city till you get insta ported to a dungeon, warzone or summoned to a raid ... when you level up or go do something in the persistent world you hardly ever meet another person and if you do meet them it's like stop stealing my gathering nodes/quest monsters !! For me there is almost ZERO difference between how I play WoW/TOR and how I play GW1. So much for the glorified MMO.
    this pretty much.

so glad GW2 will actually encourage people to share the killings of things.. no more mob tagging

As long as you can get over that you can't jump in gw1, you'll probably enjoy this game. :P

But as long as I'm on the subject, I'd like to just elaborate more on a few subjects that have already been mentioned.

1. PvP. The game is built around it. Back in the day, every skillchange (up untill a certain point post-nightfall, where they implented pve & pvp versions of the same skills) was based upon the pvp balance. If certain skills were too good in pvp, they usually got nerfed or changed. You even have an option to just skip pve and just make a max level pvp toon and jump right into the action.

2. The skills. Every profession has access to about 150 skill. But everyone has an option to choose secondary profession at will and to no cost (once unlocked), thus unlocking another set of 150 skill. And the fact that you can choose from any of the 10 professions, you'll have plenty of skill to choose from. The limitation of only being able to use 8 at the time, that's including only 1 elite skill, will make sure you spend your time prefecting your skillbar. Luckly there's an option to save your current skillbar & skillpoints, and even to share/copy them from others. You'll quickly find tho, there are a few skillbars that seem to be the meta at any given time. Back when I started gw1 ie: pvp was dominated by IWAY-warriors and bunnythumper rangers. Pve was mostly minionmaster necros and elementalists. Every month skillchanges gave birth to new builds, so things never really got stale.

3. The skillz. With access to a huge skill library at any given time, the selection prosess for both pvp and pve content can be confusing, and possibly decide if you fail or succeed. Every class and skill has a counter. If your up against alot of melee's and rangers, you could opt to choose more skills that blind or mesmer/necro hexes that damage when the enemy when they use a melee attacks or autoattacks. If your facing more casters and especially healers, you'll need more interupts and anti-spellcaster spells like diversion and backfire. And so on. And you'll also have more success if you can dodge, kite and stay out of the fire also, but that goes for most games I reckon.

4. PvE. You can decide how you want to play. Most people these days just solo most things with heroes. But you can if you choose group up with other real players or if you choose solo the content without heroes or henchmen. For most missions though, you'll just hero/hench it. For the later end-game instances like underworld, fissure of woe, or domain of anguish (there are more buy I cba to name all.) you'll want a full group of real people to clear the content as fast as possible. You can of course go with heroes, but you'll take more time and have a harder time at it.
    Last edited by Kanaxai; 2012-03-05 at 02:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Glytch View Post
    GW1 differences from other MMO's

instanced areas

limit to available skills (max 8)

the ability to multi-class

standardized gear

low max level, focused on experiencing the lore and not leveling up

game built with the "no grinding" philosophy (before you people go and shout "BUT WAIT HALL OF MONUMENTS!!!" that's because you're new and you have to catch up to all of us who have been playing for years and just *did* the stuff before the HoM came out)

complex and DEEP combat system (5 different types of bows each with their own specialties, armor hit locations, over 18 different categories of skills, soft counter strategies)

skills

skills

and more skills

build your own weapons/armor (more so after nightfall)

a story-based campaign
    ^this, also best pvp in any mmo by far that I ever played when GW was in it's prime.

Quote Originally Posted by Repefe View Post
    After quitting WoW and playing a few singleplayer RPGs, I can say that I just love to go out in the wilderness on my own, it feels a lot like Fable to me. No freaking farmers on their E-Peen Dragons everywhere, no channel spam... but to each its own.
    Sing like no one ist listening - Love like you've never been hurt
    Dance like no one is watching - Masturbate like no one else is on the bus