Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

EVE Online question

So I've been looking at some trailers and this game looks pretty sick, but my friends told me it sucks. The reason they said it sucked was because unless you're and oldskool player (you've been playing the game for quite some years now) you will never get good at it. They said that you will always get 'owned' by the people who have been player longer than you.

So what's the truth in this story?

The reason people tend to say EVE Online "sucks" is because the learning curve is extremely steep and isn't all that user-friendly if you don't have people or friends to help you get to grips with it. Thankfully, there are loads of Corporations on there that are formed by veteran players to teach new players so if you do give it a go be sure to find one of those and join.

It is true that you can never catch up to players that have been in the game for a long time, and thats, IMO, sad because you cant join a friend in Eve and work your way op to his level of skillpoints.

On the other hand you can, sanctioned by CCP, buy characters from other players (not accounts though).
    HolgerDK Stærkodder Shocknorrís
    "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.

15+ Year Old Account
    All I can say is that if you are not hardcore don't bother with it. Its the kind of game that requires great time investment in order to be successful and yes long time players do have an advantage.
    I've walked the realms of the dead. I have seen the infinite dark. Nothing you say. Or do. Could possibly frighten me.
    We are not monsters! We are not the mindless wretches of a ghoul army! NO! We are a force even more terrifying! We are the chill in a coward's spine! We are the instruments of an unyielding ire! WE ARE THE FORSAKEN!
    Those who do not stand with the Forsaken stand against them. And those who stand against the Forsaken will not stand long.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by HolgerDK View Post
    It is true that you can never catch up to players that have been in the game for a long time, and thats, IMO, sad because you cant join a friend in Eve and work your way op to his level of skillpoints.

On the other hand you can, sanctioned by CCP, buy characters from other players (not accounts though).
    Hmm, that sounds horrible.. I do have a lot of time on my hands but from the looks of what you're saying it seems pretty shit. The game looks awesome and the whole concept is amazing but if you can't ever get high up in the game there's simply no motivation.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Conseca View Post
    Hmm, that sounds horrible.. I do have a lot of time on my hands but from the looks of what you're saying it seems pretty shit. The game looks awesome and the whole concept is amazing but if you can't ever get high up in the game there's simply no motivation.
    If you like how it looks, atleast try the trial. Join Corp of your own country and they will help you.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is insane

Just because they have more skill points does not mean they can beat you at everything

It is not like levels, where a level 85 will always trump a level 20, this game is about team-work and skill focus.
    You may be very refined in Interceptors, and they are industry orientated and so forth.

point ; the skill point gap is not as massive as suggested, and most of the time there is a lot of pilot skill involved ( for what little control there is ). On a sad note however, 1v1's / duels are rare.

You dont need +100m skillpoints(takes years to get) to be able to fly a ship. It will just mean that you wont be able to fly all the ships ... The only thing vets have is they have max skills for multiple types of ships...

You can start doing some pvp after a couple of months(and be able to do your role) . You will however not be able to fly the biggest ships, the most damaging ships . But then again you wont have the isk(gold/money) to buy them anyway.

Deleted
    in the long run skillpoints are largely irrelevant, most important thing you need is to be able to set yourself some goals in the sandbox that is EVE-online. the game isn't going to offer you goals nor is it going to hold your hand past the tutorial.

I heard from my corp that you dont need to have superb skills to be able to pilot a ship that is useful in a war.
    Sure its less powerful than like a Titan but the bigger the ship, the larger enemies it needs to be able to hit them. As far as i know.

Even a small grp of bombers can take out a bigger ship if they do bombing runs. But i dont know much as i only have a battleship and i never done pvp, only watched and heard. :P The pve in the game isnt that bad either tho. Its fun to do missions with corp.

The best ship in the game only costs ~300,000 ISK. It is called the Rifter. I can make ~20 million ISK/hour, or 65 Rifters per hour. That income is very easy to obtain, and most people would call that playing casually. It takes less than 3 days to have the skill points needed for your 300,000 ISK Rifter to aid in destroying my 1,500,000,000 ISK Tengu. Don't believe me? Interview with a day old player.

This game is meant to be played with others. You CAN be useful, provided that you're willing to spend time to conquer the learning curve from hell.

If you're interested in a 21 day trial then send me a PM. If you end up paying for a month then I'll send you the PLEX (a free month / worth ~475-500 million ISK) that they send me for getting you to play.

The major newb friendly corps/alliances will gladly hold your hand and shower you in Rifters or other ships and include you in their operations. That doesn't mean these corps/alliances are bad, though. Most of them own sovereignty over many of the null-sec regions.

USUALLY the people that try this game and absolutely hate it are the ones flying around in high security space failing at the lowest level missions because they didn't completely finish the tutorials and join a corporation with other players. Diving straight into pvp with a group that can pay for your expenses is honestly the best thing you can do after finishing the tutorials.
    Last edited by kumduh; 2012-03-04 at 02:08 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    CCP has a system that allows you to actually buy characters off of other players with ingame money (ISK), they range from starting chars to 100+ million skill chars that take YEARS to get.

So there is no, "I can never be as good as them", you can make a goal for yourself to buy one of these chars or you can train your own char in the way you want them.
    You can train a pvp char by focusing on pvp skills and you don´t even need a high end ship for it, most pvp it fought with very cheap ships that you can afford to lose.
    Most of the 100 mill+ chars have wasted skill points and that 100+ number does not always tell you the real truth of how awesome they are.

The game has probably the biggest learning curve in any game I know of, but after you have learned it, its well worth it.

http://community.eveonline.com/ingam...annelID=734105 <------- Character market place. (100% legal)
    Last edited by Torched; 2012-03-04 at 04:29 PM.
    “A man will contend for a false faith stronger than he will a true one,” he observes. “The truth defends itself, but a falsehood must be defended by its adherents: first to prove it to themselves and secondly, that they may appear right in the estimation of their friends.”
    -The Acts of Pilate.

Deleted
    I will admit the learning curve is nicknamed the "learning cliff" for definate reasons, but there are players who are willing to jump in bulldozers and level that cliff into a smooth pathway. Echoing what people have said above; you can become just as good as vets in time, much like you would in other mmo's - but with Eve you can contribute right from the very start!

There is even a corporation (Eve's name for guilds), dedicated to helping new pilots out aptly named "Eve University" that help and guide people. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElDWLLVB8J8

The thing with Eve is simply: "you can do WHATEVER you want within the game".

15+ Year Old Account
    My input...

I've put in about 8 months total into eve on and off over the past 2 years. While, yes, it does take a long time to acrew all those skill points, it is very VERY rewarding game play imo. You wait and work hard for stuff it really pays off and just feels good.

But like another poster said, you have to be pretty hardcore to get into a game like this. (FYI, hardcore today is about what a normal MMO player was 10years ago.) You will run into, usually very mature gamers. You will always have jerks and piss ants, but regardless, mature gamers that understand and like hard work in their MMO's.
    my SWTOR referal link:
    http://www.swtor.com/r/CVCyHD

The learning curve is not as steep as some would lead you to think. Though it is if you jump headfirst and dont research shit. When i first started back in october i hit up eve wiki constantly, always reading shit when i wasnt doing anything, this allowed me to know wtf i was doing, wtf i wanted to do, and wtf that thing was that i saw. Thats gota be my biggest advice.

Also dont listen to the talking down of Mining, its an amazing way to make isk, and you can watch netflix, play xbox, read a book while doing it, and once you get a hulk and live in nullsec, the isk just pours into your wallet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Your friends are wrong, you can be good at it, but be prepared to make the game your life and spend alot of time catching up.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by kumduh View Post
    If you're interested in a 21 day trial then send me a PM. If you end up paying for a month then I'll send you the PLEX (a free month / worth ~475-500 million ISK) that they send me for getting you to play.
    Whats the catch? When I played this game I remember that people would give you 200k isk etc if you payed for a month. Do you get more than 1 PLEX if you get someone to sign up or are you just being overly nice?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pacer View Post
    Whats the catch? When I played this game I remember that people would give you 200k isk etc if you payed for a month. Do you get more than 1 PLEX if you get someone to sign up or are you just being overly nice?
    They are just being overly nice.

Simple fact is you need friends (that play when you play) to make the game enjoyable and there are many many many people that will try to befriend you just to deceive you.

I go back now and then just to fly around, but without knowing anyone anymore it's difficult to get back into.
    Last edited by reighnman; 2012-03-04 at 07:18 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Also keep in mind while playing EVE, anybody and everybody is a douchebag and will cheat you at any time if it gains them isk.