Deleted

Windows 7 advice

Hey all,
    I've purchased all the components for my new build. I'm just wondering is this will a) work - b) is legal
    If I download a Windows 7 HP 64 bit iso - and then install it [first install] onto my new build, I will have no product key and no genuine software at this point.
    So if I then buy Professional anytime upgrade, [and use it] will that then mean I have an active, genuine, normal working OS on my computer?

Thanks,
    Cen

BTW- if this is illegal, I am only asking for advice out of curiosity, if it isn't illegal, but wont work then I also won't do it.
    If the answer is yes to both questions then ofc I'm going to do it! [just thought I'd cover my back]

URL to iso download : <snip>

URL to Professional upgrade edition: software4students.co.uk/Microsoft_Windows_7_Professional_64_bit_Upgrade_Edition-details.aspx
    Last edited by mmoca894af7d92; 2012-03-04 at 03:59 PM. Reason: I do not understand why my download link has been snipped. It is a torrent download. But it is not illegal.

Deleted
    I believe it to be illegal (or at least in the gray area) to download a software you don't own (even if you intend to buy a license for it later), at least if you get it from a third-party website or source (i.e. a copy). However, you can download it from Microsoft directly (or a certified Microsoft retailer) which would make it perfectly legal (as long as you pay for a proper license). This of course works differently in different countries.

Technically there is a "trial" time for Windows 7 that lets you use it. To extend it, simply open an elevated command prompt and put in "slmgr -rearm" and reset your computer. Should be good for 30days I think.

Deleted
    Just buy it online, they give you the product key and a direct download to the .iso which you can then burn to a CD or put on a USB to install from.

Herald of the Titans Sephiracle's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by 2Loud View Post
    Technically there is a "trial" time for Windows 7 that lets you use it. To extend it, simply open an elevated command prompt and put in "slmgr -rearm" and reset your computer. Should be good for 30days I think.
    I'm pretty sure extending the 'trial' time falls under being illegal.
    LoL: Kr1sys
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

Deleted
    Yea I suppose so, but this way I get professional £60 cheaper. You buy the license key, not the .iso image when u buy the disc. So if I buy the HP which is not activated/genuine, then upgrade to professional I will still have paid and I should have 100% legal software- only I would of got it cheaper.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sephiracle View Post
    I'm pretty sure extending the 'trial' time falls under being illegal.
    Requesting windows itself to postpone the trial expiry period using Microsoft's own supplied commands is illegal?

Herald of the Titans Sephiracle's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkXale View Post
    Requesting windows itself to postpone the trial expiry period using Microsoft's own supplied commands is illegal?
    I would think so. If they only intend you to have a 30 day trial, postponing it indefinitely seems like it would fall under being 'illegal' regardless of the chances of them actually finding that out.

To make a game analogy, this would be similar to doing something in WoW that's an exploit, and claiming that's the way its coded as reasons it should be valid.
    LoL: Kr1sys
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

It is fine, you are granted a total of 120 days through multiple rearms before it expires. Now bypassing that limitation and continuing to rearm is a different story.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sephiracle View Post
    I would think so. If they only intend you to have a 30 day trial, postponing it indefinitely seems like it would fall under being 'illegal' regardless of the chances of them actually finding that out.
    You can't posptone it indefinetly - theres a limit on the amount of rearms you can do.