No Arch Sprinting/Running Shoes

I think Im gonna get some new shoes for track season, which begins tomr (dont need the shoes by then hehe). But Ive been having a problem with going to stores such as Dick's Sporting Goods, and other shoe stores but I keep running into the same problem, the arch. My feet are fully flat, and it is almost impossible to run with shoes with an arch. Every store ive been to now seem to only sell shoes with arches and if they don't, well they are usually expensive or not in my size.

I saw this shoe off Nike.com, fitting what I do best in track, sprinting. If you do have them, could you tell me if they have an arch in them, or if it is really small (I can handle that).
    http://nikerunning.nike.com/nikeos/p/nikeplus/en_US/commerce/men?hf=10002^4294963237&t=Men%27s%20Racing%20Running%20Shoes#/?ll=en_US&ct=US&pid=441684&cid=102201&pgid=462642&p=PDP

Post any other suggestions please

Sorry wrong link hehe
    Last edited by flaggel; 2012-03-04 at 06:20 PM.

From the things that I've read, it isn't really common for people to have been born with flat feet (not saying it can't), but rather their arches are just too weak to normally support their body because of the intended 'arch support' in all the shoes we wear.

That's part of the idea of barefoot shoes: strengthen your feet and calves naturally.

You could definitely check out Vibrams Five Fingers. Merrel also has a barefoot line (but they look like normal shoes, not odd). It's definitely become one of those new fads, though there's a lot of science supporting the idea.

Best of luck.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Radux View Post
    From the things that I've read, it isn't really common for people to have been born with flat feet (not saying it can't), but rather their arches are just too weak to normally support their body because of the intended 'arch support' in all the shoes we wear.

That's part of the idea of barefoot shoes: strengthen your feet and calves naturally.

You could definitely check out Vibrams Five Fingers. Merrel also has a barefoot line (but they look like normal shoes, not odd). It's definitely become one of those new fads, though there's a lot of science supporting the idea.

Best of luck.
    I was gonna suggest those freaky barefoot shoes too. I myself have never been a runner but my younger cousins and their friends are and I remember talking with them after one bought a pair of those barefoot shoes. He got the more rugged terrain ones, but I remember him mentioning different types ranging from track and field to mountain climbing.

Yeah. Like any shoe company, they have different shoes to fit different purposes.

Really, though. If you do get barefoot shoes. Learn to walk in them first. Don't immediately start running. Your calves will hate you for a week.
    When I got my first pair, I was in excellent shape. I wasn't a huge runner (still not), but can still maintain a sub 20 minute 5k.

Even just a 400 meter jog and my legs were done. You'd be shocked at all the different muscles you don't use for balance and movement and whatnot.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Radux View Post
    Yeah. Like any shoe company, they have different shoes to fit different purposes.

Really, though. If you do get barefoot shoes. Learn to walk in them first. Don't immediately start running. Your calves will hate you for a week.
    When I got my first pair, I was in excellent shape. I wasn't a huge runner (still not), but can still maintain a sub 20 minute 5k.

Even just a 400 meter jog and my legs were done. You'd be shocked at all the different muscles you don't use for balance and movement and whatnot.
    That's funny he mentioned the same thing after just using them for walk around footwear. I'd honestly like to have a pair for just walk around and chill out usage, but I wear 14 wides and doubt I could even find a pair.

Quote Originally Posted by Evián View Post
    That's funny he mentioned the same thing after just using them for walk around footwear. I'd honestly like to have a pair for just walk around and chill out usage, but I wear 14 wides and doubt I could even find a pair.
    Who needs expensive shoes just to walk around in?

Get a kit for some homemade leather moccasins: Something like this. It's what I do just to chill around the house or take my dogs for walks (assuming weather permits).

Go to an actual running store. Not Dicks, Sports Authority or Foot Locker. One of the stores where they can measure your foot and arch. Then they have you jog on a treadmill and film you running so they can analyze your stride. They use all that info to help you select a shoe that fits your running style.

Also if you don't want to go to the extreme of Vibrams five fingers there are shoes that bridge the gap such as nike frees. As Radux said take it easy when you start with the bare foot shoes. You can injure yourself if you don't give your body time to adjust to them.

Quote Originally Posted by gismo7354 View Post
    Go to an actual running store. Not Dicks, Sports Authority or Foot Locker. One of the stores where they can measure your foot and arch. Then they have you jog on a treadmill and film you running so they can analyze your stride. They use all that info to help you select a shoe that fits your running style.

Also if you don't want to go to the extreme of Vibrams five fingers there are shoes that bridge the gap such as nike frees. As Radux said take it easy when you start with the bare foot shoes. You can injure yourself if you don't give your body time to adjust to them.
    This, go to a store that does nothing but shoes, specifically for athletics. Also be careful of Vibrams if your feet are that flat. There have been many injuries due to running in barefoot shoes and having flat feet. Even with adjustment, some people just weren't meant to run in them, so talk to someone knowledgeable, preferably a doctor if you can get a cheap visit.

Stores that specialize in shoes can hook you up with the right type, but they aren't perfect either.