Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    There are waypoints in the cities so we don't need to run through them all the time.

This fee depends on the point of origin and a character's distance from the destination; travel within a city is free, while longer distances will incur larger but relatively modest fares.
    From the wiki, http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Waypoint.
    Last edited by Tithonus; 2012-03-04 at 10:12 PM. Reason: Bold

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tithonus View Post
    Thanks for the confirmation.

All this talking about cities make me go insane, I need my Rata Sum fix like right now!

Deleted
    The awaypoints are a good idea, but this doesn't change the fact that, in the majority of games ive seen where cities were huge, most of the houses are empty or closed. I wont mention the game i have in mind atm, but one of the latest mmorpgs has huge cities and you passed by endless rooms without ONE npc! Just empty room, to give that sensation of epicness... which in turns, completely removes any immersion. I do enjoy amazingly big cities, when they have a life of its own and are well structured... i do hope this is the case for GW2 (tho its far from being a game-breaker ).

Quote Originally Posted by Malbabo View Post
    The awaypoints are a good idea, but this doesn't change the fact that, in the majority of games ive seen where cities were huge, most of the houses are empty or closed. I wont mention the game i have in mind atm, but one of the latest mmorpgs has huge cities and you passed by endless rooms without ONE npc! Just empty room, to give that sensation of epicness... which in turns, completely removes any immersion. I do enjoy amazingly big cities, when they have a life of its own and are well structured... i do hope this is the case for GW2 (tho its far from being a game-breaker ).
    Most buildings are open and explorable. There are tons of back alleys and short cuts, hundreds that only the most knowledgeable street rat would know about. There are portals that teleport you to secret areas as well as many levels and floors of the cities. There are churches, residential areas, parks, trading centers, industrial areas, as well as much more
    - Guild Wars 2 Characters -
    Senari of the Woad | Riven Lightsbane | Cain the Mystic

Take a look at MikeB's videos of Divinty's Reach, Hoalbrak and The Black Citadel. Particularly in the Divinity's Reach one, he mentions how organic the city feels, like it's a real city. The NPCs are engaged in multiple activities all the time, creating the effect of a living and breathing center. Also, he mentions that almost every house is open.
    Well worth watching all 3 vids.

I can see why this bothers you,but if you see the videos the cities look quite alive.Which will make things a lot better when you are traveling in them.For me its a good thing because the cities are huge and there will always be players that travel them.I prefer a huge city that will eventually be empty from players BUT have a living feeling to them THAN cities thata re smaller and look stale.Every city in an MMO will eventually be abandoned and have one or two areas that will gather the crowd BUT most of the time those cities feel entirely dead if players arent around,something that from what we have seen doesnt happen in GW2
    ALSO keep in mind that in every city there will be minigames and things that people will want to do beside the occasional player that will park theyr characters in the spots they like,since you wont need a mailbox to do things IF they have auction houses in more that one spot in the city the players will spread out evenly.
    For me the game tries to do this,they want you to hang int he city BUT in the place of your choosing not in the designated hub

Must...have...this...game