Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Opinion on pay to win games?

like this one.

I don't like this business model.

They are a plague.

IMHO if the prices aren't outrageous it's ok.

it's not too different from a game with a sub fee except that it allows you to choose not to pay and continue playing if you don't mind being weaker than the guys paying.

Not my cup of tea. If some enjoy them though, more power to them!

Deleted
    It doesn't bother me that much. I've played Eve Online and Lord of the Rings Online on and off for months. Both of them are pay to win on some level. But its not too bad if you avoid the high end gameplay and play mostly solo. They're still fun games and you get the content for a lot less than something like a montly subscription MMO.

I am glad that there's still games with a level playing field though, like Starcraft 2 and WoW(serverfaction transfer shenanigans excepted).

I don't really get it, as much as anything. How in the world is it fun to not be on a level playing field with other players?

If people feel like spending their money on that, that's their choice. I, for one, will not.

You ask for more? Then come, traveler, to the Whispering Deep, where only the mad walk.
    Raid Idea: The Whispering Deep and Ny'alotha

Quote Originally Posted by Ihnasir View Post
    Umbra - you are a god.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pay to win == I'm not playing.

The fight between the fattest wallets isn't very exciting.

Especially when you are against some kids who spend half
    of their parents income on in game stuff when they get angry.

I prefer games where everyone who buys it starts and point X
    and where they end up is purely up to the stuff they do in game.

ruins the point of the game. even paying for vanity junk bugs me, but I usually live with that and just not buy them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Deleted
    i played brawl busters today.. knew it had items in the shop with stats on but was also unlocking them from the single player levels and crap. Is it just pay to win or do they drop / unlock while u play aswell?

Pay to win is shit.. I dont mind average items in the store though.

Depend on what kind of game it is. If it's MMORPG then I will never play it. If it's something like Diablo3 then I will because it doesn't affect me in anyway if someone buy their items because PvP will have matchmaking anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by juzalol View Post
    Pay to win == I'm not playing.

The fight between the fattest wallets isn't very exciting.

Especially when you are against some kids who spend half
    of their parents income on in game stuff when they get angry.

I prefer games where everyone who buys it starts and point X
    and where they end up is purely up to the stuff they do in game.
    P2P (subscriber games) give and advantage to people with the biggest wallets. Those who can afford to build the biggest rigs, buy the fastest internet connections, and the best peripherals have a huge advantage. My only "upgrade" is a razer naga and I feel like its a huge advantage over people with just a standard mouse.

$$$ always makes winning easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamerlane2 View Post
    It doesn't bother me that much. I've played Eve Online and Lord of the Rings Online on and off for months. Both of them are pay to win on some level. But its not too bad if you avoid the high end gameplay and play mostly solo. They're still fun games and you get the content for a lot less than something like a montly subscription MMO.

I am glad that there's still games with a level playing field though, like Starcraft 2 and WoW(serverfaction transfer shenanigans excepted).
    EVE is pay-to-win? I wonder, what unbeatable winning strategy did their amazing selection of cash shop T-SHIRTS provide you?
    The night is dark and full of terrors...

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    I was addicted to one of these for nearly two years I must say my wallet is much thicker now that i have quit.

Pay to Win games are fine.

What I don't like is when they advertise that you can play for free, when clearly to enjoy/suceed you NEED to buy some items of some sort.

I avoid them but if people want to play battle of the bank balance, that's their choice.

15+ Year Old Account
    Buying power - NOT okay
    Buying exp boosts - Borderland, LOL does this good by making it pretty damn irrelevant in games. But having exp boosts will allow you to faster equip your account to fulfill several roles.
    Buying vanity items - Perfectly fine IF the game is free to play
    DLC - Perfectly fine
    DLC on launch day - I will boycott that shit (read ME3, EA)
    Store spesific bonuses - I will boycott that shit (read BF3, EA)
    Your greed, your foolishness has brought you to this end.

- Prince Malchezaar

Pay to win games aren't entertaining. Period.

I love it when I can master a skill and show others that fight me that I've started from the same square one. The competitive nature of a game hooks me, I love it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Now that's a really fucking stupid question, OP. Of course every sane person despises p2w games. The only type of people who would like them are the ones with no skill, who'd like to pour all their dosh into some unnamed (p2w games are never popular) "game", only to compensate for their offended ego. But their opinion worth nothing, so no point asking them anyway.
    That's why you need me.... Need someone to punish you for your sins.

Pay to win isn't fun. There is a right and a wrong way to do a cash shop, and pay to win games choose to use the wrong way when there are other options available and that isn't cool at all.