Poll: Do you think if everyone owned a gun, the world would be safer?

Page 1 of 47
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

If everyone owned a gun, would the world be safer?

Do you think it's a good idea to own a gun and that it makes our society safer?

Why or why not?

I personally think it would make the world a lot safer. Statistically, areas with the most guns consequentially have the lowest crime rate.

It would certainly make people think twice about breaking into someone's property.

Notice the safest cities in America allow guns.

http://www.areavibes.com/library/10-...-lowest-crime/

Some of you are taking "Everyone" too literally.

Obviously people with felonies or the insane wouldn't be able to have the guns.

I'm talking "EVERYONE" as is in the same laws that pro gun states have.
    Last edited by golds; 2012-03-04 at 09:20 PM.

It's a weird thing, corellating safety to guns.

People tend to feel safer when they own a gun. People tend to feel less safe when other people own guns

At the end of the day, I don't think safety is going to be achieved by everyone having a personal armory. People are going to feel safe when everyone decides not to use them.

Deleted
    sure it would, just for the reason u mentioned, but not every1 should have 1, not every1 can handle them

The issue is that if everyone has a gun, then the one psycho who decides to use his to pick off pedestrians from his apartment will still do that, there will just be a bunch of people with guns running from him instead of people without guns running from him.

Deleted
    The bad guys already have guns anyway...

I remmember reading about a bank robbery few weeks back where 4 armed robbers were ridiculed by like 10 bank customers with guns. This works.

well we would have alot more dead people which makes the world saver because you are then 2 miles more apart from your neighbour with a gun

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think it would make the world a much safer place. People who have weapons, will use them quite faster. Especially if they know everyone else has a lethal weapon on them as well. I think it would escalate rather quickly.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

Definitely not safer. It would be a total disaster.

Some peope would feel safer crime will grow more violent of it does. But they are used to violent crimes in de US and it matches their violent society.

<Infracted> No nation-bashing, please.
    Last edited by Dacien; 2012-03-05 at 05:16 AM.

No. But probably better as most of the human population would be dead. :-/
    My wife came to me and asked: "What have you done to the poor cat? She is half dead..."

BUT the amount of killings, suicides, accidents will increase.

also. giving poor people in china or india is BAD
    there is no good signatures with so little signature space - Nivius

10+ Year Old Account
    Definitely not. Not every person in the world is stable... an example is a pharmacist who was being robbed. The robber came in, pulled out a knife, and demanded that the pharmacist give him painkillers.. the pharmacist then pulled out a shotgun and hit the guy right in the chest, no hesitation at all. But then, the pharmacist walked around, and executed the already downed man with a shot to the head. Even when used in self defense, guns can allow a person to carry things to excess. Whats more, they're final.. if you think someone is breaking into your yard, and you shoot them, it doesn't matter if that person was a robber or if that person was a neighbor who's son threw a ball into your yard. They're gone.

I'm not for strict gun control, but giving a gun to absolutely everyone would cause a rather large group of people to present a danger to themselves and others.

Or you could look at a place where guns are almost completely outlawed to civilians like Japan, and see that they have incredibly low crime rate and deaths from guns are almost nonexistant. The answer is not to arm everyone...

Also if you're saying "everyone" should own a gun, that includes people with severe mental illness, paranoid schizophrenics, sociopaths, and all manner of people who should be nowhere near a lethal weapon. No I don't think that would do much to make the world safer.

Deleted
    Definately not, it would just help to make an even more violent world.

Deleted
    Not even a chance.

10+ Year Old Account
    The number of accidental deaths alone would skyrocket to incredible heights.

I can only imagine how many more alcohol related murders we would have.

Shootings in general would be rampant.

Chaos.
    I like sandwiches

Quote Originally Posted by Brutes View Post
    Some peope would feel safer crime will grow more violent of it does. But they are used to violent crimes in de US and it matches their violent society.
    Contrary to popular belief, the US isn't a violent society. We have the highest crime rate, but most of it is over stuff like immigration and drugs. For comparison's sake, the UK has about 2 thousand violent offenses per 100 thousand people. The US has about 4 hundred per 100 thousand.

Quote Originally Posted by RAWRF View Post
    Simple fact of the matter is that if EVERYONE had a gun then EVERYONE would be worried about being shot if they were being assholes. Right now you have gang bangers walking around most every major city in America with guns. Unless they are doing something immediately bad cops don't even bother with them cause they are worried about being shot. But I will bet you anything that if those same gang bangers knew that the majority of people they walk up to every day had a gun on them they would be much less of a problem than they are now.

Deterrence by force works. Has worked throughout human history as has been historically proven.

Edit: sorry double post.
    The problem is, deterrence works, until it doesn't. That's why all first-world countries are aiming for total nuclear disarmament. Because deterrence is great, but it only needs to not work once before the situation ends up much worse than it not existing at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RAWRF View Post
    Simple fact of the matter is that if EVERYONE had a gun then EVERYONE would be worried about being shot if they were being assholes. Right now you have gang bangers walking around most every major city in America with guns. Unless they are doing something immediately bad cops don't even bother with them cause they are worried about being shot. But I will bet you anything that if those same gang bangers knew that the majority of people they walk up to every day had a gun on them they would be much less of a problem than they are now.

Deterrence by force works. Has worked throughout human history as has been historically proven.
    Not so. Deterrence by armies has been proven to work. In the Cold War with Russia, did we give every single citizen access to a nuke, in case the Russians hit us? Definitely not

And lets set up a gang banger scenario. 5 guys walk up to someone. On a normal day, they would pull out guns, and he gives them his money. If you live in certain parts of the country, you carry 100 or 200 bucks on you just so that if they stop you, you give them the money and they let you go, because at that point attacking you isn't worth getting in trouble with the police. But that person instead draws a gun, because this is the 4th time this has happened this month (again referencing the New York Subway shootings, so historical fact). Then, the 5 armed men shoot him, and the next person to come by they shoot also, because they know that person carries a gun as well

In a sane world yes guns in everyone's hands would make the world safer....but this is an insane world. So realistically arming everyone will only put you back to what the current state is today. No it will not cause crimes to be more violent. All it would mean in the end is everyone has a gun. Would you honestly run into a store to rob someone if you knew for a fact they had a gun? what about breaking into someone's house knowing they in fact have a gun? Crimes will still happen. The violence will not be as apocalyptical as some believe it would be.