Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1

    Youtube and it's stupid censorship...

    ...it's just getting out of control.
    Silencing the whole audio because of one song?
    Restricting access in other countries because of a song being played on the background in a party?
    Taking your videos down, forcing you to see a "happy tree friends" video about a pirate and making you answer questions about that video?

    Aren't we doing them a favor by letting everyone know that this artist's music is awesome, that's why we have chosen it, and that people should buy the track?

    I've never earned a single penny uploading youtube videos, it takes some time to make it, and then upload it, it's just for friends to see them.
    I've seen the option to "audio swap" and change the copyrighted "muted" song by a free one, but choosing one of those sucks hard, and never will be the same as the first song.

    I think the only option we have, is just upload videos of cats, with no music playing on the background at all.

  2. #2
    Epic!
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,607
    Quote Originally Posted by ovamaestro View Post
    ...it's just getting out of control.
    Silencing the whole audio because of one song?
    Restricting access in other countries because of a song being played on the background in a party?
    Taking your videos down, forcing you to see a "happy tree friends" video about a pirate and making you answer questions about that video?

    Aren't we doing them a favor by letting everyone know that this artist's music is awesome, that's why we have chosen it, and that people should buy the track?

    I've never earned a single penny uploading youtube videos, it takes some time to make it, and then upload it, it's just for friends to see them.
    I've seen the option to "audio swap" and change the copyrighted "muted" song by a free one, but choosing one of those sucks hard, and never will be the same as the first song.

    I think the only option we have, is just upload videos of cats, with no music playing on the background at all.
    You might want to read their ToU. If you don't agree to it, then don't agree.
    Last edited by chosenkiwi; 2012-03-04 at 10:21 PM.

  3. #3
    It's not Youtube's decision to remove audio/take down videos because of a song. It's the companies which the song belongs to. And they have the right to.

    And you're exaggeration greatly. Youtube works splendidly and there's millions of videos with content other than cats.

  4. #4
    Legendary! Evil Inside's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Down Under
    Posts
    6,984
    Afaik the only way to "get around" the censorship is to put a disclaimer in the description stating that you dont own the music and it belongs to 'such and such' and that no copyright infringement was intended. I see people do it all the time.

  5. #5
    The music and movie business are getting way out of hand, The amount of greed is to the point that people should just stop paying for their crap. Maybe then they will realise they should be happy they make any money at all. You also have to remember, these are the same people who were backing SOPA.

  6. #6
    High Overlord Aianne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    North England
    Posts
    195
    I think it's funny that I can't watch some videos from my own country sometimes, silly youtube.

  7. #7
    Dreadlord Prancing Minstrel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Hertfordshire, UK
    Posts
    824
    Quote Originally Posted by Aianne View Post
    I think it's funny that I can't watch some videos from my own country sometimes, silly youtube.
    I get that with a lot of Channel 4 stuff, very annoying. >.<

    Still, compared to the censorship they're getting up to with videos criticising religions, this is small stuff.

  8. #8
    Scarab Lord shise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Spaniard in Copenhagen
    Posts
    4,027
    Anyone who things that OP is wrong is just a fool.

    I'm sorry, but even if you that it's your very own opinion, it's just wrong, it's what they put on your head.



    Look, none should ever request you to take down a song but the artist itself, or else, don't come with that shit "if you download you don't help the artists..." Sure i don't, but it won't make any diference if i buy because almost all the money goes to a freaking company.




    People seem to don't understand this:

    It's not about the artists, not about the music, it's all about companies governing you.


    A real artist won't mind having it's music all over the internet, and if he does he can then stop it.. but not a company which only cares about making as much money as they can.

    Music is art, not business.

  9. #9
    Herald of the Titans kailtas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    2,959
    You are in no way obliged to watch or upload videos on Youtube.
    Youtube reserves the right to block content for any and all reasons, just like i have the right to deny people entry to my home based on the color of their shirt.

    The responsibility lies entirely with the consumer. You dont like youtube? dont go there, dont support them.
    Your greed, your foolishness has brought you to this end.

    - Prince Malchezaar

  10. #10
    Old God Arrowstormen's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Copenhagen
    Posts
    10,604
    Quote Originally Posted by shise View Post
    Anyone who things that OP is wrong is just a fool.

    I'm sorry, but even if you that it's your very own opinion, it's just wrong, it's what they put on your head.



    Look, none should ever request you to take down a song but the artist itself, or else, don't come with that shit "if you download you don't help the artists..." Sure i don't, but it won't make any diference if i buy because almost all the money goes to a freaking company.




    People seem to don't understand this:

    It's not about the artists, not about the music, it's all about companies governing you.


    A real artist won't mind having it's music all over the internet, and if he does he can then stop it.. but not a company which only cares about making as much money as they can.

    Music is art, not business.
    That's not YouTube's fault, that's the companies fault, YouTube has to bow down for their copyrights.
    Being critical is a burden which some people loves to bear.

  11. #11
    There is a problem that they take/try take down more than they should. Recently a video where there was just some bird sounds was taken down for copyright claim. It took a while for anyone to accept it was a mistake and probably would have stayed down unless news of this example spreading all over the place. Like I said, just an example. They are trying to cencor stuff that isnt even theirs. Sometimes try to cencor competitors.

    And this all not just on youtube...

    They didn't need stuff like SOPA. It would have just made their way easier.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstorm View Post
    That's not YouTube's fault, that's the companies fault, YouTube has to bow down for their copyrights.
    You are right it really isnt youtube, But just because it isnt youtubes fault directly that doesn't mean that it isnt wrong. The amount of Greed these Entertainment companies have is sickening. They make hundreds of millions of dollars and that still isnt enough, they have to make a big deal over people using songs in a video and they try to pass things like SOPA that would have destroyed the internet all just so they can make a few more dollars. No one should make more than a Doctor just because they have a nice voice and make words rhyme, and the artist doesn't even make as much as the label behind them.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstorm View Post
    That's not YouTube's fault, that's the companies fault, YouTube has to bow down for their copyrights.
    Yepp blaming it on youtube because they don't want to pay millions in royalties is somewhat retarded.

  14. #14
    Dreadlord Cinnamohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Enterprise, AL
    Posts
    817
    I get sick of spending hours upon hours of rendering and uploading videos, only for them to be flagged as copyright, even though i clearly post a link in the description to where the music comes from. Even when i've audioswapped to some random crap from their list, it is muted once again without any notice.

  15. #15
    Titan Adam Jensen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Sarif Industries, Detroit
    Posts
    14,501
    It's not Youtube's fault.

    They have to be compliant with the rules the MPAA/RIAA have forced down everyone's throats in the last few years or they suffer lawsuits.

    If you want to blame anyone, blame the MPAA/RIAA.

    If a video game developer removed tumors from players, they'd whine about nerfing their loss in weight and access to radiation powers. -Cracked.com

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by nyc81991 View Post
    You are right it really isnt youtube, But just because it isnt youtubes fault directly that doesn't mean that it isnt wrong. The amount of Greed these Entertainment companies have is sickening. They make hundreds of millions of dollars and that still isnt enough, they have to make a big deal over people using songs in a video and they try to pass things like SOPA that would have destroyed the internet all just so they can make a few more dollars. No one should make more than a Doctor just because they have a nice voice and make words rhyme, and the artist doesn't even make as much as the label behind them.
    Wow, you seem to have a really strong dislike of both free markets and intellectual property rights.

  17. #17
    Herald of the Titans -Ethos-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Posts
    2,646
    Stupid Australia, always getting the "This video contains content from Vevo, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds" message.
    Last edited by -Ethos-; 2012-03-04 at 11:11 PM.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by shise View Post
    Anyone who things that OP is wrong is just a fool.

    I'm sorry, but even if you that it's your very own opinion, it's just wrong, it's what they put on your head.



    Look, none should ever request you to take down a song but the artist itself, or else, don't come with that shit "if you download you don't help the artists..." Sure i don't, but it won't make any diference if i buy because almost all the money goes to a freaking company.




    People seem to don't understand this:

    It's not about the artists, not about the music, it's all about companies governing you.


    A real artist won't mind having it's music all over the internet, and if he does he can then stop it.. but not a company which only cares about making as much money as they can.

    Music is art, not business.
    If an artist sells his rights to a song to a company, why shouldn't the company be allowed to take it down? If a musician makes a song and keeps it free then cool. Let it spread like wildfire. But if he decides to monetize his work then he has effectively made it a business and it should be treated as such.

    It has nothing to do with a company governing me. I recognize that they have a right to protect their IP as long as it does infringe on me. Taking down a youtube video over a song in it is reasonable. There are plenty of public domain songs that people can use in their videos. Now if its a video of something funny at a party and the song just happens to be in the background, its a bit ridiculous but hardly a travesty if youtube is forced to take it down because of that.
    Last edited by Blizark; 2012-03-04 at 11:15 PM.

  19. #19
    Pandaren Monk Kayhos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Murica.
    Posts
    1,892
    You obviously don't know how Copyright laws work.
    Eh, its only human to automatically blame the service.

    Youtube is forced to do so, or they get in trouble.
    At first in the very start of youtube....they didn't take it all that seriously....but If I remember correctly the censoring of audio and stuff when youtube started taking it seriously was in I think 2007.

    Many, many, many people have been sued for Copyright stuff, youtube is doing the right thing by not taking legal actions into it.
    Anyone remember the incident with Smosh from youtube when they lip synced the Pokemon theme song? Youtube didn't do anything, though the people owned pokemon did and they were sued...now instead of youtube just letting the videos stay there and get sued they either:

    - Remove the video.
    - Change the audio.

    Besides, why complain about a totally FREE service?


    Quote Originally Posted by b0sanac View Post
    Afaik the only way to "get around" the censorship is to put a disclaimer in the description stating that you dont own the music and it belongs to 'such and such' and that no copyright infringement was intended. I see people do it all the time.
    While it helps and definitely makes you less likely to get sued, you still can get sued.
    For example if you have ever followed an abridged series, though guys always in the start of the video give rights to everything. "Such and such belongs to such and such and such, blah blah" and they get in trouble all the time.

    Also look at music for example you can completely give rights and you can still get in trouble, I've seen several, several videos just randomly get taken down and they did give rights.

    Yes it helps to declare ownership and stuff, though it doesn't mean you're untouchable.
    Last edited by Kayhos; 2012-03-04 at 11:20 PM.
    Click the little dwarf to go to my armory. :3


  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Wow, you seem to have a really strong dislike of both free markets and intellectual property rights.
    Not at all, I just have a problem with greedy people who make enough money to feed the world a few times over that cry and complain that someone is using their "property" in a 4min video that in reality helps them. These people aren't just mad because someone is playing their Song they are mad because their pay check says 100,000,000$ instead of 100,000,225$. Thats why they tried to pass SOPA wich would have taken youtube off the internet. Free markets are fine but over the top greed is not. Now If someone is claiming to have made the song when they didn't that makes 100% sense for the company to want to take action.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •