Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Blame incompetent executives at record agencies who don't understand how to look even a few years into the future.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by nyc81991 View Post
    You are right it really isnt youtube, But just because it isnt youtubes fault directly that doesn't mean that it isnt wrong. The amount of Greed these Entertainment companies have is sickening. They make hundreds of millions of dollars and that still isnt enough, they have to make a big deal over people using songs in a video and they try to pass things like SOPA that would have destroyed the internet all just so they can make a few more dollars. No one should make more than a Doctor just because they have a nice voice and make words rhyme, and the artist doesn't even make as much as the label behind them.

And if everyone thought like that we would have communism

Quote Originally Posted by minititan View Post
    And if everyone thought like that we would have communism

Explain to me how that is communism? You think that SOPA is freedom? Because that is what these companies are pushing for. They don't care about you or your freedoms or rights, They just want as much money as they can possibly make from people who fall for their tricks. America is being destroyed by greed and corruption and the people have been conditioned to think that everything is ok. Some people are waking up but a lot are still fast alseep apparently.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by b0sanac View Post
    Afaik the only way to "get around" the censorship is to put a disclaimer in the description stating that you dont own the music and it belongs to 'such and such' and that no copyright infringement was intended. I see people do it all the time.
    Doesn't work, they will still take them down.

Own experience, if you want to avoid such things then put 10-20 seconds of another song in the start from a different studios/publisher.
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

Quote Originally Posted by ovamaestro View Post

I think the only option we have, is just upload videos of cats, with no music playing on the background at all.
    I like cats....
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

These record companies hold the rights to their songs. It's up to them if they want to Youtube to remove their songs from videos. It sucks yeh but nothing we or youtube can do. Only thing i hate is damn message that says video is not available in your region!! Irritating!!

Quote Originally Posted by nyc81991 View Post
    Explain to me how that is communism? You think that SOPA is freedom? Because that is what these companies are pushing for. They don't care about you or your freedoms or rights, They just want as much money as they can possibly make from people who fall for their tricks. America is being destroyed by greed and corruption and the people have been conditioned to think that everything is ok. Some people are waking up but a lot are still fast alseep apparently.

People have the right to earn as much money as they can, if it is legal, u propose ripping them off because they have more money then you, also having a copyright is one of your human rights... Along with the right to live....

How hard is it to put a disclaimer saying it doesn't belong to you?
    And if you absolutely need to just change it.
    First world problems much?
    "I just wanted them to hand us our award! But they were just talk!, talk!, talk!......" - Wrathion

Comunisum is where the government owns everything, no one owns things for them self, u feel that because someone has more money then you that it is somehow yours,

OP here, did a little research on the issue, really pissed off at the beginning but things turn out well in the end.

Well, even for a video of people dancing on a family party, you need a license to play that or those songs in the background of the video, it could be "fair use", but lets just be honest, that's a very grey zone where media groups can "troll" you taking you video down because they own the song, or just normal people can get away with it. It's just not enough.
    Another solution would be actually buying the licenses, i've tried to contact the owners of a few popular songs, but got no luck: sites that leads nowhere, broken links, contact adressings where you should call on commercial hours, forms to fill, all kinds of wrong stuff.
    Then i tried with a song i didn't even know, the license cost was about 165 dollars for putting the song on the background of the video... and i'm not joking here.

So, then the Creative Commons is where the things start to get better, you go to a site like ccmixter.org, listen to a song you like it, download it, add it to your video, as long as you credit the original creator. The songs offered by the "sound swap" feature in youtube made my ears cry, but the songs on this site sounds really well, so i highly recommend it, you might listen it here http://ccmixter.org/api/query?popup=...=rank&limit=10.
    It probably will not be what you have in your mind while doing a video, thinking which song could do well on a "first boss kill" video, but at least your video will remain untouchable so you and your friends in other countries (yes, latin america is a HUGE territory) can see it.

And with that lesson learned, i have to say, i will not support greedy music companies anymore, just the artists that deserve it.

Honestly, they think that piracy is killing the music industry?? i think that greedy "people" (just not saying a swear here) is killing the music.
    Maybe that way we'll have less music that sounds like a damn dial up modem nowadays.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by b0sanac View Post
    Afaik the only way to "get around" the censorship is to put a disclaimer in the description stating that you dont own the music and it belongs to 'such and such' and that no copyright infringement was intended. I see people do it all the time.
    That works for a small group of artists but most likely it never works.

I put disclaimers in description and even make disclaimers in the video at the start, and it still sometimes gets flagged. Bots flag your video, it's not like they have personal searching around and looking weither you put disclaimers on it or not.

People who think disclaimers work clearly never uploaded stuff themselves. The only thing you can do is mirror video to avoid keypoint references from being detected in the video and pitch the music for the same reason.

I was pretty shocked when a gameplay video of Halo 1 got flagged because of the ingame music...
    Last edited by mmoc6f961e454e; 2012-03-05 at 08:54 AM.

It actually isn't YouTube themselves, it's the record companies and such, and their completely ridiculous paranoia.

The next logical step would be cutting off your ears unless you pay some fee, because they can theoretically be used to listen to something that is under copyright.

It went from protecting copyright to trying to own rights of hearing and listening.

Quote Originally Posted by kailtas View Post
    You are in no way obliged to watch or upload videos on Youtube.
    Youtube reserves the right to block content for any and all reasons, just like i have the right to deny people entry to my home based on the color of their shirt.

The responsibility lies entirely with the consumer. You dont like youtube? dont go there, dont support them.
    wow, it's been a long time since i saw such a know-it-all moral superior post. what you don't get is that it's big corporations taking away what once was called "freedom". many (if not most) bands would'nt mind hearing their songs all over the net. in fact, it's good for them when people like their music and listen to it often.

many artists today leave the big money-grabbing corporations and start their own merchandise/marketing. they use facebook/twitter and youtube and the likes, and some of them even let you listen to their songs for free - or you can pay as much as you see fit for their material. that will be the future.

10+ Year Old Account
    As people have pointed out, it's not Youtubes fault. They probably don't want more than everyone uploading as much as possible (more content = more viewers = more add-based revenue), but they can't afford the law-suits.

The problem lies with the people who own the music (e.g. record companies) who don't realize how fair use works, and how increasing familiarity with their music could result in higher sales.
    Resurrected Holy Priest