High Overlord

Dollar dollar bill y'all -GW2 Economy Discussion

*See mass info sticky for crafting and economy overview, roughly halfway down the first page. Props to Omlech!*

I would like to start a discussion on the global economy system in GW2. One of my favourite parts of mmo’s have always been amassing large amounts of coin. I personally plan on rolling a human thief as my main character, who I will RP as a treasure hoarding pirate.

A few questions of my own to get us started:

If the majority of crafting disciplines revolve around aesthetics rather than upgrades, will people still invest in these items?

How do you think the gathering system will affect the economy in gw2? In particular, how will the instanced nodes affect farming?

Do you think gold sellers will be a problem?

Are there going to be major gold sinks, or will micro transactions replace the need for these?

Much of the economy in WoW for example, is based around raiding (consumables, glyphs,gems,enchants). Where do you see this new gen revolutionary mmo heading in terms of economy?

Quote Originally Posted by Raphyjj View Post
    I personally plan on rolling a human thief as my main character, who I will RP as a treasure hoarding pirate.
    My Asura shall call him a bookahneer

The biggest factor in the GW2 economy will be the cross server market place (auction house), which will make markets a LOT harder to control.

Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    My Asura shall call him a bookahneer
    What you did there.

I see it.

Well to answer most of the questions you had you can look to GW1 to get a guess of how things will work out. Like GW2 most of its items were cosmetic. Rare items were still in high demand and people would pay quite a bit for them. Over time the value of gold itself droped off to nearly worthless but a secondary money system involveing rare but stackable items emerged to counter the fact that each character could only hold so much coin at a time. Some items like ectos could be used for crafting but spent so long as a curency that its value slowely declined. Zkeys and armbraces were also comon commodities that one colected and traded in lue of strait coin so the lack of major money sinks was never all that much of an issue.

People will invest in crafts if for no other reason than some folks will want the skins. If nobody does the crafts demand will go up due to lack of suply and someone will fill the nitch market. As a secondary effect there will be some demand for raw resorces to feed those crafters. Instanced nodes will make farming less frustrateing as you dont have to compeat with bots, I'm unsure if it will tank the market for resorces though.

Who is John Galt?

In any game, the most valued things are vanity items. For every player, the thing that shows success, is what people will pay for. Its either pets, fashion cloth, mounts, whatever, independent of what game you are playing, it will always be what makes the most cash.

The only downside i see, is the fact that everyone can have any profession. That is the case in other games as well, but people are just lazy to lvl a new toon and get the profession up... but GW2 makes it a bit easier. I guess we will have to wait and see how it goes, but i believe we will have a regular market.

Quote Originally Posted by Malbabo View Post
    The only downside i see, is the fact that everyone can have any profession. That is the case in other games as well, but people are just lazy to lvl a new toon and get the profession up... but GW2 makes it a bit easier. I guess we will have to wait and see how it goes, but i believe we will have a regular market.
    Not being a dick, honestly confused. Are you talking about professions or crafting disciplines here?
    Professions = classes in GW2, as oppose to crafting disciplines in other games.

Quote Originally Posted by Delias View Post
    Not being a dick, honestly confused. Are you talking about professions or crafting disciplines here?
    Professions = classes in GW2, as oppose to crafting disciplines in other games.
    Hehe guess i didn't explain myself correctly. I was talking about "crafting disciplines" when i mentioned "profession". What i wanted to say is: the fact that everyone can lvl up and switch crafting discipline, using just one character, will make it a bit harder to sell crafted items. Having to pay a fee, to switch crafting disciplines, might create a market for those cheaper items, but might reduce the market for more expensive items (such as weapons, armors, etc).

However, there will always be people that prefer to just pay for the item, instead of gathering the materials to craft it. And those that don't want to lvl up a crafting profession just to create their own items. Its hard to predict how the market will evolve, but i believe the 2 factors that have been mentioned (cross server markets -- one character can have all crafting disciplines) might have a big impact, towards a fair economy.

Field Marshal
    Like someone has already stated because in GW1 you could only have 100k per char people started trading with ectos (stackable materials) which are worth around 9k.. And with GW1 most of the stuff sold/bought was for cosmetic as you could buy a bog standard scythe for example and it can be perfect stats, you pay for the skin of something pretty much. So YES these things will be in high demand. as for gold sellers they were not really that much of a problem in GW1. Anet were swift to ban botters/sellers so you don't see them advertising much really. And they implemented an instant ban for trading 100k gold. Can be worked around but still, They aren't really a problem and I highly doubt they will be in GW2
    Last edited by Kelzúl; 2012-03-05 at 02:32 PM.

I just hope they give us a manageable UI to navigate through the insane amount of auctions there will be. This was a huge turn off for me in SWTOR.

Also with the cross realm market, a post limit will be necessary.

As long as it doesn't get as over inflated as the original I'm not too bothered. Small gold sinks are fine as well to be honest and with it there being a steady cash flow from dynamic events and dungeons etc.
    Currently Playing
    [ - Guild Wars 2 - ] [ - Borderlands 2 - ]
    [ - Human Mesmer - ] [ - Sylvari Thief - ] [ - Charr Elementalist - ]

Quote Originally Posted by Malbabo View Post
    Hehe guess i didn't explain myself correctly. I was talking about "crafting disciplines" when i mentioned "profession". What i wanted to say is: the fact that everyone can lvl up and switch crafting discipline, using just one character, will make it a bit harder to sell crafted items. Having to pay a fee, to switch crafting disciplines, might create a market for those cheaper items, but might reduce the market for more expensive items (such as weapons, armors, etc).

However, there will always be people that prefer to just pay for the item, instead of gathering the materials to craft it. And those that don't want to lvl up a crafting profession just to create their own items. Its hard to predict how the market will evolve, but i believe the 2 factors that have been mentioned (cross server markets -- one character can have all crafting disciplines) might have a big impact, towards a fair economy.
    I know I personally plan to level up every profession possible with my main toon, if not my alts. I'm big on being as self-reliant as possible.

But that does mean, while everybody can gather anything, people will still be very willing to buy the crafting materials from the auction house. Once my professions are maxed out and I have a steady supply/income of gold, I'll spend a lot of time purchasing the crafting materials that other people are willing to farm.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Over inflation of gold occurs when the total generation of gold (from players killing mobs, dynamic events) is significantly larger than the total amount of gold removed from the economy (gold sinks). With all the uproar over the hatred of the "grind" that gold sinks produce, it'll be interesting to see if gold has any appreciable value, which is of course only possible when acquiring and keeping it requires some effort.

I don't know if being able to have all crafting disciplines will have that much effect. Provided some effort is required to max out each discipline, what incentive is there for most people to max out any of them? I think the fact that anyone can gather any material will have a much larger effect. Only those who like crafting will necessarily level their crafting skill, and those who don't can easily gather their own materials and simply bring them to a crafter. The Buy Order system and cross-server marketplace greatly reduces the need for even a large number of people to have their crafting leveled.

All in all, I hope the developers won't bow down entirely to the "absolutely no grinds" mantra when it comes to the economy, as it'll make everything but the rarest random drops worthless.