Thread: HD 78xx Reviews

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by MaskEd View Post
    HD 7870 is 100+€ cheaper than HD 7950 in my country, so i really dont see a problem with it. With the fact being that even the slightest oc on 7870 and it will be faster than HD 7950.
    It's priced correctly according to it's performance, but this is a middle range card. The typical price for these cards should be between $150 and $200. We will get to that price eventually, but only if Nvidia doesn't screw up with the next gen GPUs.
    Last edited by haxartus; 2012-03-06 at 07:02 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    I will continue to wait for NVidia's next generation, I feel they might have something special up their sleeves - we'll see.
    Same here, but I'm already amazed to see how well the 28nm tech performs

Quote Originally Posted by kidsafe View Post
    This is what we know:

* AMD's Southern Islands / GCN parts have all been announced. The 7800 series will be shipping in volume in 2 weeks.
    * Nvidia is burning the candle at both ends trying to put the finishing touches on GK104.
    * AMD's pricing reflects the lack of competition from Nvidia. Unless you really love Nvidia, there's no reason to buy a GTX 580/570 over an HD 7970/7950/7870. The HD 7850 is a tougher sell over a GTX 560 Ti.
    * Anandtech thinks it's likely that GTX 560 Ti inventory will dry up in the next few weeks.
    * Price drops of $50 on most of the new AMD cards should be expected once GK104 hits retail.

---------- Post added 2012-03-05 at 09:23 AM ----------

I see the HD 7870 being roughly equal to a GTX 570 or HD 6970 at default clocks, though it does beat the GTX 580 in a some of Anandtech's tests. It also overclocks to ~1200MHz, which should amount to ~20% more performance overall... Best of all it isn't hamstrung by the GTX 570's 1.28GB frame buffer.
    DO not foget that 6950 can be unlocked and can overclock has high (even sometime higher) than most 6970, for 40-60 dollar less.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by McFrotton View Post
    DO not foget that 6950 can be unlocked and can overclock has high (even sometime higher) than most 6970, for 40-60 dollar less.
    I cannot believe how many people are still under the illusion that this could not have been/nor was not fixed....

This was fixed and it's pretty rare to find 6950s you can do this with anymore.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    A great read, but i'm still set on waiting for Kepler series, AMD has always been the lesser developer (Both GPU and CPU) - At least in MY eyes.
    Quote Originally Posted by judgementofantonidas View Post
    Blizzard offered cardboard cut outs with poster pictures of bosses stapled on them upside down and sideways and many players now feel that is raiding.
    Raxxykins

Quote Originally Posted by noteworthynerd View Post
    CPU is my guess, I highly doubt it is capping my two GPUs... I'm also playing at 1920x1080, and I see significant FPS drop whenever anything slightly intensive happens, Ilum is unplayable at Ultra.
    Overclock that 950 to 4Ghz :P and try with a single GPU!
    Last edited by DarkBlade6; 2012-03-07 at 07:34 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Underwhelmed by 7770's performance increase I took this as a pleasant surprise that the 7870 could perform like a 6950. Prices being wrong at launch is nothing new.

Though I'd like to see how much power a 7850 draws once it's on its proper PCB (since reviewers samples of 7850 had it on a 7870 PCB), I'll be considering one for my HTPC/FTP-server/gaming-console-at-night build, definitly.
    Last edited by Wries; 2012-03-07 at 11:52 AM. Reason: typooooooooooooo

Quote Originally Posted by mnm View Post
    Overclock that 950 to 4Ghz :P and try with a single GPU!
    I've spent hours trying to overclock on all sorts of different settings and I can't get it to work, the computer either refuses to boot altogether or freezes before Windows even starts to load. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong (if I'm doing something wrong), but I've tried several guides both for my MoBo and for my CPU, and nothing works for me.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wries View Post
    Underwhelmed by 7770's performance increase I took this as a pleasant surprise that the 7870 could perform like a 6970. Prices being wrong at launch is nothing new.
    Fixed that for you.

I wasn't so much surprised by the 7770. I was expecting AMD to keep it a low-performance card catered towards budget builders. It fits in nicely in a $400-550 build and as I'm hoping the new Trinity APU will cower the budgets below $450 I think AMD has a strong overall line-up so far. I am critical towards the 7970 though and how close it actually is to the 7950. I'm hoping the 7990 will offer around 1.8-2 times the performance of a single 7970, but I strongly doubt that. Time will tell if nVidia will deliver the strongest single-GPU card this generation as well, but my guess is that they will. As it looks now though, AMD will be hard to beat in the mid-section where both the 7870 and 7950 reign supreme.

Did they ever revisit the HD 7970 post-driver release? 'Cause I'm guessing AMD got around to maturing the drivers quite a bit before releasing the rest of their lineup.