Question Job interview situation...what should I do here?

Hey all, I don't typically post such personal (career) stuff like this so bear with me here. I literally just woke up in the middle of the night from having a horrible dream about this job applied for where basically I was having a 2nd interview at my parents house (for some strange reason) and in short, it all just went to hell...

Anyways...What's going on is I had an interview last week for a guest service type job at a sports/entertainment place. I showed up 5-10 minutes early and dressed as though I was applying for the position above me, I even wore a tie and my absolute best dress shoes (and was extra careful to not get any snow on them). I feel as though the interview went quite well and it basically ended with the manager telling me he would like to talk to his general manager adding that "sometimes the GM likes to talk to people, sometimes he doesn't" and he also told me that "you can expect to hear from me by the weekend as far as what the next step is".

Now, I'm not the over confident type, but doesn't this sound like he is going to offer me a job? He is a night manager so I felt as though I would have gotten a call from him by tonight but, no dice. What should I do? Is calling and leaving a voicemail for him a bad move? I do want to pickup this job and do have plans to do great things there (my current job absolutely doesn't suit me anymore and aside from that, after 6 years of working really bizarrely scheduled 12 hour shifts, I need a change) so in short, I just don't want to let this opportunity pass me by.

I know this is a videogame forum and all, but the community here has come up big with some good advice for me when I needed it in the past. Thanks for that and I'll try to get back to sleep now (hopefully!).

From my experience it's never a bad thing to make a phone call to inquire about an answer when it comes to job search, as long as you don't do it before the time by which you were promised a reply. If anything, it shows you really want the job and have a keen interest in it. At the same time it can help you clarify your position so that if you haven't gotten the job, you can get going with further application ASAP. Now this may be a cultural thing and may not apply to countries outside of Scandinavia, so bear this in mind.

If you don't hear back by the time they said they'd contact you, contact them.

Call them. The "we will call you" period has expired. You will be amazed at how many things may cost you a job. A paper that slipped of the folder, a PC breaking down, manager gets forgetful and MANY MANY MANY other things. CALL them.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    If you don't hear back by the time they said they'd contact you, contact them.
    This pretty much.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Hopefully you sent a thank you note, written or email within 24hrs of interview. It may seem dorky but I dont even call back those that dont take the few seconds to show that they want the job. If you didnt do this you'll still be alright if you contact him/her by phone or email stating you wanted to touch base because the interview had you excited to hopefully join the company and begin working with them. Again i know this sounds dorky and i'm sure plenty here will contradict this advice but i've hired several hundred people myself and these are things that will make you stand out to those hiring at real companies.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vantheus View Post
    Hopefully you sent a thank you note, written or email within 24hrs of interview. It may seem dorky but I dont even call back those that dont take the few seconds to show that they want the job. If you didnt do this you'll still be alright if you contact him/her by phone or email stating you wanted to touch base because the interview had you excited to hopefully join the company and begin working with them. Again i know this sounds dorky and i'm sure plenty here will contradict this advice but i've hired several hundred people myself and these are things that will make you stand out to those hiring at real companies.
    It may depend on the industry but I've always found that those that contact me with a thanks note/e-mail etc after the interview are usually the ones more desperate and lacking something, be it experience or attitude. A good firm handshake and a "Thank you for giving me the oppertunity to come in and interview for the job" when the interview has ended is enough for me.

However, yes - if they don't contact you by the date they arranged, contact them. It works both ways - there is nothing more rude than a company not contacting you to let you know and leaving you hanging.

Alright, thanks so much for the responses so far. I plan on calling them in about 4 hours (mid-day) and will likely be leaving a message on his voicemail. I was thinking about saying something like this....

Hi __(manager)__
    This is __(my name)__ calling and I wanted to thank you for giving me the opportunity to come in and talk with you last week. I was wondering if you had a chance to talk to __(general manager)__ and if you have an update for me as far as what our next step will be. You can reach me at _(phone #)_, I'm working today until 6:15, but please give me a call back at your earliest convenience. Thanks and I hope you had a great weekend, talk to you soon.

...thoughts? Again, thanks a ton, a new job means the world right now as I really can't stand where I'm at anymore...

Deleted
    Yeah if he had promised to contact you weekend past, it's worth giving him a call.

You're right to call them. It's the simple matter of following up that shows your continuing interest in the job. Sometimes jobs won't consider you UNLESS you follow up with them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Poundmax View Post
    Alright, thanks so much for the responses so far. I plan on calling them in about 4 hours (mid-day) and will likely be leaving a message on his voicemail. I was thinking about saying something like this....

Hi __(manager)__
    This is __(my name)__ calling and I wanted to thank you for giving me the opportunity to come in and talk with you last week. I was wondering if you had a chance to talk to __(general manager)__ and if you have an update for me as far as what our next step will be. You can reach me at _(phone #)_, I'm working today until 6:15, but please give me a call back at your earliest convenience. Thanks and I hope you had a great weekend, talk to you soon.

...thoughts? Again, thanks a ton, a new job means the world right now as I really can't stand where I'm at anymore...
    You can make the follow up simpler by pretty much following this brief rubric (you're on the right track):

1) I am calling you.
    2) I am calling to follow up on the interview on X date with Y person.
    3) Contact info + when available.
    4) Thank for interview/opportunity.

Keeping it short is the right idea, so you're on track. But DO NOT FORGET #3 in your excitement. I have seen a number of people follow up, or even send in initial info, and leave NO CONTACT INFORMATION or give the INCORRECT info. Don't let the excitement of the job chase fool you. Write it down beforehand if need be.

You can make one unreturned call without looking like a nuisance.