View Poll Results: Is it socially acceptable to be fat?

Voters
502. This poll is closed
  • Yes

113 22.51%
  • No

200 39.84%
  • Yes, but...

124 24.70%
  • No, but...

65 12.95%
Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    Most people who are overweight do not "gorge" themselves on food.

Many people are overweight because they just aren't active enough. People in office jobs are especially prone to this.

Many more are overweight eating less than their friends, but the foods are lower quality.

Antidepressants and steroids can also cause weight gain.

Also there's the small fact that for many people (myself included) it's easier to quit smoking than to lose weight. It requires much more willpower every day for a year or more while quitting smoking really only takes 2-4 weeks (For me even less). Your body hates losing weight. The success rate for dieters is damn near 0 fucking percent.
    Tom Venuto says he dislikes the term "diet" because it implies a short term solution and that the ideal is to change the life style, not just look to lose X kilograms before Summer and then go back to gorge.

Quote Originally Posted by crica View Post
    you not believing the science that proved it to be true doesn't make it untrue /shrug

---------- Post added 2012-03-05 at 07:56 AM ----------

i already stated how in the rest of my post that you did not quote and the other posts of mine that state the fact that healthy foods (fresh fruits and veggies and whole grains and pure water) is more expensive then prepared processed unhealthy foods
    Sad, every drop of ink in the ever changing and rewritten book of science is the word of god for you and they need no objective analyzing. Tell me, where is it written that ONLY fresh vegetables, fresh fruits and pure water are healthy and they are the be all end all diet that everyone should follow blindly?

EDIT. vegetables are more expensive then meat and prepared junk food? gidings me?

Quote Originally Posted by Sendai View Post
    How can eggs, meat (pork, chicken), brown rice and milk be more expensive than snacks, soda or a burger in McDonald's?
    Indeed, it's bullshit. When I buy three burgers at mcdonalds it costs me maybe more than 10 euro's. Candy in the supermarket costs around 2 euro's (potatochips for example). Instead of potatochips I can buy two breads which will be my lunch for two weeks.

What are you buying if unhealthy food is more expensive?

Here. At my supermarket:
    - 1 leek € 0,29
    - 2 paprika € 0,99
    - 300 g of chicken € 3,00
    - 400 g of rice € 0,79

That's two meals for one person. One meal costs € 2,54. Expensive my ass. You can even do without the chicken (that makes it € 1,04) or you could buy some cheap ass pizza for € 1,08 (only 300 g) which is unhealthy and probably not that good anyway. Pizza's I buy are always over € 2,00.

But keep making excuses. You can even eat the unhealthy food as long as you eat less of it, that also makes it cheaper.
    Last edited by Gilian; 2012-03-05 at 02:26 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyoa View Post
    SNIPE
    Meh don't encourage him, he has no clue what he's talking about.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's the people who get really fat confuse me, how can you be happy like that and try to not change?

A lot of the time it's the parents who are to blame.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyratops View Post
    People are aware becoming obese (and losing that weight) doesn't happen over night?
    But I saw on TV you can lose it all overnight, so it's ok if I get a little more fat, I'll lose it easily !

Quote Originally Posted by darksun View Post
    I would never hire a person who is overweight, because if he cannot take care of himself, how can he do the job correct. More on this subject i have fat ppl and i don't want to be near one. Waiting for natural selection....
    You are assuming that everyone is considering his own weight important and something to be kept under control.
    A fat guy is completely capable to do a good job for you because it is a task he has been given, nobody has been given the task to not become fat (unless you're into sports/fashion).
    Quote Originally Posted by Kavoo View Post
    Well I do have a penis attached to me as well but I dont know 'a lot' about it, I dont even know how it tastes. Maybe you do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycoris View Post
    Everyone who does not miss Vanilla has no heart. Whoever wishes it back has no brain.

Fat people have ALWAYS been around and it actually used to be attractive in times where food was scarce. Having fat meant you were wealthy and could afford more than enough food. Kings and other powerful people usually were fat. However nowadays affording food has become easier (in most 1st and 2cnd world countries) and there aren't nearly as many people struggling for food which is why it's not attractive anymore.

Just look at some old paintings of royalties you'll notice they're chubby or fat.

Anyways, I think unhealthy food should be taxed because believe it or not there are chubby people that are actually pretty healthy and skinny or fit people who have high colesterol or blood pressure, sometimes it's just your body type. However no matter how fit you are, eating tons of trans fat and other unhealthy things will increase your chance of ending up in a hospital and leeching off the tax payers money. Just paying an extra 20 cents every time you eat fries should help avoid this.

Portio size. My dad is overweight he thinks he's doing the right thing by eating a huge ass sandwich to hold him off for 10 hrs. The problem is after a while your body will do everything it can to absorb all of it. I told him to start eat a light meal 200-250 calories every 2 or so hours.Cand voila he lost weight.

I think what many people here are trying to get at .. Is that it's not like "We need to know they have a medical condition" to be deemed 'Fine and productive Fat People' ... It's just that when you see someone on the street .. Everyone is open to judge ... I'm sure those people with medical Conditions that cause them to be fat STILL probably look Some people and whinge about Something, be it; Hair, Eyes, Skinny, Skin Colour, sexuality, way they talk if they hear them speak ECT. NO ONE is PURE ... EVERYONE judges for some reason or another.

Should I be upset that some fat guy walked past and secretly said to himself, "Holy fuck look at that ranga what a twat" ... Oh but I can't help my condition so he's just a COMPLETE WANKER AND A FUCKING DOUCHEBAG FOR THINKING SUCH THINGS.

I understand Hair Colour is different from a Medical Condition ... But seriously, people judge, it's HUMAN NATURE.

I feel sorry for those with previously discusses Medical Conditions, but they are the extreme Minority ... Simply Lazy Fat people are probably the 999/1000 ... I feel sorry for the judgement that's passed on that 1 with a Condition, but it can't really be helped, they're lumped into a category with alot of Stupid people, it's always open to judgement :S

Deleted
    What I hate is that it costs me money to pay for their health problems.

I think they're egoistical jerks.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm convinced that the people arguing in the defense of fat people are those that are fat themselves. All of the arguments are the same.

Oh and as to the person that compared calling fat people to calling homosexuals 'queers', You liberals really do like to clump your PC agenda all into one big ball.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by alemaite View Post
    SNIP
    Yeah and the good looking skinny and tan people were considered poor, i guess they preferred whale on whale action back then. DAMN they must of been hell of depressed since they stayed out of the sun and didn't get the vitamin that helps with your happiness.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Astounded View Post
    I'm convinced that the people arguing in the defense of fat people are those that are fat themselves. All of the arguments are the same.

Oh and as to the person that compared calling fat people to calling homosexuals 'queers', You liberals really do like to clump your PC agenda all into one big ball.
    Just...wow!

Quote Originally Posted by Daverid View Post
    I think what many people here are trying to get at .. Is that it's not like "We need to know they have a medical condition" to be deemed 'Fine and productive Fat People' ... It's just that when you see someone on the street .. Everyone is open to judge ... I'm sure those people with medical Conditions that cause them to be fat STILL probably look Some people and whinge about Something, be it; Hair, Eyes, Skinny, Skin Colour, sexuality, way they talk if they hear them speak ECT. NO ONE is PURE ... EVERYONE judges for some reason or another.

Should I be upset that some fat guy walked past and secretly said to himself, "Holy fuck look at that ranga what a twat" ... Oh but I can't help my condition so he's just a COMPLETE WANKER AND A FUCKING DOUCHEBAG FOR THINKING SUCH THINGS.

I understand Hair Colour is different from a Medical Condition ... But seriously, people judge, it's HUMAN NATURE.

I feel sorry for those with previously discusses Medical Conditions, but they are the extreme Minority ... Simply Lazy Fat people are probably the 999/1000 ... I feel sorry for the judgement that's passed on that 1 with a Condition, but it can't really be helped, they're lumped into a category with alot of Stupid people, it's always open to judgement :S
    Well point being, even if you have some medical condition it won't probably affect your ability to lose weight by reducing the amount you eat. It's really only the ones with some extremely hazardous condition where the body stores nutrients and is unable to use them even when facing death from starvation, like the one who posted here earlier. My ass statistics say that it's like every 1 of 100000 fat people who have condition like that.

And, well most of the things you listed are actually decided by genes even though you can recolor your hair (and eyes?) but fatness is completely ones own fault, ignoring the underwhelming minority.

Also for those saying that fast food is more expensive than healthy food, this might be true in Europe and in other places but not in the U.S . I've lived in both places and in the U.S it's ridiculous how cheap fast food is, I actually would save money by not doing groceries and just buying junkfood. Here in Europe it's a whole other story junk food is extremly epensive and I think I've been to Mc'Donalds maybe once because there are restaurants that are just a bit more expensive (no kidding!). In the U.S I used to get lunch every day at Mcdonalds I'd get myself a salad and a side of roasted chicken. It cost me like 2$.

I did put on some weight in the U.S because it's just so much more convenient to get a burrito and cheaper than shopping for groceries most of the time so I totally understand why america has a weight problem. It is not the people's fault at all I'm pretty sure if junk food was that cheap here in Europe people would become fat too, everyone just likes to tell themselves they're different and that it's the other peoples fault.

It's not discrimination
    It's the truth
    Discrimination/Racism is when you call somebody something yet you DON'T know him or his capabilities and are talking in general..
    However,in this certain thing,you KNOW if the person is ugly/disgusting when he's fat or not through your EYES.

You wouldn't call a fat woman beautiful. Well hell no,that's not discrimination,IT'S THE FCKING TRUTH.

Stop trying to excuse everything through different scientific words..If you're fat you're disgusting,nobody wants to look at your fatass nor your "plaf plaf" sounding movements ._.

but we're talking in terms of looks right?
    Personality is a whole different thing ^_^
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkVJCTpkHp4

Άλλο ένα Σάββατο Βράδυ

Herald of the Titans Snow White's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Naevan View Post
    You wouldn't call a fat woman beautiful. Well hell no,that's not discrimination,IT'S THE FCKING TRUTH.
    Really? I've seen some very beautiful fat women.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Naevan View Post
    It's not discrimination
    It's the truth
    Discrimination/Racism is when you call somebody something yet you DON'T know him or his capabilities and are talking in general..
    However,in this certain thing,you KNOW if the person is ugly/disgusting when he's fat or not through your EYES.

Stop trying to excuse everything through different scientific words..If you're fat you're disgusting,nobody wants to look at your fatass nor your "plaf plaf" sounding movements ._.

but we're talking in terms of looks right?
    Personality is a whole different thing ^_^
    HERE HERE!

But.. isn't fat people personality?
    = NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM

Deleted
    No it is called telling the truth, most of them choosed it themself. I once heard a very woman on the street telling her husband to stop smoking or he would die, fail in logic is that she is a 100 times more unhealthy than he is.