View Poll Results: Is it socially acceptable to be fat?

Voters
502. This poll is closed
  • Yes

113 22.51%
  • No

200 39.84%
  • Yes, but...

124 24.70%
  • No, but...

65 12.95%
Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    I don't see why people bully others if they are slightly 'bigger' ..not everyone can help getting big, sometimes it can be due to medication or due to lack of exercise down to the fact they may have damaged/broken a bone. Yes some people get big due to the fact they are lazy and have lazy eating habits and so on.

Deleted
    I don't find it discriminating..

I don't really mind people who are fat aslong as they don't go around under the impression they're the sexbomb and thinks one should like/find them attractive them because of their looks, it has happened on a few ocassions to me..

After reading bits of this discussion, I'm really truly disgusted at all of the hatred and anger some people have at people who have said or done nothing to them. Who cares what someone does with their body or why? It really doesn't affect you. It's not like you have to carry them around.

If you're spewing hatred at people (even hypothetical fat people), maybe you should re-evaluate yourself and figure out what's wrong with you.

Herald of the Titans Snow White's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiili View Post
    I don't find it discriminating..

I don't really mind people who are fat aslong as they don't go around under the impression they're the sexbomb and thinks one should like/find them attractive them because of their looks, it has happened on a few ocassions to me..
    So fat people aren't allowed to have self confidence? Really?

Quote Originally Posted by manbeartruck View Post
    The real problem here is that you're assuming that people are 'just letting themselves' go.

There is a hell of a lot more to it than "letting fellow members of society gorge themselves with food" - in today's world, the cheaper products are often the most unhealthy ones, so where being festively plumb was once a sign that you could afford more food than you actually needed, today its on a large scale a sign of people not being able to afford the RIGHT nutrition.
    No, I hate that excuse so much. So very much. It gets tossed around all the time "the cheap stuff is so unhealthy for you!" No, stop it. The cheap stuff that you can cook in a microwave is unhealthy for you. Yes, that much is true. But vegetables are really cheap. Fruit is really cheap. Rice is really cheap. You don't need to go buying pre-made cook in the microwave in 2 minutes TV diners just because they're cheap. If you actually cook your food you can make really healthy really cheap meals.
    ಠ_ಠ

fat people are disgusting. i have a friend, she s fat. i feel embarrassed when we hang out. some people think we are BF and GF, which we arent. but i just wish she was skinny. everytime i tell her to lose weight she just kind of ignores me ;(

i think if i was fat i would diet and sit in gym 8 hour a day...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    Regrettably I know you're right. Even you have to realize how ethically wrong it is though. And you're right, I am a landlord for under 10 units. Specifically I own 3. But they're wholly owned by me. I'm not employed by anyone. That's why I won't take the suicidally risky step of discriminating against people for things they have no control over. I'm the one that's completely liable.
    I wholly own 44 of the units. And I'm still the one that's totally liable under Oregon law. The property owner isn't liable for the actions of a licensed property manager.
    How long do you think it'll be before people like you get more regulations legislated that employers and landlords like myself have to wade through?
    It's totally a state by state thing. I know my state really well. Outside my state, I have no idea. But honestly, I see this being an issue the 9th circuit takes up in the next 15 years.
    Walking a thin red line like that does nothing but prove that people are shit and cause problems.
    As a property manager, my duty is to get the property owner the most out of their assets, including protecting them against loss. When I first started not renting to ugly people, I did it out of crass, juvenile motivations to be surrounded by pretty people.

It was only afterwards that I found the research that suggests ugly people do worse in life, make less money, and from a credibility and financial stability point of view are statistically worse tenants that I found a real justification for it. Statistically, the pretty people don't end up in collections and don't damage property.

So why not rent to them?

Historically, societies across time and the globe have had caste systems that puts ugly people into the bottom rung. It's the nature of natural selection to select for the best outcomes. We just have things like credit scores and rental history, but it's just a way of enforcing the existing bias.
    Quote Originally Posted by Callace View Post
    Considering you just linked a graph with no data plotted on it as factual evidence, I think Stanton can infer whatever the hell he wants.
    Extraordinary Claims Require Extraordinary Evidence - Sometimes I abbreviate this ECREE

Quote Originally Posted by Stanton Biston View Post
    I found the research that suggests ugly people do worse in life
    of course they do since they are usually the ones who are harassed and discriminated against

if that happened to the "pretty" people instead of the "ugly" people, then the "pretty" people would be the ones doing worse in life...

derp

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by crica View Post
    of course they do since they are usually the ones who are harassed and discriminated against

if that happened to the "pretty" people instead of the "ugly" people, then the "pretty" people would be the ones doing worse in life...

derp
    The idea that being ugly is an external factor to your quality of life worthy of research and potential future inclusion into protected classes is a new concept.
    Quote Originally Posted by Callace View Post
    Considering you just linked a graph with no data plotted on it as factual evidence, I think Stanton can infer whatever the hell he wants.
    Extraordinary Claims Require Extraordinary Evidence - Sometimes I abbreviate this ECREE

I don't have a problem with fat people, but I have a problem with fat people being sensitive of their weight. Nobody made them eat 2000 cals more then they need each day.

"Fat people are disgusting" is an example of prejudice not discrimination.
    Keep The Beats!

saying fat people are disgusting is just an opinion. it's neither prejudice nor discrimination.

not hiring someone because they are fat is discrimination however.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    The evidence for leprechauns is immense - do you know how many socks dissappear on the world scale... This means that the chance of leprechauns exists is the same as them not existing - therefore you cannot deny their existence

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PvPisthelifeforme View Post
    Now before I continue I am not some muscle head, 20 pack, fresh out of Jersey
    Just for the record, that "Jersey", should be replaced with "New York". I'm from the Jersey Shore, and we don't breed idiots like that....Back on topic, I don't think it's the "right" thing to do. As in live in a sedentary life style, HOWEVER, if a person wants to live like that, then fine. It's their choice, and in a FEW extreme circumstances I understand that sometimes there is nothing they can about their weight. Though, I do feel the majority of overweight people are certainly capable of making a healthy lifestyle change. It is all about finding the right inspiration and motivation before it is too late. It saddens me to see some of them the way they are, but if they feel good about themselves, then that is alright too, as long as they understand the possible repercussions. A little off topic, but back in the Middle Ages being fat meant "power" or "wealth". It is interesting how society changes perceptions the way it does.
    Goochy

Quote Originally Posted by Providence View Post
    saying fat people are disgusting is just an opinion. it's neither prejudice nor discrimination.

not hiring someone because they are fat is discrimination however.
    In what way is it not a prejudice?

prejudice (plural prejudices)

An adverse judgement or opinion formed beforehand or without knowledge of the facts.
    Any preconceived opinion or feeling, whether positive or negative.
    An irrational hostile attitude, fear or hatred towards a particular group, race or religion.
    The damage caused by such fear or hatred.
    (obsolete) Knowledge formed in advance; foresight, presaging.  [quotations ▼]
    Keep The Beats!

Quote Originally Posted by TheImmortalLordAtlas View Post
    In what way is it not a prejudice?

prejudice (plural prejudices)

An adverse judgement or opinion formed beforehand or without knowledge of the facts.
    An irrational hostile attitude, fear or hatred towards a particular group, race or religion.
    The damage caused by such fear or hatred.
    (obsolete) Knowledge formed in advance; foresight, presaging.  [quotations ▼]
    because saying fat people are disgusting is an opinionated statement. it's saying you find them disgusting based on their looks.
    a prejudice statement would be saying fat people are stupid which is a factual statement with no factual basing to back it up, or saying fat people are bad people with no factual basing and just a negative stigma due to the fact that you find them as bad people for whatever biased or unjustifiable reason.
    Last edited by Providence; 2012-03-05 at 11:19 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    The evidence for leprechauns is immense - do you know how many socks dissappear on the world scale... This means that the chance of leprechauns exists is the same as them not existing - therefore you cannot deny their existence

Quote Originally Posted by Providence View Post
    because saying fat people are disgusting is an opinionated statement. it's saying you find them disgusting based on their looks.
    a prejudice statement would be saying fat people are stupid which is a factual statement with no factual basing to back it up, or saying fat people are bad people with no factual basing and just a negative stigma due to the fact that you find them as bad people for whatever biased or unjustifiable reason.
    Did you even read the definitions?

Keep The Beats!

so basicly you're saying fat people decided to be fat(by not losing weight) so they should face with your or anyone's "discrimination" and no1 should say you're/they're discriminating because they're not losing weight and they're happy with it.

this is a poor way of justificating discrimination.

I just wonder why people confess on forums and seek for justifications

ps: btw ofcourse you can't say to their face, not because you're kind, but because you will get your ass kicked from work.

Deleted
    I am somewhat overweight and I can honestly say it is not because of genetic causes and stuff.

I simply enjoyed food too much. This is slowly improving though.

Take my little sister of 10, she is overweight for her age, yet she completely ignores the problem, no matter how many times I say she should do something about it.
    Then I see my mother feed her crap....ugh. >.<

But there is no reason to be disgusted by fat people. If you are disgusted (strong word imo) by their looks, fine that is your opinion. But you should not discriminate them.

Quote Originally Posted by coolkingler1 View Post
    I am somewhat overweight and I can honestly say it is not because of genetic causes and stuff.

I simply enjoyed food too much. This is slowly improving though.

Take my little sister of 10, she is overweight for her age, yet she completely ignores the problem, no matter how many times I say she should do something about it.
    Then I see my mother feed her crap....ugh. >.<

But there is no reason to be disgusted by fat people. If you are disgusted (strong word imo) by their looks, fine that is your opinion. But you should not discriminate them.
    Some groups of people took the statement "genetics contributes to body size" and made it "derp genetics made me fat".
    Keep The Beats!

Quote Originally Posted by Stanton Biston View Post
    I wholly own 44 of the units. And I'm still the one that's totally liable under Oregon law. The property owner isn't liable for the actions of a licensed property manager.
    It's totally a state by state thing. I know my state really well. Outside my state, I have no idea. But honestly, I see this being an issue the 9th circuit takes up in the next 15 years.
    As a property manager, my duty is to get the property owner the most out of their assets, including protecting them against loss. When I first started not renting to ugly people, I did it out of crass, juvenile motivations to be surrounded by pretty people.

It was only afterwards that I found the research that suggests ugly people do worse in life, make less money, and from a credibility and financial stability point of view are statistically worse tenants that I found a real justification for it. Statistically, the pretty people don't end up in collections and don't damage property.

So why not rent to them?

Historically, societies across time and the globe have had caste systems that puts ugly people into the bottom rung. It's the nature of natural selection to select for the best outcomes. We just have things like credit scores and rental history, but it's just a way of enforcing the existing bias.
    Man that's incredibly bigoted. For the first time in my life I'm hoping legislation against someone's bullshit gets passed.

And this is coming from someone who opposes pretty much every federal law on the books.