View Poll Results: Is it socially acceptable to be fat?

Voters
502. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    113 22.51%
  • No

    200 39.84%
  • Yes, but...

    124 24.70%
  • No, but...

    65 12.95%
Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
12
... LastLast
  1. #21
    I was thin and didn't like the fat people that much.
    I became fat because I stopped activities and kept eating loads. I got disgusted of my self.
    Now I'm thin again, and I don't like fat people even more. Because now I know that in most cases it's about making choices.
    Of course I dont discriminate them, but I just don't buy their cheap in most cases excuses.

  2. #22
    Stood in the Fire Nilan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Norn Iron
    Posts
    437
    Quote Originally Posted by Sendai View Post
    I don't like when overweight people start with the excuses :

    -I have bad metabolism!
    -My body has betrayed me!
    -It's in my genes, I can't do anything about it!
    -I can't get any muscles because it's my metabodygenelism!

    And so on.
    Actually to a point (im 150pounds and 6ft so I've no excuses to make :P) my other half is currently studying physiology and genetics do have an effect on weight loss and weight gain. As does muscle type. You know that I see 0 increase from Aerobic exercise, and always have. I have literally no stamina but I can knock out 100m in about 14s (Not bad for someone who doesnt train as a sprinter at 27), and I play football twice a week (1 training session, 1 game) as well as plenty of dog walking, usually 6-8miles a weekend and another 3 during the week.

    I can't drop weight through exercise at all. It's all very odd. I still have to be very careful with my diet.
    Last edited by Nilan; 2012-03-05 at 09:44 AM.

    <Senate Special Order> | Red Eclipse EU

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Nivis View Post
    You don't have to be active at all, you can sit around the whole day and still lose weight just by eating less.

    Personally, I don't care if someone is fat.
    It's not my business, and therefore not my place to judge them.
    Exercice is still much better. Our bodies are meant to be active.


    Quote Originally Posted by crica View Post
    fresh fruits and veggies at the grocery store costs 3x as much as all of the prepared sweets and starch heavy pastas and canned foods that are high in salt. if you actually went gorcery shopping you would know this
    How am I getting my food if not by grocery shopping? Does it teleport to my fridge?
    I eat 4000 kcalories a day and I spend less in food than many people. Interesting, no?
    Shadow Walk : Significantly increases Stealth effectiveness for 6 sec, but causes Stealth to be nerfed to justify its usage. In addition, it uses old Enveloping Shadows icon and has no sound, animation or spell effect to show that the skill is actually doing something.

  4. #24
    High Overlord
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    'Merica!
    Posts
    154
    Quote Originally Posted by crica View Post
    fresh fruits and veggies at the grocery store costs 3x as much as all of the prepared sweets and starch heavy pastas and canned foods that are high in salt. if you actually went gorcery shopping you would know this
    All those fresh fruits and veggies society is so fond on touting really aren't that great for you. Let's just pour on more sugar into our diet and oh those veggies, so full of water. It's just water, not that many calories. If you can't hunt for it or forage for it, don't eat it.

  5. #25
    Discriminating against anyone is unacceptable, however in situations where you require physical fit people for the job, then of course overweight people aren't going to get that kind of job.

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by Sendai View Post
    Exercice is still much better. Our bodies are meant to be active.




    How am I getting my food if not by grocery shopping? Does it teleport to my fridge?
    I eat 4000 kcalories a day and I spend less in food than many people. Interesting, no?
    and the healthy food still costs 3x more then the non-healthy food regardless of how much money YOU spend

  7. #27
    High Overlord
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    'Merica!
    Posts
    154
    Quote Originally Posted by crica View Post
    and the healthy food still costs 3x more then the non-healthy food regardless of how much money YOU spend
    Is this really your argument? Fat people are fat because of money? Really?

  8. #28
    High Overlord Lucidique's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Communist Utopia Denmark
    Posts
    161
    Obese people are disgusting.
    Hence, why I started working out once I started getting fat.

    League of Legends: Lucidique. Music: Popularity Contest!

  9. #29
    The Patient Orestis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    In the midst of failure.
    Posts
    314
    Quote Originally Posted by Sendai View Post
    As I wrote in the other thread that is related to this, I just don't see how eating healthy can be more expensive than eating out all the time. I just don't buy that people can't AFFORD to eat right.

    It's not about hitting the gym. If you watch what you eat and keep yourself active (walking instead of going by car in example) you'll be already in a much better condition than if you don't do that. It's that simple.
    I generally agree with you on the pricing issue. But still... Last thread I even went through the trouble of tallying up what I had for dinner (home made goodness) in calories, and comparing it to Taco Bell taco's (suggested by another poster), the taco's came out to be about 10 cents cheaper, something around $3.00 for a meal (it was like 6-7 taco's, around 1000 Cal). I was pretty horrified at that... and the taco's don't even require you to spend time making them, burning calories in front of the stove. The $.10 is pretty negligible to me...

  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by Nilan View Post
    Actually to a point (im 150pounds and 6ft so I've no excuses to make :P) my other half is currently studying physiology and genetics do have an effect on weight loss and weight gain. As does muscle type. You know that I see 0 increase from Aerobic exercise, and always have. I have literally no stamina but I can knock out 100m in about 14s (Not bad for someone who doesnt train as a sprinter at 27), and I play football twice a week (1 training session, 1 game) as well as plenty of dog walking, usually 6-8miles a weekend and another 3 during the week.

    I can't drop weight through exercise at all. It's all very odd. I still have to be very careful with my diet.
    Hard work will usually overshadow any genetic differences unless you're going to compete.
    Shadow Walk : Significantly increases Stealth effectiveness for 6 sec, but causes Stealth to be nerfed to justify its usage. In addition, it uses old Enveloping Shadows icon and has no sound, animation or spell effect to show that the skill is actually doing something.

  11. #31
    "To each their own" unfortunately does not have a place in this issue. While yes, in almost all cases, people can do whatever they (legally) want, being morbidly obese is more of an issue than you think.

    My sister actually had an issue with this on an airplane. She had a child (I think he was around 2 at the time) and paid for both seats. When they got on the plane, she found out that some 800 pound behemoth was slopping over into her son's seat, to the point where he could not even sit in it, much less buckle in. She asked if she could be moved, but there were no other spaces available, and nobody would move (apparently there were empty seats, but no two together; and nobody would make room) so she got seriously pissed. She mentioned something to the person taking up both seats, and HE got pissed at her, screaming about discrimination, all sorts of other nonsense. The plane couldn't pull away from the terminal because of this. They finally just bumped them up to First Class. But fucking seriously? If you are THAT goddamn big, you pay for two fucking seats. Don't like it? Either fix the issue, or deal with it.

    I could go on and on. Large people collapsing/falling in public and hurting people/animals, etc. It's just ridiculous. Sorry, you gave up a lot of your rights when you decided to stuff your fucking face to the point where you look like a freaking balloon. "It's genetic", "thyroid problem", "I can't help it", whatever excuse you want to come up with, it's complete BS. Nobody was born fat, and 99% of the 'I can't help it' people COULD do something about it, they're just too fucking lazy to do so. But they expect everyone to go out of their way to make special exceptions for them because of their girth. It's a health and safety hazard, and not just for the obese people, but for everyone around them.

    Also, jobs/companies DO have a way to discriminate against 'fatties'...all they have to say is something along the lines of, 'your size will cause issues on the job'. Or they can't operate something. Or they can't fit into the working area. There are all sorts of ways around it. Would you hire some 600 lb slob as a security guard? What about a construction worker, working on tall buildings and stuff? Or an electric/phone company, that has to get in those cherry pickers and work on high-voltage lines? Or, going down another moral line, working in a children's restaurant? I think you get my point.

    And, final note, as for your title, "Are fat people disgusting?" Yes, indeed they are. (For the record, I am by no means skinny; but I can still look down and see my junk without having to move things around.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .

  12. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by Astounded View Post
    All those fresh fruits and veggies society is so fond on touting really aren't that great for you. Let's just pour on more sugar into our diet and oh those veggies, so full of water. It's just water, not that many calories. If you can't hunt for it or forage for it, don't eat it.
    calories alone doesn't equal healthy food for humans - vitamins, minerals, fiber, pure water, natural sugar, non-saturated fat PLUS the right amount of calories equals healthy food for humans

  13. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by crica View Post
    fresh fruits and veggies at the grocery store costs 3x as much as all of the prepared sweets and starch heavy pastas and canned foods that are high in salt. if you actually went gorcery shopping you would know this
    Oh? Maybe on a meal by meal basis, sure. a can of ravioli would cost me 3 dollars and ingredients for ravioli and sauce would cost closer to 10 dollars if I made the sauce homemade, plus prep time.
    Except...the can feeds me one meal. The ingredients can feed me for several days or longer if I don't use them all or use some of them for another dish. Theres no excuse for eating like shit all the time except laziness and ignorance.

  14. #34
    I constantly struggle with my right to pass judgment. On one hand, I like to beleive that you can do whatever you want, there is no right or wrong in life. On the other, I sometimes just see things that go so strongly against what I beleive it is hard not to...

    Anywho, the point of that is that I try not to make fun of fat people or anything like that. I usually just pity them when they are obscenely large and thank any Gods that may exist I am not like that. However, some people may consider that worse.

  15. #35
    High Overlord
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    'Merica!
    Posts
    154
    Quote Originally Posted by Orestis View Post
    I generally agree with you on the pricing issue. But still... Last thread I even went through the trouble of tallying up what I had for dinner (home made goodness) in calories, and comparing it to Taco Bell taco's (suggested by another poster), the taco's came out to be about 10 cents cheaper, something around $3.00 for a meal (it was like 6-7 taco's, around 1000 Cal). I was pretty horrified at that... and the taco's don't even require you to spend time making them, burning calories in front of the stove. The $.10 is pretty negligible to me...
    If you're having 1000 calories in one sitting you need to grab a book on understanding metabolism and nutrition. Unless of course you're a competitive athlete.

  16. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by crica View Post
    and the healthy food still costs 3x more then the non-healthy food regardless of how much money YOU spend
    You can feed a family of four a healthy meal for $10. Where the hell do you buy family-sized fast food for $3.33?
    Last edited by saberon; 2012-03-05 at 09:50 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
    Don't use facts, they unsettle peoples' prejudices, and once that happens the flames start.
    Quote Originally Posted by krethos View Post
    Its Science, just ask Albert Einstien, he invented Space

  17. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by crica View Post
    fresh fruits and veggies at the grocery store costs 3x as much as all of the prepared sweets and starch heavy pastas and canned foods that are high in salt. if you actually went gorcery shopping you would know this
    Yeah, and the cheaper, prepared stuff makes you instantly gain twice your body weight.

    People are too fat because they're gorging. What the hell is so complicated about weight. If you don't want to be fat, stop fucking eating all the time. Stop devouring newborn-sized portions of everything you have for lunch. Stop compensating your boredom and your insecurities by eating. People are making this completely ridiculous discussion out of it. People are fat because the can't stop eating, end of story.

  18. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by saberon View Post
    Firstly, you don't need to go to the gym to be fit or healthy. You need to eat properly.
    Secondly, just because fast food is cheap and convenient, does not mean it's the cheapest source of food.
    Thirdly, most people are fat because they are lazy and/or stupid, or at the very least uninformed.
    Fourth, the whole "time issue" is bullshit. It takes 10 minutes to whip up a healthy meal. Fat fucks spend at least ten times that waddling around at half the speed of others all day... not to mention the time it takes to get fast food.
    Fifth, there are legitimate reasons for being overweight. Some people do have metabolism or glandular issues that cause, or are a factor in, their weight issues. That being said, most fatties are fat because they eat shit, not because of medical issues.
    Sixth, PIZZA IS NOT A FUCKING VEGETABLE. FOR FUCK SAKE. FOR FUCK SAKE.



    As to the question of "Is it Discriminatory...?"
    Yes, it is. Treating someone differently based on their weight is 100% discriminatory.
    Letting in be known that fatties need to eat healthy and stop bitching about being fatties? Jury's still out on that one.




    As an aside, "Discrimination", as viewed and defined by the general public, pisses me off.
    How is it ok to call someone too skinny, but not ok to call them too fat?
    How is it ok to judge someone based on their hair colour, but not their skin colour?

    People are dumbasses.
    Fatties are fat. Eat healthy, you dumbfucks. Pizza is NOT A FUCKING VEGETABLE.
    and there's the first proper ignorant rightwing nutjob to enter the fray. that level of rage is really unhealthy, did a fat person kill your family? reading between the lines it seems the murder weapon was a pizza.

  19. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by Astounded View Post
    Is this really your argument? Fat people are fat because of money? Really?
    nope - i was simply stating a fact - the healthy fresh food costs more then the unhealthy prepared food

  20. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by Orestis View Post
    I generally agree with you on the pricing issue. But still... Last thread I even went through the trouble of tallying up what I had for dinner (home made goodness) in calories, and comparing it to Taco Bell taco's (suggested by another poster), the taco's came out to be about 10 cents cheaper, something around $3.00 for a meal (it was like 6-7 taco's, around 1000 Cal). I was pretty horrified at that... and the taco's don't even require you to spend time making them, burning calories in front of the stove. The $.10 is pretty negligible to me...
    You can be more economic. Check the prices of ground meat. They range 255-289 kcal per 100g.
    Shadow Walk : Significantly increases Stealth effectiveness for 6 sec, but causes Stealth to be nerfed to justify its usage. In addition, it uses old Enveloping Shadows icon and has no sound, animation or spell effect to show that the skill is actually doing something.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •