Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Thassarian View Post
    Wasn't Expertise copied from Rift's Vengeance? I was reading the WoW thread from the main page too and someone brought this up.
    expertise has always been in the game. it became what it is now around mid BC - wrath (dont remember) and people have been asking for this change from before swoter beta or anything was out

Wasn't Expertise copied from Rift's Vengeance? I was reading the WoW thread from the main page too and someone brought this up.
    No, expertise has just about always been in WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by abovebeyond View Post
    It was an EXCELLENT system. Resilience killed PvP for many people.

Scarab Lord Soong
    Yeah, it killed PvP for a lot of facerolling top PvE guilds. What a shame.
    The night is dark and full of terrors...

10+ Year Old Account
    I do not want hutball in WoW under any premise. It's fucking awful and it would make doing random battlegrounds horrible because you'd end up getting it.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    whats the music on the video.....
    Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelled of elderberries.

Quote Originally Posted by abovebeyond View Post
    It was an EXCELLENT system. Resilience killed PvP for many people.

Scarab Lord Soong
    Its true

People who relied on PvE to win could no longer compete.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jazen View Post
    whats the music on the video.....
    first song: breaking me down - soil
    Second song: Warriors - Freedom call

Some old school stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroEdgeir View Post
    Welcome to Classic, where hardcore PvPers get stomped cause they don't PvE, and the PvE content provides the best gear.

It was a bad model, as anyone from back then will attest to.

Now, with them adding in an offensive PvP stat as well as defensive (Resilience and "PvP Power"), it means if you wanna be hard to kill, you can stat for it. If you wanna be a destructive force in PvP, you can. If you want a balance, you can.

AND with the new design for PvP gear, it will be even better for us pure PvEers, as the PvP gear will have lower ilevel in MoP too, so that you can't use it to stack your ilevel to get into LFR and such.
    Im sorry, and WoTLK didn't do this too? Get the best PvP gear easily through Raids? PvP in WoTLK was more broken than Classic, and in Classic the PvP gear was actually decent.

Quote Originally Posted by woodydave44 View Post
    Its true

People who relied on PvE to win could no longer compete.
    People who rely on PvP can't compete in PvE. Why should it be the other way around?
    The night is dark and full of terrors...

SWTOR does it wrong

SWTOR does it wrong.

The fact that a single stat gives you both positive (damage) and negative (defense) PvP value makes the gulf between new PvPers and Battlemasters even larger.

WoW is at least breaking it into two stats and putting in a base "defense" this means that gear can be more intelligently itemized.

I like WoW's new system better then the current SWTOR system.

Illum is fail (WTB instanced Wintegrasp type battleground). I can't believe Bioware didn't consider the fact that their just might be faction imbalances...

Empire on my server has it a lot easier to reach Battlemaster then Republic.

No, back in Vanilla when you still had weapon skills you could obtain +10 swords. What it did was make your skills act as if you were higher level that used that skill. AKA it decreased parry and dodge. At some point it was changed and, this is where expertise in WoW came from.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnarocket View Post
    Exactly this!

WoW noticed that the way SWTOR handled it's PvP stat was working well and so decided to take from them, nothing wrong about it. By taking the idea it's possible that WoW could come up with an even better way to handle it and SWTOR would look at that and possibly implement it. This is why competition in the market is a good thing. It enriches EVERYONE'S game!
    even tho it may be a bit idealistic, this is the correct way free market consumerism should be. competition breeds innovation, which like the ouroboros, will feed into itself and bolster the base and improve any idea thereafter. sort of like reforging a blade with better techniques and metal, each fold and strike equate to past innovation and knowledge.

so many like to be fanbois and decree one's boot over the other's neck, but it's the variety that creates a place for newer understanding. like the first girl you date for years, when you break up (when you become apathetic to an existing product) you look for a new, better way to be with someone, someone who "gets" you (trusted company history), and then the thrill of novelty exists again (a new product is demanded/wanted).

change is hard because it forces you to redefine words long since inked. but that's why learning kicks ass--it's the truest meta-game around.
    "Angle of incidence equals angle of reflectance. Meaning, if you can see them, they can see you. Use the environment around you. Free yourself from the tyranny of eye-level!"--Roger Dodger i also play the git-box
    Poke THIS Robot--it's a link to MY MUSIC!--

Deleted
    MMOs copy from eachother, and have always done.

Quote Originally Posted by MKing View Post
    Here's your resilience removed PVP

I would be happy to come back and play on my arms warrior if they made that change!
    I feel like that warrior on my Juggernaut when I get heals too. No difference really.

I suspect they'll copy more. One thing I think the blizz devs should look at is swtors hearth system. I find it vastly more flexible and player friendly than tying it to 1 inn.

Quote Originally Posted by namelessone View Post
    People who rely on PvP can't compete in PvE. Why should it be the other way around?

/facepalm

Read that again with the quote this time =/

---------- Post added 2012-03-05 at 05:26 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by TonyIommi View Post
    I suspect they'll copy more. One thing I think the blizz devs should look at is swtors hearth system. I find it vastly more flexible and player friendly than tying it to 1 inn.
    Which is copied from other lesser known korean games.

I can play this game too!

Quote Originally Posted by woodydave44 View Post

I can play this game too!

I wasn't speaking perjoratively or anything. I just wasn't aware that was in other korean mmo games. If that's the case I'm at a loss to explain why they haven't copied such a system sooner. IMO it's light years ahead of the one hearthstone tied to one inn model.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by skrump View Post
    To bad it is not allowed in other competitive industries such as automotive manufacturing or software programing.
    Instead we have long lasting copyright laws that protect the original creator by refusing to let anyone improve on his base design.

P.S I want my toothbrush with different length textured bristles, a pivoting head and a fading stripe telling me when to get a new one, all while having a comfortable fat handle with a roll of floss hidden inside.
    Yes and no. This isn't the same by a long stretch. For instance, no one can use WoW's base code and create their own copy of WoW, complete with models and such. That's illegal and violates copyright law. However, nothing says I can't create a game similar to WoW, that uses many of the same ideas, styles, and gameplay notions. You can't copyright the idea of a talent tree.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyIommi View Post
    I wasn't speaking perjoratively or anything. I just wasn't aware that was in other korean mmo games. If that's the case I'm at a loss to explain why they haven't copied such a system sooner. IMO it's light years ahead of the one hearthstone tied to one inn model.
    Perhaps Blizz feels that their system already provides more mobility than is necessary. Implementing a better hearth system would shrink the world even more, so they might be hesitant to do so.

---------- Post added 2012-03-05 at 11:52 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    Yes and no. This isn't the same by a long stretch. For instance, no one can use WoW's base code and create their own copy of WoW, complete with models and such. That's illegal and violates copyright law. However, nothing says I can't create a game similar to WoW, that uses many of the same ideas, styles, and gameplay notions. You can't copyright the idea of a talent tree.
    It's unfortunately a very grey area. The Apple v. Samsung "look and feel" case from last year shows that you actually might be able to create legal blocks against copying something like a talent tree. It might not fall under copyright, but there are other tools.

I don't think Blizz feels challenged by such companies, though, as excessive similarity tends to drive people back to WoW - Why invest in learning a new game if the company hasn't invested in creating an actually new game?

Quote Originally Posted by kijthae View Post
    PVP stat is now changed. It wont offer only defence , it will offer defence vs players , healing done vs players in pvp combat and damage done vs other players. I expect more changes like that and something like huttball in future.
    This exact thing has been done in other MMOs before, most recently Rift.
    Retired GM of Temerity - US Top 50 raiding on a strict 3 nights since Ulduar. Check us out!
    https://www.wowprogress.com/guild/us/hyjal/Temerity