Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    Quote Originally Posted by golds View Post
    There has been about 514 Leap Years since Caesar Created it in 45BC.

Without the extra day every four years, today would be july 28th, 2013.

Also, the Mayan calendar did not account for leap year....so technically the world should have ended 7 months ago!!!!

Problem 20 million dollar bunker builders?

What are your thoughts?

Proof Maya's didn't use leap year(Scroll down to Maya Section) http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...tures-science/
    A couple of things, first the calculations on the Mayan calendar are correct. Since the understanding of the Mayan calendar was translated by John Eric Sydney Thompson in 1935 on the basis of earlier correlations by Joseph Goodman in 1905. These where scientist, and they did account for the difference between our calendar and the Mayans. The event that has everyone talk is based on how the calendar works.

Each section of the calendar counts a different Measure of time. the Mayans had several calendars each with a different measure of time and purpose. The Long Count is the one every one is talking about was the measure of history. The Mayans would record events of importance on a side of a building using the long count. It was not a measure of the future but the past. Which is an important distinction here.

Table of Long Count
    units Days Long Count period Long Count unit Approximate solar years
    1 1 Kin
    20 20 Kin 1 Uinal
    360 18 Uinal 1 Tun ~ 1
    7,200 20 Tun 1 Ka'tun 19.7
    144,000 20 Ka'tun 1 Bak'tun 394.3
    2,880,000 20 Bak'tun 1 Pictun 7,885
    57,600,000 20 Pictun 1 Kalabtun 157,808
    1,152,000,000 20 Kalabtun 1 K'inchiltun 3,156,164
    23,040,000,000 20 K'inchiltun 1 Alautun 63,123,288

The Year zero for this calender is August 11, 3114 BCE based on the corrected modern calendar.

Alautun K'inchiltun Kalabtun Pictun baktun katun tun uinal kin
    1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1

According to the long count today is:

1 1 1 1 12 19 19 9 3

So the next thing to know is the end of the calendar. This is where the Mayans where being very optimistic.

20 20 20 20 20 20 20 18 19+1

is in 126 million years I would have to write a program to calculate our calendar to the exact day. I have to say odds are things will be very different in the universe by that point.

What we are hitting is the beginning of 2 Pictun, nothing more.

But now lets look at the important calendar of the Mayans, because this talk is about the calendar of the past to understand the future we need to look at the future calendar for planning. Ohh the Mayans had two of these, the Tzolk'in and the Haab'.

The Tzolk'in was the Maya Sacred Round or 260-day calendar, this was for planning what to sacrifice to Gods, notice it does not line up to the actual year, this way every year the holidays fall on different days. There where 20 months of thirteen days on this calendar. The way it worked was Name and a number, they marked the whole month as a day for the assisted meaning or god. it was also how they marked many of the holidays. But not all of them.

Seq.No. 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    Month Name Imix' Ik' Ak'b'al K'an Chikchan Kimi Manik' Lamat Muluk Ok Chuwen Eb' B'en Ix Men Kib' Kab'an Etz'nab' Kawak Ajaw
    meaning waterlily, crocodile wind, breath, life force darkness, night, early dawn Net, sacrifice cosmological snake death deer Venus, star, ripe(ness), maize seeds jade, water, offering dog howler monkey rain green/young maize, seed jaguar eagle wax earth flint rain storm lord, ruler, sun

The next calendar was really interesting it is the Haab' this is the calendar which is just like ours, it even has the ability to be corrected every four years.

For one I wont do the chart as this takes a lot of time to make, but it has 18 months with twenty days each and then a five day period that was considered unlucky. The leap year could be placed in the unlucky period.

1 Pop mat
    2 Wo' black conjunction
    3 Sip red conjunction
    4 Sotz' bat
    5 Tzek death
    6 Xul dog
    7 Yaxk'in' new sun
    8 Mol water
    9 Ch'en black storm
    10 Yax green storm
    11 Sak' white storm
    12 Keh red storm
    13 Mak enclosed
    14 K'ank'in yellow sun
    15 Muwan' owl
    16 Pax planting time
    17 K'ayab turtle
    18 Kumk'u granary
    19 Wayeb' five unlucky days

So today is
    Haab:6 tzec
    Tzolkin:9 Akbal

So when what does this all mean about the Mayan Calendar? A true Geek invented it, it is highly complicated, will last longer than human life, it actually doesn't predict a thing besides when to cut someones heart out. But in a way it is beautiful in its complication.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well that's a very intriguing read. I don't know if you'll get infracted for necro, but I personally think it is worth leaving open for discussion.

Personally I think it is almost something we should celebrate, we're alive for the change to the second Pictun! Something far more amazing/special than the year 2000.

But wait, perhaps too many amazing things are happening here in such a close time period! (The end is totally nigh.)
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Anyone can look out their window and see the world is slowly dying, if you can't your blind. The world won't end instantly, we will all die slowly

Interesting theory

To quote the great John Cleese
    "Thank you for stating the absolute bleeding obvious!"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by golds View Post
    There has been about 514 Leap Years since Caesar Created it in 45BC.

Without the extra day every four years, today would be july 28th, 2013.

Also, the Mayan calendar did not account for leap year....so technically the world should have ended 7 months ago!!!!

Problem 20 million dollar bunker builders?

What are your thoughts?

Proof Maya's didn't use leap year(Scroll down to Maya Section) http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...tures-science/
    A doomsday warning was wrong?! Well I never!

Quote Originally Posted by sarethen View Post
    I better go and un-make my bunker.
    If blizzard didn't nerf them you would've gotten all your money back instead of only 75%

10+ Year Old Account
    Old thread. While I'm sure the notion will come up again in December, for now let's not make any of these threads, as they border on conspiracy theory.