Thread: Why no Kodan?

Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Why no Kodan?

Of all the races in GW2 none of them, to me anyway, look as good as the bear-like kodan!

With all the official statements made about them by A-Net you would think that they would be a playable race. They have a very extensive history that they have posted on the official Wiki; including such things as an in-depth account of thier creation, and a very extensive look into thier belief system along with a basic understanding of thier cultural structure. Not to mention the architecture and armor styles of this race are extremely baddass.

Now, I have never played the original GW game so there are few questions I would like to ask:

-Was this race even in the original game?

-If they have made this much background about this one race, why not let us be able to actually play them?

-For those of you you have played the original GW game, is this race something that you all like? Or feel that it is something they just threw at you?

Personally I hope this race gets added into the game at some point for me to actually play one. I just hope they don't pull a 'Blizzard' and add them in them game then just forget about them; not with all this information and background they have made for them. And what I mean by saying "pulling a Blizzard" is like when Bliz added the Arakkoa and the Ethereals into the game, created some really cool backstories, then just left them all to rot in the Outlands...

Anyway, here are some links directly to the information related to the Kodan on thier official Wiki:
    http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/The_...r_of_the_Kodan - Kodan: Backstory
    http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Koda - Kodan: Diety
    http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Kodan - Kodan: Basic Information

Deleted
    I couldn't remember a race called the Kodan in GW1 and a quick check of the GW wiki only showed a dwarven npc of the same name. So looks like they're new for GW2.

Never played GW1 and to be honest I'm not too interested in lore, but I wanna big, cuddly and badass polar bear toon
    Hopefully they will be added in some expansions...

i smell future expansion pack :}

Sure hope so!
    Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.

Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Quote Originally Posted by ShamanTankFTW View Post
    Of all the races in GW2 none of them, to me anyway, look as good as the bear-like kodan!

With all the official statements made about them by A-Net you would think that they would be a playable race. They have a very extensive history that they have posted on the official Wiki; including such things as an in-depth account of thier creation, and a very extensive look into thier belief system along with a basic understanding of thier cultural structure. Not to mention the architecture and armor styles of this race are extremely baddass.

Now, I have never played the original GW game so there are few questions I would like to ask:

-Was this race even in the original game?

-If they have made this much background about this one race, why not let us be able to actually play them?

-For those of you you have played the original GW game, is this race something that you all like? Or feel that it is something they just threw at you?

Personally I hope this race gets added into the game at some point for me to actually play one. I just hope they don't pull a 'Blizzard' and add them in them game then just forget about them; not with all this information and background they have made for them. And what I mean by saying "pulling a Blizzard" is like when Bliz added the Arakkoa and the Ethereals into the game, created some really cool backstories, then just left them all to rot in the Outlands...

Anyway, here are some links directly to the information related to the Kodan on thier official Wiki:
    http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/The_...r_of_the_Kodan - Kodan: Backstory
    http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Koda - Kodan: Diety
    http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Kodan - Kodan: Basic Information
    There probably going to be like a gw2 version of those minor-neutral factions you see in WoW like the Tuskaar.

Also someone should phone Blizzard and tell them this is how you make a race of Bear-Humanoids

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Wish this race existed, looks so badass!

Volibear? Is that you!?

I'd easily play a Kodan Warrior.
    - Guild Wars 2 Characters -
    Senari of the Woad | Riven Lightsbane | Cain the Mystic

The Kodan were not in the original Guild wars lore, as far as i can remember. OR they were just mentioned to live north of the Northern Shiverpeaks, which is like at the possible end of the world.
    And their philosophy could potentially make them a future antagonist race. You know, them wanting to murder everything, since it's not up to they standarts and all :|
    And yes, i am extremely oversimplifying it, don't grab the pichforks :P

Well, maybe in the expansion.

The Kodan were f-ing awesome. The only problem is making them distinct from bear form Norn quickly, without exposition and visually readable.

Clarity of design is immensely important. If there would arise a situation where another player off-handedly would say, "Not sure if Norn or..." you have failed in that goal as a designer.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post

The Kodan were f-ing awesome. The only problem is making them distinct from bear form Norn quickly, without exposition and visually readable.

Clarity of design is immensely important. If there would arise a situation where another player off-handedly would say, "Not sure if Norn or..." you have failed in that goal as a designer.
    That same thought came to mind as soon as I saw the thread. Doable, they just need to take some time out to alter either form a bit. Even now, we have no idea whether or not they use different models already. I think it would be pretty bad-ass to stroll around town as a polar bear, nbd. Does anyone know if they can survive temperate/desert level temperatures? If not, they'll end up being somewhat like the Tuskarr.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post

*Snip*

I agree it's too similar to the Norn for my liking, they're both Norse themed and the Norn can transform into Bears themselves. I mean they're epic; but too similar to the Norn.

Kodan are polar bears, think there is enough of a difference from Norn Bear form which are more grizzly bear-esque. If anything, I think that fact, along with trying to make a female version, are the biggest thing tripping up the Kodan from being playable. Can't really have all that many shades of white for fur color.

15+ Year Old Account
    Gimme Kodan and Tengu as playable races and I'll love you long time Anet...

Well, more then I already do at least.

I am also hoping this race opens up in an expansion pack. It is my favorite looking race by far.

Ugh.. GW version of panda bears, no fucking thanks. I hate these types of races -___-

Quote Originally Posted by Spellsword View Post
    Ugh.. GW version of panda bears, no fucking thanks. I hate these types of races -___-
    always gotta have that 1 cynical person who thinks its cool to hate. I for one think the Kodan would be badass

Yet we have a feline-like race, and you don't seem to have trouble with that.

I'm not certain I want the Kodan as a playable race, but I would like to see a lot of them in GW2. They seem to be a pretty cool race.

Quote Originally Posted by etubrutei View Post
    always gotta have that 1 cynical person who thinks its cool to hate. I for one think the Kodan would be badass
    I honestly am just annoyed by furry races I am not hating because I think it's cool, but hey you obviously think it's cool to assume shit, now who's hating?

Quote Originally Posted by StationaryHawk View Post

I'm not certain I want the Kodan as a playable race, but I would like to see a lot of them in GW2. They seem to be a pretty cool race.
    I do not like the charr. I never liked how they were even in GW1 and I've been killing them for years which I find funny how they are a playable race in GW2 lol.

I "accept" the charr, and I would hate to have more than 1 furry race.

Quote Originally Posted by StationaryHawk View Post

indeed playable or not it would be epic to have a 13 foot polarbear giant next to you if you look at this pic Aer who is a norn looks the size of a human compared to a Kodan

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

---------- Post added 2012-03-06 at 12:46 AM ----------

I honestly am just annoyed by furry races I am not hating because I think it's cool, but hey you obviously think it's cool to assume shit, now who's hating?
    still you man

I'd rather see Tengu as playable at some point, but if they make Kodan different enough from the Norn I'd be happy to play one.