Questions About Army Enlistment

I am 27 and considering joining the army as the career thing is not working out so well. The thing is im on some psych medications that would figure are not a great thing if your looking to join. Clonapin and Paxil are what im frequently taking, Ive cut back alot on those, also take concerta off an on. I was wondering if a recruiter would have any hangups about someone who was regularly taking that medication. Thanks
    Last edited by Seani; 2012-03-05 at 11:30 PM.

So an antidepressant and a benzo? Whats the benzo for if you don't mind me asking. I figure that they wouldn't really mind about the antidepressant, the benzo could be a problem I think, but I'm not a recruiter...

Are you still allowed to join at 27?

Isn't there an age limit?

Quote Originally Posted by Archangel Tyrael View Post
    Are you still allowed to join at 27?

Isn't there an age limit?
    Assuming he's talking about US Army, the age limit is 35.

10+ Year Old Account
    Call up your local army recruiter. I imagine that psych issues+combat situation=problems, but the army really isn't very picky.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    It shouldn't be a problem at all. You might not get into a combat position, but the modern army has a massive variation of supportive roles that you could fill into

Quote Originally Posted by Foosha View Post
    So an antidepressant and a benzo? Whats the benzo for if you don't mind me asking. I figure that they wouldn't really mind about the antidepressant, the benzo could be a problem I think, but I'm not a recruiter...
    Its for anxiety but more specifically Autonomic Nervous System Dysfunctia.

---------- Post added 2012-03-05 at 06:48 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    Call up your local army recruiter. I imagine that psych issues+combat situation=problems, but the army really isn't very picky.
    Im asking here before I bring the information to a local recruiter.

Quote Originally Posted by Seani View Post
    I am 27 and considering joining the army as the career thing is not working out so well. The thing is im on some psych medications that would figure are not a great thing if your looking to join. Clonapin and Paxil are what im frequently taking, Ive cut back alot on those, also take concerta off an on. I was wondering if a recruiter would have any hangups about someone who was regularly taking that medication. Thanks
    I would not recommend joining unless you have a great skill set that will keep you stateside. If you are deployed in a combat zone it is quite possible you will exacerbate your mental condition(s). The meds you list are generally used for panic and anxiety issues, particularly in that combination. Now if you can join the Air Force or Navy you may have more choice of avoiding direct combat. The Air Force in particular has the most non-combat personnel. As a side note they also tend to have the best food. But seriously, under the best of conditions deployment is stressful. Most of the men in my family have done at least some time in the various branches, as have many of my friends, you don't want to go into a combat zone if you already have issues relating to anxiety/panic/depression.

Don't give up on your civilian options, keep an eye out for new opportunities.

Alright thanks for you input I think I have my answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Primaliron View Post
    I would not recommend joining unless you have a great skill set that will keep you stateside. If you are deployed in a combat zone it is quite possible you will exacerbate your mental condition(s). The meds you list are generally used for panic and anxiety issues, particularly in that combination. Now if you can join the Air Force or Navy you may have more choice of avoiding direct combat. The Air Force in particular has the most non-combat personnel. As a side note they also tend to have the best food. But seriously, under the best of conditions deployment is stressful. Most of the men in my family have done at least some time in the various branches, as have many of my friends, you don't want to go into a combat zone if you already have issues relating to anxiety/panic/depression.

This right here is just about the best advice. You don't want to have a serious attack on the battle field its a team effort out there and one weak link can cost a lot of lives. I agree with the Air Force option as well, good branch more support roles and their combat deployment is normally less intense than army etc. Had a few friends in the Army and Air Force and the AF people seemed to be home more and dealing a lot less with combat. Really think about dealing with the combat before making your decision. They will give you an evaluation to determine what they think, but it will definitely be an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Primaliron View Post

....Seeing as more soldiers kill themselves in a year than any number Iraq or Afgan puts out, I'm sure he will never, or very unlikely see a combat zone. With his anxiety disorder I can guarantee he will never be deployed in a combat role. The army isn't stupid...maybe ignorant or apathetic, but not stupid.

I think we can close this post now.

Quote Originally Posted by Seani View Post
    I think we can close this post now.
    Forgot to say Good Luck