Poll: Do you think people should be able to buy junk food with food stamps?

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by shootyadead View Post
    Same here. I can't believe they are going to charge like 4 or 5 seperate charges to play the RMAH in Diablo3.

---------- Post added 2012-03-06 at 10:37 AM ----------

Seems like she really loves what she does, and you said earlier that she doesn't complain about it at all so she's definitely a saint, especially considering I know how bad it can be dealing with people at the VA.

She gets like three people a week that are only there to ask if medical marijuana is legal in this state yet, and take up her time,, and the nurses that check people in time, just to ask for it. I think I would quit that job after one week.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Twiddly View Post
    She gets like three people a week that are only there to ask if medical marijuana is legal in this state yet, and take up her time,, and the nurses that check people in time, just to ask for it. I think I would quit that job after one week.
    I currently work at a hospital and I see plenty of people asking for stupid things like that all the time. It sucks that these people take up the time/attention of health care professionals who are needed in other rooms/areas of the hospital.
    "I am the hope of the universe. I am the answer to all living things that cry out for peace. I am the protector of the innocent. I am the light in the darkness. I am truth. Ally to good! Nightmare to you!!!"

I see you that song, and raise you

the best EBT song ever!
    Is it just me, or does that guy look like a high Will Smith with a rat tail?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by golds View Post
    So when I was filling up at the gas station today, a lady in front of me, who pulled up in her jaguar, used her food stamps to buy doritos, soda, candy and some slim jims.

Personally, I think it's foolish to let people use our tax dollars to snap into slim jims.

What do you think?
    Just a sec, need to google slim jims.

Erm, well the way I see it, she was just balancing out the 4 food groups.
    Doritos for grains.
    Candy for dairy.
    Slim jims for protein.
    And soda for...erm...the 4th group.

10+ Year Old Account
    I see you that song, and raise you

the best EBT song ever!
    Almost fell out of my chair

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    No one is saying they should. Obama wanted to raise them to something like 35%. Historically that's incredibly low.
    Taxes on income over $379,000 per year is already 35%. *Even that doesn't matter since the LARGEST earners earn the tremendous bulk of their income through capital gains.

If you really want to make a dent with taxes, simply eliminate the corporate tax and tax capital gains as income.

It's that simple.

10+ Year Old Account
    I always thought the idea of food stamps was awesome, I wish we had such a thing here in Norway.

Just glad I live by myself, because food here is crazy expensive. I would save ALOT by just going to Sweden and buy groceries, even though I don't live that close to the border.

Was just in the news that Norwegians had spent close to 6 bilion NOK last year, going to Sweden to buy groceries. That's 9% more than the year before.
    That's rather crazy.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TylerN View Post
    I always thought the idea of food stamps was awesome, I wish we had such a thing here in Norway.

Just glad I live by myself, because food here is crazy expensive. I would save ALOT by just going to Sweden and buy groceries, even though I don't live that close to the border.

Was just in the news that Norwegians had spent close to 6 bilion NOK last year, going to Sweden to buy groceries. That's 9% more than the year before.
    That's rather crazy.
    Same thing here in Ireland. I live close to the border with Northern Ireland in the UK. Food is a lot cheaper over there and so many people drive across the border to the nearest big town to get their weekly shopping.

As for the "junk food from food stamps" I'm not that bothered. Otherwise you'd get tangled up in "well how healthy does food have to be before you can buy it with stamps". Not worth the paperwork.

Wait what is considered junk food?

Fruit drinks / soft drinks? (They are mostly just sugar)
    Soda?
    Cool-aid?
    Cookies? (What if it's sugur free cookies?)
    Lunchables?
    TV dinners?
    Fried chicken?

What if they just buy normal chicken and then fry it? o.0
    Last edited by Purlina; 2012-03-06 at 07:43 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Purlina View Post
    Wait what is considered junk food?

Fruit drinks? (They are mostly just sugar)
    Soda?
    Cool-aid?
    Cookies? (What if it's sugur free cookies?)
    Lunchables?
    TV dinners?
    Fried chicken?

What if they just buy normal chicken and then fry it? o.0
    To answer you simply I refer to my paleo flow chart, if it says 'it's paleo' then yes it is healthy food and you should eat it.

10+ Year Old Account
    That makes me sick.

Might as while have a fat tax if you want to single out what is considered "Junk Food"
    “I’m tired of being crushed under the weight of greedy men who believe in nothing.” - Jax Teller

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Maleficus View Post
    Clearly the state's anti-fraud section is working hard over there, sigh.
    Some people just have no sense of self-respect.