Poll: Do you think people should be able to buy junk food with food stamps?

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Even if his anecdote is accurate, that's not the idea to short term welfare. We don't want people selling off all their belongings when they lose their job just to have to build back up.
    It means a lot if you look under the anecdote. If the bitch is in a risky financial environment, aka losing your job or otherwise, It'd be wise financially to sell that car so you have more of a buffer to fall back on. I mean, it's not like owning that Jag is a life or death situation

Quote Originally Posted by golds View Post
    So when I was filling up at the gas station today, a lady in front of me, who pulled up in her jaguar, used her food stamps to buy doritos, soda, candy and some slim jims.
    I can't take blatantly false scenarios like this seriously. You can't use EBT on gas station items. And a jaguar? Lol!

So your answer is to take money from people who work hard for a living and give it to people who don't contribute to society at all? If someone doesn't have a job and we provide them with money to eat and live (HUD housing) then what incentive do they have to be creative and actually carve out a niche for themselves?
    Ever been on assistance? It fucking sucks. That and if you don't provide them with food to eat how do they survive to "carve out a niche"?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Khaza-R View Post
    Actually an easy way to do this would be for supermarkets to tag each UPC as Ebt/Foodstamp eligible or ineligible. Once the person goes to pay with ebt, the computer would knock off all the eligible items and make them pay the difference for anything ineligible.
    this may work to a degree and only as long as the shop keeper is legit and keeping things above board. However say a loaf of bread + Bottle of milk costs the same as a bottle of beer. what is to stop a store owner scanning in the bread and milk and letting the customer have the beer ?

Quote Originally Posted by Siggma View Post
    this may work to a degree and only as long as the shop keeper is legit and keeping things above board. However say a loaf of bread + Bottle of milk costs the same as a bottle of beer. what is to stop a store owner scanning in the bread and milk and letting the customer have the beer ?
    First, good luck finding beer that's as cheap as a loaf of bread or a gallon of milk. Second, what incentive does the shop owner have for letting them pay for beer as ebt?

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by matnisi View Post
    I find it funny how so many people are convinced that everyone who is poor is either addicted to narcotics or completely retarded. Most of these people don't need assistance because of any fault of their own, If you know anything about the world you should know that sometimes life just fucks you over and it can happen to a competent person as well as an irresponsible parasitic one. Anyway, let them buy their junk food, you can probably fit in more calories/dollar that way too lol..., there are worse problems in this world than poor people buying beef jerky
    Blame the French and British circa 1680's, prior to that it was deemed alright, Jesus was a beggar after all.

Fucking social norms.

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Ever been on assistance? It fucking sucks. That and if you don't provide them with food to eat how do they survive to "carve out a niche"?
    What sucks about $400-500 free for food each month, and $1100 for rent? Unless I'm missing something.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by moguri View Post
    This is America not Europe and capitalism works here for a reason. If they can't find work then we need to let them figure something out, not give out free handouts. If they're well-fed they won't be as inclined to go out and get a job... they need the literal hunger as much as the figurative.
    Wow. Just. So no safety net is your idea of a perfect world?

Kapitalism does not work in th Us quite obviously, not only is wallstreet the reason for totally three global ressesions, but last i checked a B on the credit rating's no good. Debts larger then any other country spends in a year.

I belive in the idea that people on welfare do as they Damn well please, you give them a chance, they throw iof away, then that's their own fault.

Superficially you would think "no" to this question. But realistically speaking, so much food available--and often the cheaper food--IS junk food, or at least less-healthy food. Fresh/healthier foods are often costly.

There also seems to be an agenda beyond just providing food. Issues like developing budgeting skills or maintaining dignity. It may sound trite or even ridiculous to some people, but others have argued the importance of these sorts of things.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by moguri View Post
    This is like a liberal's paradise huh? Instead of a police state we should just do away with the program altogether so people can't abuse it. You'd really rather have a nazi-like state where the government is randomly "checking in" on people, rather than just do away with food stamps altogether? Liberals never cease to amaze me.
    Clearly you've never spent a single day wondering about where your next meal would come from. Your thought process of just doing away with the system would kill probably hundreds of thousands if not millions of people. It's not so simple as just remove the program. What about the elderly who can't work and barely get enough from Social Security to cover their bills? You just want them to die of starvation? What about the people who are unemployed with children who can't find work and are indeed trying? Have you tried to find a job recently? I'm betting not because you'd know that it's damn near impossible if you don't have exactly the qualifications that a company is looking for. It used to be anyone could just run to town and grab a fast food job, but not anymore. There's way more to it than you are aware of and using your logic, let's just commit mass genocide and be done with it.
    "I am the hope of the universe. I am the answer to all living things that cry out for peace. I am the protector of the innocent. I am the light in the darkness. I am truth. Ally to good! Nightmare to you!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Awfulx View Post
    Meh that's not a big deal to me. I think people on welfare and Food Stamps should however have to take monthly drug tests. They're using our tax dollars to eat, and their own money to buy their next hit.
    Florida did this and it cost the state about half a million dollars, because less than 5% of people were actually failing the drug tests. This stereotype is idiotic and has been proven wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarryn View Post
    I can't take blatantly false scenarios like this seriously. You can't use EBT on gas station items. And a jaguar? Lol!
    Yes you absolutely can use food stamps at gas stations. Maybe not in your area but where I am nearly 1/2 of the stores accept them.
    "I am the hope of the universe. I am the answer to all living things that cry out for peace. I am the protector of the innocent. I am the light in the darkness. I am truth. Ally to good! Nightmare to you!!!"

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ptwonline View Post
    Superficially you would think "no" to this question. But realistically speaking, so much food available--and often the cheaper food--IS junk food, or at least less-healthy food. Fresh/healthier foods are often costly.

There also seems to be an agenda beyond just providing food. Issues like developing budgeting skills or maintaining dignity. It may sound trite or even ridiculous to some people, but others have argued the importance of these sorts of things.
    There are bigger problems, like the mom's in California making six figures, on welfare, or people move to Mississippi solely to get on welfare, because they have the most lenient laws on it.

Working at McDonalds, makes you "earn to much money" to go on welfare, so there is no incentive to work, so they don't.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Khaza-R View Post
    First, good luck finding beer that's as cheap as a loaf of bread or a gallon of milk. Second, what incentive does the shop owner have for letting them pay for beer as ebt?
    obviously I am using them as an example

as for benifits for the shop, it could be as simple as taking a few cents on each transaction, $3.50 worth of food, drink whatever gets charged as $4.00 might not sound like a lot, but if you think about a lot of sales it would add up to a lot of money.

what I am saying is that no system is perfectly safe when there is the human element in it, we will find away to bend the system. a possible solution would be to have food parcels with an allotment of food for the week / month either delivered to the home, or picked up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Food stamps should only be usable on necessities.

You'd be surprised how many people I hear and have seen buy shoes with food-stamps.
    There are no bathrooms, only Zuul.

You can't buy shoes with foodstamps.

Quote Originally Posted by Maruii View Post
    for the love of god, people should be able to decide whatever they want.

Dictating what people should eat, breath and drink is just crazy!

If people eat crap its there own fault they turn to crap.

But infringing peoples rights is something we should NEVER accept.
    If people are paying taxes and its wasted on people using EBT on chips and candy bars id be kinda infuriated. The point is to help people survive when they cannot do it themselves, or until they are able to self sustain. If a large portion of the EBT budget is on junk food when it could be more properly used to help you get off using the system, then i feel the people who pay taxes and have their money go into EBT have the right to ask for some restrictions on purchases.

In other words, im not paying taxes for you to get fat, i paying taxes so you arent out on the street eating trash, use the damn money wisely and get out of the system as soon as humanly possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by ccsabathia View Post
    heat ≠ light
    it...i....what?

"They was WATERING them. They was trying to GROW WHEELBARROWS."

10+ Year Old Account
    No. If people are that desperate to be able to afford food they should buy "food". It should be for necessities, not random I want a snack garbage.

Quote Originally Posted by ImpTaimer View Post
    Food stamps should only be usable on necessities.

You'd be surprised how many people I hear and have seen buy shoes with food-stamps.
    I'd say shoes are a necessity of life, when every business has signs that say NO SHOES NO SERVICE