Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Rift .Good game !

Hey all,

I started to play Rift for free and it really hooked me up.
    Never thought that Rift was that good.
    Anyone got the same feeling?

Quote Originally Posted by Waanzin View Post
    For about a year now

15+ Year Old Account
    I started playing again last month, am 50 already and loving every bit off it. 45-50 went really fast thanks to instant adventures and exp pots ^^

Deleted
    I just started playing Rift Trial too wasting time before GW2 (better than idling in Orgrimmar) and I must say I am getting hooked.

Only thing is, I am totally confused with Mage spec's right now

Quote Originally Posted by realisingself View Post
    If you need any advice just tell me your level and what you want to do (solo, dungeons, heal, etc) and I'll tell you some good specs

10+ Year Old Account
    Thought about try F2P Rift, what are the restrictions? Can you play the game without spending money or is it like some other games where alot of features/instances are locked untill you pay up?

Quote Originally Posted by Decra View Post
    Thought about try F2P Rift, what are the restrictions? Can you play the game without spending money or is it like some other games where alot of features/instances are locked untill you pay up?
    No, it's like WoW's trial, while there are some restrictions once you pay for the game that's it, there is no cash shop with this game if that is what you are asking.

I have an account from beginning and leveled a dude to 45 then stopped like 1 month after release...is it possible to hop on that account and make a new toon lvl 1-20?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarien View Post
    If you need any advice just tell me your level and what you want to do (solo, dungeons, heal, etc) and I'll tell you some good specs
    Thanks

Right now I using the pre-made Stormcaller spec. Not too interested in aoe type of specs or warlock pet specs. I am going to dungeons but centrally I will be solo questing and joining in rifts etc. Straight DPS is what I am after I guess. Right now I am level 20, but any advice on what to aim for will be appreciated.

Thanks

Right now I using the pre-made Stormcaller spec. Not too interested in aoe type of specs or warlock pet specs. I am going to dungeons but centrally I will be solo questing and joining in rifts etc. Straight DPS is what I am after I guess. Right now I am level 20, but any advice on what to aim for will be appreciated.
    Solo Build
    As much as I don't like pet specs either, this is the best solo build. Use your Skeletal Stalwart to tank things, your rotation is something like Necrosis, Dark Touch, Life Leech, plague bolt til you need to refresh DoTs. If your pet needs healing, you have more than 50% of your charge bar or you need a finisher, use Soul Purge. Moving forward this is the build you are aiming for. Remember to swap to the Skeletal Knight for tanking once you get him (around 33ish, give or take), or in dungeons use the Skeletal Rogue pet for higher DPS.

Single Target
    This is actually one of the hardest hitting endgame builds, or will be once you hit 50. Use Fire Armor, Glyphs of Power and Flaring Intellect buffs, rotation is Flame Bolt, Searing Vitality, Countdown, Fireball spam until below 30%, Inferno sub 30%. If you're chain pulling mobs, get 5 stacks of Pillaging Stone, and refresh it once every 5mins. You are aiming for this build. Once you get Pyromancers Armor substitute it for Fire Armor, and cast Cinderburst whenever you get the proc that allows you to instant cast. Then at endgame once you have 1500+ Spellpower unbuffed, switch back.

AoE
    Build isn't terribly good until it jumps in power around 31, then it jumps again at 50. Best used when you have a tank or you will pull too much. Basically spam Forked Lightning until your target has three stacks of Electrified Debuff, then spam Lightning Field until there's only a couple of seconds left on your Electrified debuff, refresh it with Forked Lightning. Once you get Hailstorm (L26) open with that, and once you get Lightning Storm (L31) that is your second spell to AoE groups.

Note that this build substantially changes once you get the talent Charged Field. At that point you will need to refresh Electrified debuffs with Forked Lightning after each Lightning Field, because your Lightning Field consumes Electrified stacks to do more damage. This is a huge DPS gain, so make sure you adapt.

This spec at 50 is my go to dungeon spec, because in addition to eating trash packs for breakfast it also has decent single target DPS. So once you are 50 you should have this build, your AoE rotation is Hailstorm, Lightning Storm (or 3x Forked Lightning if it's on CD), Lightning Field, refresh Electrified to x3 stacks with Forked Lightning, Lightning field, etc. Think of Lightning Field as detonating your stacks of Electrified. This rotation is good for whenever there are 2+ enemies.

At 50, your single target should be Forked Lightning x3, Ice Shear, Icicle, spam Cloud Burst until 3s left on Electrified stacks and refresh with FL, Ice Shear, CB spam, repeat.

Healing
    There should really be two builds, one with and one without Synthesis, but for brevity I'll give you the one with Synthesis as it's the main healer build. Synthesis goes on your tank, and automatically casts Lifebound Veil (LBV). If you were support healing, you would use Lifegiving Veil (LGV). Synth+LBV does a lot of healing to the tank, and some to the group. LGV does a lot of healing to the group, but the tank get's what everyone else gets which may not be enough considering he takes much more damage.

Mages heal through dealing damage. At this level you want to open with Radiant Spores (causes no aggro, cast before pull if you want to), Ruin, then spam Vile Spores, preferably target swapping to maximise the DoT damage and therefore healing done. Use Flourish for a group AoE direct heal, and Bloom for spike damage heals. Your heals have long CD's and it may seem like you don't have the tools to keep up at times. Believe me it's an adjustment after healing through direct heal spells, just keep spamming damage spells, keep up Radiant Spores, use your Entropic Veil whenever you have 80%+ charge, and you will be fine. It's actually very fun.

Moving forward aim for this build. At 50 you can substitute Ruin and Vile Spores with Void Life. You will also gain two new spells, one is called Wild Growth, it is an AoE heal over time that also snares enemies (not bosses though) and increases their damage taken by 10%, good for all sorts of situations. The other is called Natural Splendour, it's a good spell to use when your tank has picked up a ton of mobs and you have a full charge bar. Lot's of damage, lot's of heals.

These are very brief guides, but more than enough to get you going. In time you will come to understand the intricacies of the builds

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Julian View Post
    I have an account from beginning and leveled a dude to 45 then stopped like 1 month after release...is it possible to hop on that account and make a new toon lvl 1-20?
    Yes
    Last edited by Tarien; 2012-03-06 at 11:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Julian View Post
    Yes I am basically doing the same, but my old toon never got above 13. So you can use your old acct to do free to play.

I am also really liking the game, I picked up a mage and am doing the guardian quests. They really streamlined the UI from launch, now you have a guide to your talents (always confusing), a place for your quest items, bunch of other minor things that I dont recall being there at launch (althought I may have just forgot). This game screams polish to me. Plus with the addons we can have dps meters and so forth. I started a pyromancer build with a elemental pet, it's pretty fun, somewhat like a hunter in wow (which i love), but I wanted a spellcaster and not the rogue.
    Last edited by gibbie99; 2012-03-06 at 11:55 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    at Tarien

Thanks downloading it now.

15+ Year Old Account
    If anyone plans on leveling a Cleric, I'd suggest the duracell build, know a good site listing spec + macros for every 5 levels, it really is a good leveling and soloing spec. Not so fantastic for raiding, but seeing you can have 6 specs in Rift, I don't think thats a problem :P

Deleted
    ~SNIP~
    Holy Cr*p, Thanks for the post. I'll go over it tonight after work. Kudos to you

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Waanzin View Post
    Hey all,

I started to play Rift for free and it really hooked me up.
    I've had it since around november. Also used it as something that's "not wow and to play while waiting for gw2". And I'm hooked and love this game, and now I feel sad because I might not have time to play it when gw2 release =/ The GW2 getting delayed and it's a long wait feels more than managable now, it's more like: take your time, and give us lagfree worldpvp, no rush
    hehe

---------- Post added 2012-03-07 at 01:32 AM ----------

I just started playing Rift Trial too wasting time before GW2 (better than idling in Orgrimmar) and I must say I am getting hooked.

In pvp domi/chloro and domi/fire are absolutely sweet! Domi/fire bit more faceroll though, but they are both amazing soul combos =)

Yeah i really want to try it out. How big is the download?

Quote Originally Posted by Hyperflow View Post
    Yeah i really want to try it out. How big is the download?
    10.1GB I'm afraid.

10.1GB I'm afraid.
    Sweet. Its taken 1hr20mins to download. Is this the whole client? So if i decide to upgrade im already to go?

Yes you should be set if you upgrade, shouldnt have to do any downloads

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyperflow View Post
    Sweet. Its taken 1hr20mins to download. Is this the whole client? So if i decide to upgrade im already to go?
    I activated my CD Key on my account last night and it did download about 1mb of something on the launcher. Other than that, nothing.

@Tarien, Thanks for your post. I decided to go for the Single Target build for the moment and enjoying it far more than the suggested spec for mages they use.