Thread: Kony 2012

Page 33 of 34 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by SourceOfInfection View Post
    Laugh out loud at all who donate money without researching anything themselves. Serves you right.
    Yup

I wonder how much money they made off of all the people.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzzie View Post
    I'm not a huge supporter of this kind of shit. I'm probably one of the most cynical people on this forum.

That being said.. Kony 2012 might be shit.. but the suffering and dehumanization in Africa is a real issue. I hope that if Kony 2012 did anything it was to raise a little awareness to the constant slaughter that persists there in spite of many 1st world charities efforts. Endeavour to push your effort and support to the right places.
    Unfortunately external intervention very rarely helps as we've seen with vietnam and the middle east.

They aren't doing very much to help themselves either, how many revolutions were there in 2011? Egypt managed to get their shit together and overthrow their dictator and so did libya yet we've heard nothing of Zimbabwe uniting against their oppressor.

If an entire population dislikes a regime they CAN beat it, the french revolution comes to mind.

I also think we should solve our own problems before we even attempt to help someone else, there are in fact poor homeless people right here in Canada who get very cold at night.

Our internet monopoly could be taken care of too or help make our healthcare system not so inefficient. If I was to go to the hospital right now after stabbing myself with a rusty nail I could be waiting for up to 6 hours in the emergency room.

It may be heartless but..

This is why you shouldn't give a fuck about stuff like this.

Who honestly believes starvation and poverty in africa and the likes will die in the next 10 years ? If you do, then i'd like to see your logic. It's really disheartening and kind of silly to think that those people raising 1-10 million dollars for charities then we see the figures of what is actually done by it which is: 2-3 wells built, a school built and about 2 weeks worth of food delivered. Sorry but, why even try? Why ask the PUBLIC for money? Why not ask huge corperations to shed billions into it? Why not ask the governments to send people over to build shit for them?

Do you really believe your £2 a month is going to help someone in Africa or whatever for more than a day? Have you ever considered why these problems are even here in the first place? It's because their government takes everything from them and gives nothing back. These "children" have guns. If they wanted to get out of the situation, they have the tools to do so. Your shitty poster blocking the window outside my local chip shop won't do shit for these guys.

TL;DR: If you want to help charity, convince them to overthrow their scumbag leeching government, or don't bother.

Deleted
    I find it funny how you (the critics) can go on about how 'it serves us right' and how donating money to others are worth more than a donation to IC.You remember Charitynavigator right? Those who gave 2 out of 4, or was it 5 stars at the beginning, I'm sure you remember.

"We give the charity 4 out of a possible 4 stars for its Financial Health. It spends upwards of 80% of its budget on its programs and services. As such, Invisible Children is actually outperforming most charities in our database in terms of how it allocations its expenses."
    http://www.charitynavigator.org/inde...view&cpid=1359

I see so many critics just jumping on exactly that bandwagon, feeding off a few bloggers and some rumors and in an instant just sprout all their BS around the internet, talking about how people should learn to do research and yada yada the show goes on. Ignorance is a bliss.

Now I do have one question for you all: Where is the proof of Kony's DEATH? This question haunts me, because I've replied to near over twenty angry critics on various sites, who claims that he's dead (while calling the supporters a lot of stuff in the process, too), but every time none would reply - and no, some random YouTube blogger doesn't count as a trustworthy source.

Being inactive one country -/- Actually being dead.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Roos View Post
    I find it funny how you (the critics) can go on about how 'it serves us right' and how donating money to others are worth more than a donation to IC.You remember Charitynavigator right? Those who gave 2 out of 4, or was it 5 stars at the beginning, I'm sure you remember.

"We give the charity 4 out of a possible 4 stars for its Financial Health. It spends upwards of 80% of its budget on its programs and services. As such, Invisible Children is actually outperforming most charities in our database in terms of how it allocations its expenses."
    http://www.charitynavigator.org/inde...view&cpid=1359

I see so many critics just jumping on exactly that bandwagon, feeding off a few bloggers and some rumors and in an instant just sprout all their BS around the internet, talking about how people should learn to do research and yada yada the show goes on. Ignorance is a bliss.

Now I do have one question for you all: Where is the proof of Kony's DEATH? This question haunts me, because I've replied to near over twenty angry critics on various sites, who claims that he's dead (while calling the supporters a lot of stuff in the process, too), but every time none would reply - and no, some random YouTube blogger doesn't count as a trustworthy source.

Being inactive one country -/- Actually being dead.
    If 80% of the money goes to the cause they support then that money is going toward arming the Ugandan army from what I've heard, and they're also screwed up murdering rapists. There is much more wrong with the charity than you've mentioned in your post.
    It's always been Wankershim!
    My Brand!

10+ Year Old Account
    Lol at everyone who bought into this. I'm going to go off jerking it in San Diego!
    Time is the greatest teacher, but unfortunately, it ends up killing all of its students.

This movement is just silly. These guys don't even begin to understand the complexities of this situation, not to mention the guy who started it is now the object of controversy as well. I dont need some kid fresh out of school to shed an illuminating light for me about the sad truths of the world. Pumping money into this effort is probably going to be mismanaged as it is going to an unaccredited charity. If you want to help eliviate pain and suffering in the world donate to your local church, Red Cross, etc... The Kony movement is to placate some very naive kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Theodon View Post
    If 80% of the money goes to the cause they support then that money is going toward arming the Ugandan army from what I've heard, and they're also screwed up murdering rapists. There is much more wrong with the charity than you've mentioned in your post.
    Actually, most of their money is going towards building schools and alert systems. The whole point behind the invisible children was to build schools in these areas. The video is very misleading towards what their real goal was.
    They wanted to shine a light on Kony, because it's a real possibility if he is still alive that he could come back to Uganda and start his attacks again.
    Friends: Will help you move.
    Best Friends: Will help you move the Bodies

Quote Originally Posted by DuckieMage View Post
    Actually, most of their money is going towards building schools and alert systems. The whole point behind the invisible children was to build schools in these areas. The video is very misleading towards what their real goal was.
    They wanted to shine a light on Kony, because it's a real possibility if he is still alive that he could come back to Uganda and start his attacks again.
    They aren't a charity they are an advocacy group. Most of their money DOESN'T go to building schools. In fact they don't even need alert systems because Kony and friends aren't even in Uganda. People in Uganda want nothing to do with Invisible Children.

People got scammed. Congrats, next time do research before you open your wallet.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodon View Post
    That's the problem. 'from what I've heard' is too common on both sides when people are debating (or trying to, eh).

"None of the money donated through Invisible Children has ever gone to support the government of Uganda or any other government." so I beg to differ.
    http://s3.amazonaws.com/www.invisibl...critiques.html

Sure you've got Russell running around the streets in his own meltdown, but I can distinguish the difference between a single persons actions and a charity organisation.

It's not like all the other charity organizations are saints themselves. Every once in a while you hear about scandals from their management (mostly because of money who can't be found) or something like that. The way I see it, people can chose which organisation (if any) they want to support and then trust in that they're doing the right thing with your money (whichever cause you're now supporting). Sure, it's naive. But it's better than doing nothing.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's the problem. 'from what I've heard' is too common on both sides when people are debating (or trying to, eh).

"None of the money donated through Invisible Children has ever gone to support the government of Uganda or any other government." so I beg to differ.
    http://s3.amazonaws.com/www.invisibl...critiques.html

Sure you've got Russell running around the streets in his own meltdown, but I can distinguish the difference between a single persons actions and a charity organisation.

It's not like all the other charity organizations are saints themselves. Every once in a while you hear about scandals from their management (mostly because of money who can't be found) or something like that. The way I see it, people can chose which organisation (if any) they want to support and then trust in that they're doing the right thing with your money (whichever cause you're now supporting). Sure, it's naive. But it's better than doing nothing.
    Well there are facts you can pull up about the current state of Uganda;

The current guy in charge used child soldiers to massacre his way to power. The LRA they are trying to fight is no longer the cause of the problems in Uganda, the cause is the current person in charge. It shows that throwing cash to solve the problem of one messed up dictator ruining peoples lives isn't the answer, as another comes along and just takes the resources that money went toward developing to overthrow they guy who just got booted out. Nothing changes and doing nothing is just as constructive as "doing something"

Sure there's charities that are worse than what the allegations against Invisible Children make them out to be, but it doesn't mean I should just accept that money I donate will be almost worthless toward actually achieving the goal it was supposed to be going for. There's so many charities out there, and if people want to make the world a better place by giving something then there is other ways they can do that besides clicking a "like" button.

http://exposeugandasgenocide.blogspo...nt-yoweri.html

He's the current president.
    Last edited by Theodon; 2012-04-23 at 02:58 PM.
    My Brand!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Isotope View Post
    People got scammed. Congrats, next time do research before you open your wallet.
    That is interesting you say that, because the International Criminal Court seems to have differing opinions.
    http://www.ndtv.com/article/world/in...in-2012-194916

Luis Moreno-Ocampo said the fact that 100 million people watched the first video about Kony's crimes in just six days showed that "the world today understands that justice has to be done" - and he expressed hope that the world will put a spotlight on other fugitives including Sudan's president and a Congolese army general to help bring them before the court.

"Twenty years ago, no one was talking about justice," he said in an interview with the Associated Press. "Now it's a new thing."

There are now 121 countries that are parties to the ICC, but Moreno-Ocampo said even countries that are not parties, like the United States, Russia, China and India, have supported referrals to the permanent war crimes tribunal - and the US is supporting the collection of evidence for possible future prosecutions of crimes in the Syria conflict.
    Quote Originally Posted by Imadraenei View Post
    You can find that unbiased view somewhere between Atlantis and that unicorn farm down the street, just off Interstate √(-1).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaxi View Post
    That is interesting you say that, because the International Criminal Court seems to have differing opinions.
    The ICC issued his arrest warrent in 2007, but you think this is what's going to change something?

Also the scam isn't that people know about him more than they did 6 months ago, it's that only around 31% of the money they raised in 2011 went towards the causes, the rest goes on slick videos with a religious agenda.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxi View Post

I read this a just shook my head. Please try to understand what a scam in this context. Then feel free to edit your post to reflect that. As it stands now you look really silly.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mooboy View Post
    The ICC issued his arrest warrent in 2007, but you think this is what's going to change something?

Also the scam isn't that people know about him more than they did 6 months ago, it's that only around 31% of the money they raised in 2011 went towards the causes, the rest goes on slick videos with a religious agenda.
    No, 80%+ of the money is going towards their programs, which is how they do their cause; by their 3 steps, like thye've said on their website, on their 'dear critiques'-site and video.

10+ Year Old Account
    I find it funny how my school jumped on the Kony bandwagon months after it crashed and burned. There's Kony posters EVERYWHERE!

Deleted
    No, 80%+ of the money is going towards their programs, which is how they do their cause; by their 3 steps, like thye've said on their website, on their 'dear critiques'-site and video.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpuB11d0Gog

2:55

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mooboy View Post
    That video just opens up even more questions. How on earth do people defend Invisible Children STILL?!
    My Brand!