Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Unhappy Something that bothers me about In-Game RP

When i play WoW, when i read people profiles (AKA TRP2 profile), i see their race as something like, "Sin'Dorei(?)" That (?) is NOT helpful at all to them. It's not like the other person can see that IC, and that means you could (and ARE) something else, like a demon. Which is mostly the case! I get if in RP you don't want people to know, but in your profile you can put anything about your character. That's like if you put on your Medical Information, under allegergies, put "Pollen, maybe.", or, for an in-game example, if you put under Strengths/Weaknesses, you say, "He MIGHT be an arachnaphobiac" or "He MIGHT be weak." That isn't helpful to anyone. Also, when you finally get to the point where they find out who you really are, it's either a stereotypical demon or something else that is a terrible idea. Also, it can be helpful to you if you show what your race is, and put what you are disguised as in your description, because then people can tell you if the race isn't a good race to RP as, or it could be edited, or something like that. Just show your race. It will help everyone in the RP.
    Last edited by The Devious Chicken; 2012-05-18 at 12:38 PM.
    | Main RP Character:
    Nidal Shadowdance |
    | While Forum RP'ing:
    Italics = What he's doing currently.
    Non-italics with Quotes = Talking
    Non-Italics without Quotes = Thinking |

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    I believe in full disclosure. Just because my character might be hiding the fact that she's a dragon from your character doesn't mean I need to hide that from you. But some people would prefer if it were hidden IC and OOC.

There are many things that bother me about ingame RP.. that is one of them.

I use MRP and the biggest /facepalm's I encounter are just blatantly BAD lore. I get it, it's a game, but damnit... YOU ARE NOT THE ILLEGITIMATE DAUGHTER OF JAINA AND THRALL!

That and your breast size. Awesome, they're big because you're only five feet tall. But how the hell do I know they're precisely 32DD!?

Indeed, that made perfect sense, knowing that you do not even have proper grammar. Brilliant. Also, may I quote? ""Sometimes it can make sense, i can't really think of a good example atm, but i(lol) it'll come to me.""
    You are trying to raise a what, might I ask, precisely, when A) you can't spell, and B) You can't even provide a decent (or ANY, for that matter) example?
    And either way, I, personally, have yet to see an RP character's profile that has had something that causes others to be unsure of their race. Ever.
    Granted, I have only been on these forums for, what, like a month? Possibly less . . . anyway, I have never, ever, seen that.
    Regarding your ending, where some races aren't as good in RP as others . . . total bullshit, mate. Any race is good in RP. Know why?
    As long as it's within the confinements of the lore, then it's just that; lore races, and, therefore, perfect and good for RP.
    On that note, I'm going to go eat something.
    -Mexyragos
    Pyromaniac protégé.

Yes OP, there are a lot of bad RPers out there. I'm personally not at all fond of people playing dragons or demons etc, and imo you should stick to the actual races you can play. But not everyone agrees with that obviously. But know that not all RP is demons and half elves and dragons and what have you.

What you just said essentially takes away any variety. If you aren't fond of RPers that play dragons or demons, don't RP with them.
    Pyromaniac protégé.

10+ Year Old Account
    I base who I RP with around the MRP/TRP. Not what's in it, per se, but the way its written. If it's well written and interesting, I have reason to believe the person is both even-handed with their RP expectations, as well as actually interesting.

Strange as it sounds, people usually come to me to RP after reading mine. I rarely seek people out.

one of the tenets of RP is that character knowledge =/= player knowledge. people that violate that are just bad at rp imo. but then ive only done rp in paper games, not wow

Quote Originally Posted by Florena View Post
    Yes OP, there are a lot of bad RPers out there. I'm personally not at all fond of people playing dragons or demons etc, and imo you should stick to the actual races you can play. But not everyone agrees with that obviously. But know that not all RP is demons and half elves and dragons and what have you.
    A somewhat understandable point of view. When WOTLK came along for example, the reputation of Death Knights was immediately ruined in RP for the best part of that expansion; level 58 DK's running around Silvermoon, yelling, supposedly killing people and generally being just plain bad. It's only been after WOTLK, or very late into it at least, that those with a genuine appreciation for the class have begun to pick up the pieces and tried to their class some justice. Demons/Half-Elves/Dragons and so on are the same; bad RP'ers trying to be special snowflakes, and given their race of choice (Dragon/Demon etc) a bad name in RP as a consequence. I personally try to give the benefit of the doubt in RP; I met someone once who RP'd as a dragon in an elven disguise and did a damn good/realistic job of it.

Quote Originally Posted by xMexyragosX View Post
    What you just said essentially takes away any variety. If you aren't fond of RPers that play dragons or demons, don't RP with them.
    You can have variety and interesting characters without having dragons and demons thrown into the mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Florena View Post
    You can have variety and interesting characters without having dragons and demons thrown into the mix.
    One good reason why people can't/shouldn't play dragons and/or demons? An actual reason, please, mate, other than some stupid and totally-predictable excuse.
    Pyromaniac protégé.

One good reason why people can't/shouldn't play dragons and/or demons? An actual reason, please, mate, other than some stupid and totally-predictable excuse.
    Because demons, presumably aside from eredar and possibly nathrezim, cannot disguise themselves as mortals. It's a bit of a cliche, and because there are certain in-game limits, such as the inability to transform into a dreadlord or eredar, I don't think it's very much viable for a roleplayer. Dragons are in a similar boat; there's only one item that transforms you into a dragon, and it's a legendary. Plus, the issue with both is that you don't just go around and say "I'm a dragon!" or "I'm a demon, fear me!". You're incognito. For all intents and purposes, unless you find a group of fellow demons / dragons, you're just another mortal, in game.

The reason why people say that roleplayers shouldn't portray demons and dragons is because the majority of those who do so do it badly. For the most part, people have their characters be dragons and demons because it's cool. They add what they think would be awesome to their characters, instead of working to make the character interesting via some other way. A demon and a warlock who both serve the Burning Legion both have the same outcome, but one's a bit more outlandish for an in-game character. I don't have a thing against characters being any lore race within Warcraft, but it has to make sense, it has to be portrayed realistically for the roleplaying medium, and it has to be done right.

And there is an actual reason why people shouldn't. Again, though, it's select people.
    Pyromaniac protégé.

I've already made this point. What is the point of roleplaying something when nobody else will know you are one and when you cannot accurately portray it within the medium you have chosen? No demon or dragon in his or her right mind would confess of being what they are, and save from the legendary staff, you cannot look like a demon or dragon.

You're confusing me. I didn't know we were actually playing WoW. Last I checked, this was an RP forum, where people can make characters and role-play...
    And, I know how to portray dragons in RP. Maybe not demons, but, then again, I've never been overly fond of them. Dragons, however, I love, and can play rather well, if I do say so myself. Of course they wouldn't confess to being a dragon during an RP, but I don't hide that in my character's Bio (see http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...-Mexyragos-Bio) if you don't believe me. In an RP, no, my dragon won't confess to being one, but it's not hard to find other ways to let others know what you are without actually confessing to their characters. Which is the point I'm trying to make.
    Pyromaniac protégé.

Deleted
    What is the point in coming on here and trying to start arguments, you don't have to agree with OP's opinion, but atleast have the decency to respect it. Also a reason people shouldn't RP as demons or dragons is because they can't actually portray themselves as either very well and they will probably act as if they a therefore all powerful.

You're confusing me. I didn't know we were actually playing WoW. Last I checked, this was an RP forum, where people can make characters and role-play...
    And, I know how to portray dragons in RP. Maybe not demons, but, then again, I've never been overly fond of them. Dragons, however, I love, and can play rather well, if I do say so myself. Of course they wouldn't confess to being a dragon during an RP, but I don't hide that in my character's Bio (see http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...-Mexyragos-Bio) if you don't believe me. In an RP, no, my dragon won't confess to being one, but it's not hard to find other ways to let others know what you are without actually confessing to their characters. Which is the point I'm trying to make.
    It's a thread about in-game RP. Things are different here on the forums, and I know that. Hell I've got two dragons of my own. But the thread's about in-game roleplaying and that's the place I'm arguing from.

Deleted
    Indeed, that made perfect sense, knowing that you do not even have proper grammar. Brilliant. Also, may I quote? ""Sometimes it can make sense, i can't really think of a good example atm, but i(lol) it'll come to me.""
    You are trying to raise a what, might I ask, precisely, when A) you can't spell, and B) You can't even provide a decent (or ANY, for that matter) example?
    And either way, I, personally, have yet to see an RP character's profile that has had something that causes others to be unsure of their race. Ever.
    Granted, I have only been on these forums for, what, like a month? Possibly less . . . anyway, I have never, ever, seen that.
    Regarding your ending, where some races aren't as good in RP as others . . . total bullshit, mate. Any race is good in RP. Know why?
    As long as it's within the confinements of the lore, then it's just that; lore races, and, therefore, perfect and good for RP.
    On that note, I'm going to go eat something.
    -Mexyragos

This, this is what gives RP'ers the world over, on every platform a bad name. "Ha you can't spell therfore all your ideas are dumb and nobody should be friends with you HA!". I'm not going to prattle on about dyslexia, or the state of teaching in various countries, or the fact that English isnt EVERYONES mother tongue, but come on, do yourself a favour, just cos the OP hasn't run his post through a spell check doesnt mean the point he raises about bad RP is not valid. sheesh

Excuse me, mate, I didn't say any of his ideas were dumb. I simply corrected his spelling mistakes.
    And, indeed, Madgod, I, too, have a dragon.
    Also, I'm not trying to start an argument, though you people do enjoy making it that. I'm simply curious as to what point this guy's trying to make.
    And, any demon or dragon in his/her right mind would do whatever they want. Fyi. That's what makes it role-playing... your character can technically (within confinements, of course) do whatever you wish them to, can they not?
    Pyromaniac protégé.

Yeah, you can make them do whatever, but that doesn't mean it's good roleplaying. A demon could do whatever, but if he or she revealed themselves to be such, then they would be hunted down and would lose all of their allies that they had carefully collected. Dragon's don't tell people that they're dragons when they are in mortal form. They watch and observe, carefully tweaking events to suit their ends. Revealing themselves to be dragons is just so out of character for that race. Either way, it's bad roleplaying.

And arguments are good. They're intellectually stimulating, and it's as good a way as any to make a point and to learn or teach.