Page 1 of 2
LastLast

New HD monitor.. something must be wrong?

Hey guys. I just hooked up my new 23" LCD monitor for my computer and it seems as though the picture seems 'grainy' ? (not too sure if thats what i should be calling it)
    The screen i got is here:*http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824236117

When i load up games it seems fine but when i am surfing the web or looking at my background its noticeably grainy (It looks like theres either dust or something on the screen.. it doesnt look sharp. That is how i can describe it)*
    This may be a key thing but i am also using a DVI cable to connect the monitor. My Graphics card is up to date on drivers and when i go into my actual screen settings [using the menu buttons on the screen] i cannot change the sharpness level. I was thinking of using an HDMI cable but the video card i have only has a mini hdmi cable (i have a GTX 560).
    Would a hdmi to mini-hdmi cable give me a much sharper image? Obviously i really don't know much*regarding*monitors and i am quickly writing this after just getting it today and seeing this problem.

Any help would be great.

It shouldn't make any difference whatsoever, but that depends on whether your monitor handles the two signals differently.

Can you take a photo of an area of the screen that exhibits this grainy effect?
    5800X | XFX 7900XTX | Prime X570 Pro | 32GB | 990Pro + SN850 2TB | Define 7

Quote Originally Posted by FlawlessSoul View Post
    It shouldn't make any difference whatsoever, but that depends on whether your monitor handles the two signals differently.

Can you take a photo of an area of the screen that exhibits this grainy effect?
    yes i will, give me a moment*

http://i625.photobucket.com/albums/t...looksweird.png

I do not have a camera to actually show you but here is a picture. if you cannot tell anything wrong with this then it may be the screen itself. I upgraded from a 19" 4 year old regular monitor and someone in my house told me that it looks fine and that i just need to adjust. However, i have not seen this with any hdmi screen before
    Last edited by Nephilus; 2012-03-07 at 12:28 AM.

Deleted
    Might be the anti-glare coating on the screen.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomdarkness View Post
    Might be the anti-glare coating on the screen.
    can you see anything wrong in that picture? it does seem like it has something to do physically with the screen.. do they usually put those on the screens now? Also, my screen is LED backlit if that means anything

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nephilus View Post
    can you see anything wrong in that picture? it does seem like it has something to do physically with the screen.. do they usually put those on the screens now? Also, my screen is LED backlit if that means anything
    I see nothing out of the ordinary on that screenshot.

Deleted
    The image you uploaded appears to have been resized by imageshack. But in any case, it is best you take a picture of the monitoring displaying this grain rather than a screenshot.

I'm not saying it is the AG coating for sure but typically you'll notice it most on white/light colored backgrounds and it may appear like a grain on the screen.

Here is a picture from another monitor showing the AG coating that has been removed:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4003/...dcfbc63069.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Tomdarkness View Post
    The image you uploaded appears to have been resized by imageshack. But in any case, it is best you take a picture of the monitoring displaying this grain rather than a screenshot.

I'm not saying it is the AG coating for sure but typically you'll notice it most on white/light colored backgrounds and it may appear like a grain on the screen.

Here is a picture from another monitor showing the AG coating that has been removed:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4003/...dcfbc63069.jpg
    Yeah i can't take a picture because i don't have a camera. Well yes whenever i am surfing the web/looking at my background [which is a light color] i can see this grain. If i bring up lets say... left 4 dead 2, i can no longer see this grain.*
    Not using and Hdmi cable wouldn't be the problem right?

Yeah i can't take a picture because i don't have a camera. Well yes whenever i am surfing the web/looking at my background [which is a light color] i can see this grain. If i bring up lets say... left 4 dead 2, i can no longer see this grain.*
    Not using and Hdmi cable wouldn't be the problem right?
    Probably not but are you sure you peeled off that plastic film they put on like 99% of screens these days? *Sounds like that could be the problem.

Deleted
    I assume you are running the monitor at it's native resolution on your desktop?

Some of the 720p Video rips I watch look a bit grainy on my 1080p monitor.

Also the newer drivers have an annoying habit of taking control away from the monitor control panel itself. On the newer(last 6 months or so) ATI drivers I find that trying to adjust the brightness barely makes any difference and I have to do it through the Catalyst control centre thingy.

Quote Originally Posted by bobty View Post
    I assume you are running the monitor at it's native resolution on your desktop?

Some of the 720p Video rips I watch look a bit grainy on my 1080p monitor.

Also the newer drivers have an annoying habit of taking control away from the monitor control panel itself. On the newer(last 6 months or so) ATI drivers I find that trying to adjust the brightness barely makes any difference and I have to do it through the Catalyst control centre thingy.
    you would be correct i am running at 1900x1080

and kane i was thinking that as well.. i havent peeled off any plastic from the screen but it doesn't feel like theres any there. there was some on the glossy plastic edges of the screen. However the screen was wrapped in a protective bag too

It very well could be because not running on an HDMI cable. It's a crapshoot. You may have to do some adjustments to get the grainy look out. I had to adjust mine like crazy when I first got it, and at the time I was on the DVI cable. Now Im running on HDMI cable and have no issues at all, even reverting to factory settings.

The Asus 248 I bought had no plastic covering on the screen. It's not a glossy screen either.

Quote Originally Posted by Mass0wnage View Post
    It very well could be because not running on an HDMI cable. It's a crapshoot. You may have to do some adjustments to get the grainy look out. I had to adjust mine like crazy when I first got it, and at the time I was on the DVI cable. Now Im running on HDMI cable and have no issues at all, even reverting to factory settings.

The Asus 248 I bought had no plastic covering on the screen. It's not a glossy screen either.
    yeah the thing is id have to use a hdmi to mini hdmi cable and i am not sure if that will make any difference from a normal hdmi cable or not

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mass0wnage View Post

there is no difference between DVI and HDMI in terms of picture quality, the main difference is that DVI does not carry audio

---------- Post added 2012-03-06 at 06:19 PM ----------

yeah the thing is id have to use a hdmi to mini hdmi cable and i am not sure if that will make any difference from a normal hdmi cable or not
    no, mini is just a physically smaller connector, the leads are the same

Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    there is no difference between DVI and HDMI in terms of picture quality, the main difference is that DVI does not carry audio

---------- Post added 2012-03-06 at 06:19 PM ----------

no, mini is just a physically smaller connector, the leads are the same
    Could it simply be the anti glare coating as stated above? someone in my house says it looks fine but i have to get used to it. Another said they can tell what i mean when i say i see grain.

10+ Year Old Account
    Could it simply be the anti glare coating as stated above? someone in my house says it looks fine but i have to get used to it. Another said they can tell what i mean when i say i see grain.
    i doubt it, your SS seems fine

you mentioned you were running at 1900x1080, is that a mistype? because it should be 1920x1080, a few pixels off in aspect ratio could be the problem

yes that was a mistype :X

10+ Year Old Account
    try taking an SS and use imgur for the host

10+ Year Old Account
    the text is a bit odd, but it could be cleartext issue or something, but otherwise seems fine