Deleted

Arena & Matchmaking Value

Hey guys.
    Newish to arenas and trying to get my head around a few things. (sorry if this has been posted elsewhere before, I couldnt find it)
    Matchmaking rating, as I understand - determines the level of "skill" shall we say team I come up against. You are going to come up against something with round about the same rating as you. When you lose, you lose matchmaking rating, when you win, you gain it, so the teams you face keep getting stronger.

What I don't understand though is that how my friend and I could both make a team, 2 characters which have never even touched arena before, and straight off the bat have a MM rating of 1500, and come up against teams with 1600 etc. Seems a bit excessive.

Also, on our other characters, we come up against teams with higher MM rating than us, and when they win, they gain 96 team rating. But when we beat someone higher than us we gain about 12 team rating - seems a bit strange.

So yeah, wall of text over.
    Thanks to anyone who can clear this up for me :-)

Fresh characters get a base MMR of 1500. 100 rating doesn't make a huge difference till about 2.1k-2.2 which separates duelists and gladiators.

Teams that win 96 rating mean they have a team below 1000 rating, and each win gets them 96 points till 960 Team rating, then it evens out depending what MMR you have. For instance, if I had an MMR of 2k and my team rating was 0, I would get 96 points per win till about 1.3k~ and then 50~ till about 1.8k then 20 then 10. Whats happening with you winning 12 rating is that your team rating is close or at your MMR.

The problem with MMR is that it's a similar system used in Chess. A 1400 chess player should never beat a 1500-1600 chess player, and if the 1500 player loses they lose a lot of MMR. However in WoW losses like this happen a lot more frequently due to RNG etc.

This post explains it better than me*http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...-Making-Rating.
    Last edited by rektbrah; 2012-03-07 at 12:57 AM.
    this game sucks

Deleted
    I see! Thats great dude thanks for clearing that up for me. Very frustrating thinking that we are being screwed over each time haha. Cheers mate :-)