[Shadow] HC Spine, Bottled Wishes - yay or nay?

Hello,

I am the RL of a guild about to start pulling heroic spine, and I have told all our dps (retri paladin, arcane mage, subtlety rogue, SV hunter and SP) to get the VP trinkets for this particular fight. I have played all those classes myself besides SP, so I kinda know the extreme impact these trinkets bring to them, but our SP told me that he isn't sure about the trinket as opposed to heroic Necromantic Focus. He claims he'll probably do more damage on the tendons thanks to the mastery.

I told him every single guide on the internet suggests those trinkets, but he wants to know exactly why. I couldn't provide a valid argument besides "it's a 2290 bonus to your best stat", because I know fuck all about Shadow Priests.

So, if you guys could shed some light into the situation, I'd appreciate it very much.

Ty!

Deleted
    Tell him he has two trinket slots.

He's using Will of Unbinding, should he change that and go with Bottled+Necromantic? I assumed he had to keep Will of Ubinding :s

The pure Int from Will of Unbinding will undoubtedly beat mastery from NF.
    2290 spellpower for almost the entire duration of the tendon +458 secondary stats will also beat NF.
    (also NF stacks will fall off just over half way through tendon if he/she is not weaving mindflays between mindspike and mindblast, but WoU buff will not)
    Int, and slightly behind it Spellpower, are just so much better than any secondary stat.

After getting similar advice myself, and testing it out on dummies and on H Spine, WoU+Bottle, and reforge to Mastery>Crit>Haste (just for this fight) is definitely the way to go.

For DPS this fight is really all about being able to do max DPS for 18 seconds every ~1.5mins
    I'm doing as much tendon damage as arcane mages for this fight with the above setup.
    (really wish WoL would rank this fight by damage done to tendon)

(Edit for clarity)
    TLDR: Bottle+Will of Unbinding -> Fiend+AA+MindSpike/MindBlast
    Last edited by UunaPriest; 2012-03-05 at 09:53 PM.

@OP: your priest should only be questioning which trinket to use with Bottled Wishes. Even if you weigh mastery as 3x as good as spellpower for the tendon burn (it's not, it's more like ~1.5-1.6x as good), Bottled Wishes is STILL better than Necromantic Focus for bursting.

I have the same trio of trinkets and am using Will of Unbinding + Bottled Wishes for Spine. I actually think that Necromantic Focus + Bottled Wishes is slightly higher tendon damage, assuming shadow fiend is up for each plate lift.

However, there's a chance if that shadow fiend will NOT be up for each plate lift if you don't have time to just sit there and solely spam mind flay (to shorten the cool down on shadow fiend). If shadow fiend is not up, then Will of Unbinding + Bottled Wishes is definitely the best for tendon out of those 3 trinkets. Furthermore, Will of Unbinding + Bottled Wishes is better damage than Necromantic Focus + Bottled Wishes for getting amalgamations down.
    Last edited by Evrx; 2012-03-05 at 10:15 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Klive View Post
    He's using Will of Unbinding, should he change that and go with Bottled+Necromantic? I assumed he had to keep Will of Ubinding :s
    Yeah, I forgot that. But I think 880 Intellect isn't that strong for Tendon burn.

Deleted
    If you're lacking on tendon damage sure.
    But really if you're able to kill them without using VP trinkets you'll make the fight easier by having more dps on the amalg.
    NFhc + WoU isn't a bad combo for the fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Klive View Post
    Hello,

I am the RL of a guild about to start pulling heroic spine, and I have told all our dps (retri paladin, arcane mage, subtlety rogue, SV hunter and SP) to get the VP trinkets for this particular fight. I have played all those classes myself besides SP, so I kinda know the extreme impact these trinkets bring to them, but our SP told me that he isn't sure about the trinket as opposed to heroic Necromantic Focus. He claims he'll probably do more damage on the tendons thanks to the mastery.

I told him every single guide on the internet suggests those trinkets, but he wants to know exactly why. I couldn't provide a valid argument besides "it's a 2290 bonus to your best stat", because I know fuck all about Shadow Priests.

So, if you guys could shed some light into the situation, I'd appreciate it very much.

Ty!
    I sent you a PM that has all the info he should need on the fight, the ideal setup is Bottled Wishes + HNF for maximum tendon damage

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by UunaPriest View Post
    NF stacks will fall off just over half way through tendon if he/she is not weaving mindflays between mindspike and mindblast
    This is false, You just need to cast a dot on a blood prior to killing off the amalg and you will maintain stacks through the lift.
    Last edited by Docta; 2012-03-06 at 10:16 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Docta View Post
    I sent you a PM that has all the info he should need on the fight, the ideal setup is Bottled Wishes + HNF for maximum tendon damage
    Oh is it? I've been using bottled wishes and heroic cunning of the cruel now that its guarenteed to proc twice during the burn (and is way better than everything for the rest of the fight) - perhaps I should get HNF out of the bank for e-peen meters on tendon burn meters, our mage was all cocky about being on top most of last week! >: )
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Docta View Post

Edit:

This is false, You just need to cast a dot on a blood prior to killing off the amalg and you will maintain stacks through the lift.
    Assuming the blood doesn't die... in my raid they die off from cleaves.
    Also I'm skeptical that hNF could be better than the Int from WoU.

Quote Originally Posted by UunaPriest View Post
    Assuming the blood doesn't die... in my raid they die off from cleaves.
    Also I'm skeptical that hNF could be better than the Int from WoU.
    This. I really don't see how +440 mastery from HNF beats +474 intellect from WoU, even on Spine where you're stacking mastery.