Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

why do we feel different about the same outcomes?

why are we "shocked and appalled" at a person causing another person pain, yet we are not "shocked and appalled" at nature (such as tornadoes and hurricanes) causing people pain?

in both outcomes, someone is in pain...

this came from the thread where a woman was punched in the face, so i'll use that context.

when a woman is in pain from a man, its shocking and appalling. when people collectively are in pain from nature, eh not so much.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    The evidence for leprechauns is immense - do you know how many socks dissappear on the world scale... This means that the chance of leprechauns exists is the same as them not existing - therefore you cannot deny their existence

Deleted
    Really?

A person causing another person harm is a premeditated act and makes a statement and we often feel sympathy towards the victim.

A tornado is... air that does what air does.

The real question is probably.. don't you have sympathy for the victims of a tornado?

Quote Originally Posted by manbeartruck View Post
    Really?

A person causing another person harm is a premeditated act and makes a statement and we often feel sympathy towards the victim.

A tornado is... air that does what air does.

The real question is probably.. don't you have sympathy for the victims of a tornado?
    um...how do we know that a tornado, hurricane, volcano, etc is not premeditated?

i feel sympathy for anyone or anything in pain, regardless of the cause - i am not "shocked and appalled" however when it happens

10+ Year Old Account
    I think we're shocked and appalled by malice and intent more than by the actual injury. The injury makes us sympathetic.

A tornado or a hurricane is something that occurs without malice.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Quote Originally Posted by crica View Post
    why are we "shocked and appalled" at a person causing another person pain, yet we are not "shocked and appalled" at nature (such as tornadoes and hurricanes) causing people pain?

in both outcomes, someone is in pain...
    Personally I would be very "shocked and appalled" if a tornado came through my town and killed everyone. Maybe I'm just weird like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    I think we're shocked and appalled by malice and intent more than by the actual injury. The injury makes us sympathetic.

This right here. Well said. But a natural disaster is still very much shocking (especially if you don't live in an area prone to them), but appalling? It's just something that happens.
    Last edited by Spriggan; 2012-03-07 at 03:38 PM.
    "The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." - Aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post

how do we know the intent is with or without malice? we cant hear the thoughts of humans or natural events...

10+ Year Old Account
    how do we know the intent is with or without malice? we cant hear the thoughts of humans or natural events...
    Because we're limited by our lack of understanding of the world. You can't feel emotions over something that you have no comprehension about... you can speculate, yes, but no more. If we ever discover that tornadoes do think, and enjoy attacking people who happen to live in tornado areas, than that would change

Deleted
    um...how do we know that a tornado, hurricane, volcano, etc is not premeditated?
    What on earth are you talking about? We know perfectly well what causes tornadoes, volcanic eruptions, earthquakes, etc.

And no, you're most likely not 'shocked and appalled' by the persons pain, as much as it malicious intent their aggressor has shown.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_is_a_tornado_created

Quote Originally Posted by manbeartruck View Post
    We know perfectly well what causes tornadoes, volcanic eruptions, earthquakes, etc.
    and we know perfectly well what causes a person to inflict pain on another person as well...yet we apply intent to the person but not to the tornado, why when we can hear neither of their thoughts?

---------- Post added 2012-03-07 at 09:39 AM ----------

that does not show intent - only cause

Because people have the free will to choose not to cause other people pain, where as nature is simply running its course and we're in the way?

Not that people aren't shocked and appalled at natural disasters.

Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    If we ever discover that tornadoes do think, and enjoy attacking people who happen to live in tornado areas
    how would we "discover" it? how did we "discover" it in humans?

---------- Post added 2012-03-07 at 09:42 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by StationaryHawk View Post
    people have the free will to choose not to cause other people pain
    how do we know we do?

how would we "discover" it? *how did we "discover" it in humans?
    We studied them.

We've studied tornadoes too, and so far have found no evidence that they're sentient beings.

Deleted
    and we know perfectly well what causes a person to inflict pain on another person?[COLOR="red"]
    Yes, we do, actually. What are you talking about? Some reasons would be greed, retribution, dominance, fight for resources of some nature, and just generally being a dickbag.

that does not show intent - only cause
    Intent implies intelligence. Intelligence requires a functional brain. A tornado doesn't have intent since it's caused by changes in air pressure. An earthquake doesn't have intent because its caused by the different pieces of the earth's mantle rubbing against each other.

.. I'm not sure if you're serious or just trolling us...

Quote Originally Posted by StationaryHawk View Post
    We studied them.

We've studied tornadoes too, and so far have found no evidence that they're sentient beings.
    but how does*studying*a person allow you to "know for a fact" they enjoy or not enjoy something? *

Because they're not alive, they're all a gathering of certain events which lead to something on a grander scale. We as humans, then give a name to this "something".
    Natural events cannot have malice because they're not alive and thus cannot think, they just happen.

Malice from people is easy: we use reason. In your general situation where someone punches someone else in the face, it is logical to assume that the puncher is not doing this to help that person, he is doing it to hurt him/her. That is what we call malice.

Think I will start a movement to make a law so we can stop tornados from tornading.
    Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    Luckily I have no interest in Catgirl Simulator 2014 or whatever it is.
    Said while playing WoW with cow, wolf, panda and fox girls.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because tornados have no thoughts and therefore cannot have malice. They're created by masses of air moving in specific ways. If you're asking whether or not tornados can have malice or intent, you're really asking if tornados are conscious or not, to which I can emphatically respond NO they're not.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!