1. #1

    Lightbulb Dodge Animations

    Hello all.

    So I'll just start off by saying that I am thrilled with how GW2 is progressing. I'd be perfectly happy if they released the game without any modifications beyond bug fixes. However, I think it would be a cool idea if there were profession or race specific dodge animations. For example, the necromancer could assume that awesome Death Shroud skin (but not enter the real form and have his or her ability bar change etc.) and quickly glide out of the way instead of rolling. Another example might be thieves disappearing in a puff of smoke and reappearing a short distance away. This would have to have some way for players to tell which way the thief is "rolling" to keep it in line with other animations. To keep this purely cosmetic the animations would have to all match the distance traveled of the current roll animation and have the same built-in invulnerability period.

    I realize it is in all likelihood much too late for ArenaNet to implement this, but it's still fun to think about. What dodge animation would you like to see for your favorite profession or race?

  2. #2
    I disagree, and find the current dodge animations perfectly fine as-is.

    The only reason I say this is because people would quickly get confused. Did the thief stealth using smoke bomb? Or did he dodge? Or did he heal? And the necro one would also be confusing.*

    It's a nice idea to think about, but I think the ramifications of its implementation would be too severe to justify doing so.

  3. #3
    Warchief Northy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    2,057
    The Thief looks sick when he dodges, it looks like he's shimmering in and out of reality when he does.

  4. #4
    This would be a neat idea but its hard to implement with all classes what would warriors/rangers/engys do? I like the simple dodge enough not to bother messing with it perhaps later after the game is released.

  5. #5
    This is a really neat idea, but like others have said, it would take time and effort to implement and it isn't really a necessary addition. I would definitely be quite pleased if they eventually did do something like that. It would give it a nice bit of flavor, for sure.

  6. #6
    Thanks for your thoughts on this. Perhaps the examples I listed were too extreme. What about a race specific dodge? And instead of being completely different than the roll animation we have now, how about something more subtle such as sylvari doing a cartwheel/flip or charr pouncing instead of rolling?

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Balfire View Post
    This would be a neat idea but its hard to implement with all classes what would warriors/rangers/engys do? I like the simple dodge enough not to bother messing with it perhaps later after the game is released.
    Warriors would do a charge in the specific direction (think of Riven's Valor from LoL), rangers would do a disengage (jump backwards) into the direction you want to go, engies would shoot the ground and use that force to dodge, mesmers would have a blink like thing, and a mirror of themselves breaking where they were (does nothing but look cool no hp or anything, just a shattering mirror look alike).
    - Guild Wars 2 Characters -
    Senari of the Woad | Riven Lightsbane | Cain the Mystic


  8. #8
    thiefs vanishing and reappearing sounds abit.. OP, it'd be like a blink rather than a dodge.

  9. #9
    The Insane DrakeWurrum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Isle of Faces
    Posts
    15,030
    I don't think it's needed. The concept of dodging is so universal that a standard diving roll is fine.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

    If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

  10. #10
    Scarab Lord Wrathonia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Port Charlotte
    Posts
    4,477
    If you look up traits, you will see that most professions have a trait that can activate on a dodge. *Engineers can drop a bomb when they dodge. I can't recall what each profession has access to, but each profession has unique traits for a dodge.
    Last edited by Wrathonia; 2012-03-07 at 06:15 PM. Reason: phone is going crazy with autocorrect

  11. #11
    Cool idea in theory, but to be perfectly honest, the game is flashy enough as it is at the moment. Arena Net is actually currently working on ways to make the spell effects less dramatic so you can more easily tell what the hell's going on in the middle of a battle. WvW was ridiculous to play in during the press beta weekend because of this.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Allanon the Mystic View Post
    Warriors would do a charge in the specific direction (think of Riven's Valor from LoL), rangers would do a disengage (jump backwards) into the direction you want to go, engies would shoot the ground and use that force to dodge, mesmers would have a blink like thing, and a mirror of themselves breaking where they were (does nothing but look cool no hp or anything, just a shattering mirror look alike).
    I actually like that idea for warriors alot a quick dash like the Riven example would be great, the only thing I dislike is the ranger one, its unique but I'd rather have the roll.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Balfire View Post
    I actually like that idea for warriors alot a quick dash like the Riven example would be great, the only thing I dislike is the ranger one, its unique but I'd rather have the roll.
    eh, you asked what they might do if they did so ;D
    - Guild Wars 2 Characters -
    Senari of the Woad | Riven Lightsbane | Cain the Mystic


  14. #14
    Scarab Lord Wrathonia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Port Charlotte
    Posts
    4,477
    Well, at least his suggested example wasn't having the ranger do a ninja log trick or go over to his pet and toss it in harms way instead of himself. >_<

  15. #15
    The Lightbringer Durzlla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    3,650
    Well there are traits to make Things happen when you dodge... And I'd rather not have it be just a prof specific thing cause that means asura will no longer be doin flips and shit!
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

  16. #16
    I, personally, prefer a Dodge Roll's animation over, say, a blink or a dash.
    I'm weird :3

    <3

  17. #17
    Blademaster Chaith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    49
    Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    I don't think it's needed. The concept of dodging is so universal that a standard diving roll is fine.
    I agree. *I don't think it's needed. *I support keeping them the same across classes. *Unique, flashy dodge animation can only complicate having the proper battle awareness or who has a full bar of endurance to blow.

    It would; however, for the 'mind game' trademark owned by the Mesmer. *I'm guessing that's why you can trait to summon a clone per dodge roll. *Sounds pretty ingenious.

  18. #18
    I'd like to have a Blink animation for Guardian/Elementalist/Mesmer, like some destinies in Kingdoms of Amalur have. Especially for guardian, dodging in heavy armor would look somewhat silly.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by jaelrin View Post
    I'd like to have a Blink animation for Guardian/Elementalist/Mesmer, like some destinies in Kingdoms of Amalur have. Especially for guardian, dodging in heavy armor would look somewhat silly.
    I've fallen and I can't get up!
    - Guild Wars 2 Characters -
    Senari of the Woad | Riven Lightsbane | Cain the Mystic


  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by jaelrin View Post
    I'd like to have a Blink animation for Guardian/Elementalist/Mesmer, like some destinies in Kingdoms of Amalur have. Especially for guardian, dodging in heavy armor would look somewhat silly.
    People would probably confuse the blink for the mesmers teleport skill.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •