Thread: Marriage

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    I definitely want the honeymoon and ring lol. Not sure about the ceremony and paperwork though. I could probably live w/o those.

Quote Originally Posted by Bavol View Post
    I definitely want the honeymoon and ring lol. Not sure about the ceremony and paperwork though. I could probably live w/o those.
    You could take a vacation and go to an awesome place with your S.O. Honeymoon is just a fancy name for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Fedexkilla View Post
    The problem today is that self centered individuals cant be bothered to cohabitate in a traditional manner for a multitude of piss poor reasons thus leading to the "Why do I have to get married" regressive thought patterns.
    Why is that a problem?

What effect does it have on you whether people get married or just live together?

Who are you to judge somebody's reason as "piss poor"?

Why is weighing the pros/cons and then deciding against getting married a "regressive thought pattern"?

Something tells me "traditional manner" is code for "man and a woman married in a church". Am I wrong?

---------- Post added 2012-03-07 at 10:02 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Krolikn View Post
    I don't think you should rush into it. So many people make the mistake of getting married either too young or too early in a relationship and of course end up divorced. I know people that have gotten multiple divorces and rush back into another marriage in nearly every relationship. They take it way too lightly.
    The "getting married too young" thing isn't very accurate, considering the average marriage age has been getting higher and higher, and the divorce rate has been getting higher at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Niku View Post
    What are your thoughts on getting married? Are you already married? If so, how's it working out?

I don't ever want to get married. I can't really see the benefits of it. Isn't being boyfriend and girlfriend enough?(or boyfriend and boyfriend or girlfriend and girlfriend... or boyfriend and two girlfriends. Or Girlfriend and two boyfriends... did I include everyone?
    I think marriage is a fine institution. Its been around a long while and I don't suppose it is going anywhere anytime soon. I have been married for almost 7 years now, and it is great. Granted, my wife and I lived together before we were married, and kept separate bank accounts after we were married (at least until we moved to a new state), so really nothing at all changed for us. I didn't do it for religious reasons or tax breaks. I did it because I love my wife more than anyone else in the world, forsaking all others.

If you don't get that, then you probably aren't ready to be married anyways. And if you don't want to be married, then don't be. But don't for a second think being married will, or will not change you. It may, it may not. For some people, those words and that piece of paper send them over the edge. For others (myself included), I hardly noticed a difference.

Different strokes for different folks.
    Note: These are my opinions. If you don't like them, go find your own.

Lets see.. expensive ceremony etc to get married; ruined once divorced occur(#1 reason why man are financially ruined); 50% divorce rate. I think I will pass.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Acewipe View Post
    I have been married for 5 years- and it is going great. Truly the benefits outweigh the negatives. Being married provides stability and partnership that a mere boyfriend/girlfriend relationship cannot even compare with. Would you trust your girlfriend to be a joint account holder with you? Own property jointly? Raise children together? I would not. Marriage establishes a commitment that cannot be broken on a whim. I agree though that marriage is not for everyone-
    This is how I feel about marriage also.
    Its a legal binding contract that states you are committed to one another. Living together for 50 years wouldnt be enough for me.
    The religious aspect does not matter to me. I am not religious but I would respect my partner if he was and would get married under a religion if it made him happy