View Poll Results: Are Naked Body Scanners for the Greater Good?

Voters
292. This poll is closed
  • Yes

109 37.33%
  • No

183 62.67%
Page 1 of 10
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Do You Think Naked Body Scanners are for the Greater Good?

At airports, when you go through naked body scanners, do you think this is for the greater good? Keep in mind, the TSA agents can see all your lovely junk. There is also potentially cancerous radiation that is battered upon you.

I think it's a breach in our constitutional rights. Where do you draw the line?

What do you think?

They can be subverted anyway, an article i read today. I'll see if i can find it.
    Last edited by Activi-T; 2012-03-07 at 07:34 PM.

Obviously you don't love America enough.

10+ Year Old Account
    what is that from? lol

Quote Originally Posted by Activi-T View Post
    They can be subverted anyway, an article i read today. I'll see if i can find it.
    You mean this?

"A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my ANGER"

It's from Hot Fuzz. A really good film from Simon Pegg and Nick Frost (Shaun of the dead, Paul)
    Yes, i believe it was based on this. Thanks logobola.
    Last edited by Activi-T; 2012-03-07 at 07:41 PM.

Nah, of course it's not for the greater good.

It's all part of the USA's plan to instill fear and paranoia in the populace. The government needs that fear so that they can get people to do whatever they want. This is just 1 method out of many that they use.

Either that, or the person/company who makes the naked body scanners gave some people in the government some really, really good blowjobs.

.... Probably both.

You can say that America is still mostly free... and it is. But if this continues, I dunno what America will be like in 50 years. They'll be able to - without warrant - tap your phones, internet, private conversations, track all your purchases, track all the books you read, who you talk and communicate with, what your political views are... etc etc. (Though I think they already do all that, facebook and google be thanked.) While that may not be an issue now... How they use that information is questionable. But what about 20 or 50 years from now... how will they use that information then?

Humans have not changed. We're still effectively the same people that we were 50 or 100 years ago: America is still capable of turning into Nazi Germany, Stalin's Regime, or Mao's mass murdering China. If we don't stop it now... when will we stop it? Who will stop it? And will it be too late by then?

I keep thinking of the Tau Empire from Warhammer 40k... do u think they invented the nude body scanner?
    The world was just as bad when you were young as it is today. You only see it now because of your age.

10+ Year Old Account
    As someone with an advanced degree in chemistry -- if someone really and truly wanted to blow up a plane they could. *There are chemicals that would fit in the 3-1-1 rules and not be picked up by x-ray or the body scanners. *This is all political theater using the threat of terrorism to keep citizens obeying the rules and lining the pockets of corporations that supply the technology.

Disclaimer in case big brother is watching -- I would never ever blow up an airplane. *I like the convenience of flying and am a good guy!!
    Forum badass alert:
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana Violence View Post
    It's called resistance / rebellion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana Violence View Post
    Also, one day the tables might turn.

Quote Originally Posted by golds View Post
    At airports, when you go through naked body scanners, do you think this is for the greater good? Keep in mind, the TSA agents can see all your lovely junk. There is also potentially cancerous radiation that is battered upon you.

I think it's a breach in our constitutional rights. Where do you draw the line?

What do you think?
    Spread more false information can you? They can't "see your junk" and many of the new scanners even have those areas covered and only highlighted if there is something of concern.

Why are you so concerned with what a complete stranger thinks of you. You will never meet them, you will never know who they are, and you will never know what they did or did not see. Why assume that they give a crap about your junk and what it looks like?

10+ Year Old Account
    As a TSA employee, I fully support body scanners.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Lets say you have a two 3 inch lines. One is all red and the other is 48% red and 52% blue. Does that mean there's a 50-50 chance they're both red or is the second line matching the all red line by 48%?
    ^^^ Wells using an analogy

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaerin View Post
    Spread more false information can you? They can't "see your junk" and many of the new scanners even have those areas covered and only highlighted if there is something of concern.

Why are you so concerned with what a complete stranger thinks of you. You will never meet them, you will never know who they are, and you will never know what they did or did not see. Why assume that they give a crap about your junk and what it looks like?
    It's not about that. It's about the constitution being thrown out the door. *Thomas Jefferson would be ashamed!

Deleted
    I saw that video with the red shirt guy on reddit yesterday and after seeing that I don't really see why the hell are there these scanners. But more importantly, how come there aren't the good ol' metal detectors implemented in the scanning frame? That confuses me.

15+ Year Old Account
    I don't care, we're all human, we all have those body parts. Nothing to be ashamed of, nothing to hide, I just want to get through security as fast as possible and get on my damn flight.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Activi-T View Post

Hot Fuzz <3. Not as good as Shaun of the Dead :P.

OT: I voted no.

Deleted
    To bring up the point by a comedian who's name I can't remember: "When you're forced to queue to have a man in a box look at your testicals, surely you'd think the terrorists had won?"

Which I think is a perfectly valid point. I reckon they're excessive.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hell, I'd walk through airport security butt-naked if, somewhat paradoxically, I didn't face arrest for doing something like that. But I'd walk everywhere butt-naked if I wouldn't get arrested, so that's beside the point. I think people have a right to their privacy, and if they want to exercise it, they shouldn't be forced to comply with this body scanner - if airports absolutely must have it, then the option to be checked by sniffer dogs and metal detectors instead before boarding should be available to them. Of course, that'd make the scanners completely superfluous and kind of work to prove the point that they are less effective than traditional methods. This seems to be nothing more than blind faith in technology to fix something that wasn't broken.

Deleted
    do they have these in UK airports? been a while since i have been to one :| but according to that video above, do the scanners not have a metal detector? that seems pretty stupid.
    also, i dont really care if some random guy can see my genitals through a body scanner, that guy isnt going to take a picture and put it on the internet or anything, i am never going to meet the guy, would be more concerned of the radiation

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    do they have these in UK airports? been a while since i have been to one :| but according to that video above, do the scanners not have a metal detector? that seems pretty stupid.
    also, i dont really care if some random guy can see my genitals through a body scanner, that guy isnt going to take a picture and put it on the internet or anything, i am never going to meet the guy, would be more concerned of the radiation
    Nah, they have them in like.. Manchester I think; and that's it.

I think everyone overlooks this point when saying that these invade your rights. Here is the point and case.

Airlines are still a corporation and are selling a product. If you don't like the way they sell their product, then don't take an airplane. Taking an airplane is a privilege and not a right.