Page 1 of 2
LastLast

SWTOR wont open?

Hey.

I just turned on my computer and tried to open SWTOR, however it just won't work. I run it and it asks if i want to. I select continue and nothing happens. When i try to run it again, it says only one instance of the application can run. I've tried relogging, restarting, shutting down, running the program as administrator, going to file location and running from there, i ran the FixLauncher thing, nothing works.

Any ideas?
    "English doesn't so much borrow words from other languages as follows them into a dark alley, hits them over the head and goes through their pockets for loose vocabulary."

10+ Year Old Account
    try waiting

I have for up to 20 minutes. Nothing happened. At all. At that point its safe to assume something is wrong.
    "English doesn't so much borrow words from other languages as follows them into a dark alley, hits them over the head and goes through their pockets for loose vocabulary."

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Tried right clicking on the launcher and running as administrator?

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    For a test take off the UAC and try it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCal View Post
    For a test take off the UAC and try it.
    Do people actually use the UAC? o_O

Deleted
    happens me at times, i usally have to restart my computer and it works fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Culadin View Post
    Tried right clicking on the launcher and running as administrator?
    Yes, as i said in my OP.

And whats the UAC? Please note i am a total dunce with computers.

Edit : By chance, my brother knew what UAC was and i turned it off. No effect whatsoever.
    Last edited by Migey; 2012-03-08 at 04:06 PM.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Run a system restore to a point when the game was working. Chances are you will need to patch after but that should do it for ya.

Sounds like a good idea, but how?

Please note, i suck with computers, so i may not understand some things.

Also, if it helps, im using Vista (yes yes i know it sucks).

Thanks alot!

10+ Year Old Account
    First of all, stop restarting. It's a waste of time when all you are trying to do is crash the launcher.

Hit Ctrl + Alt + Del and switch to the process tab and look for "Launcher.exe". This is what gives you the problem with only 1 instance of the launcher running.

Secondly, leave task manager open when you attempt to reopen it and watch and make sure the launcher is opening with out problems.

Thirdly, if it still doesn't start, try a clean boot. It may be some process in the background running that is causing the issue. Clean Boot - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/331796

Lastly, system restore is always a fall back if you can't figure something out that was working before. To use it, go to "Start" -> "Programs" -> "Accessories" -> "System Tools" -> "System Restore". It will guide you through the process but make sure you choose the most recent restore point where TOR was functional because it will delete everything that is new on the computer since the date you choose.
    Last edited by -Atlass-; 2012-03-08 at 08:22 PM.

Be thankful.

Please don't troll and make pointless posts.
    Last edited by Arlee; 2012-03-08 at 08:36 PM.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Start Menu > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore

Inside system restore select a date when Star Wars was functional and then select next until the PC takes over. Restore can take 5+ minutes so now would be a good time to go get that bottle of water or take a smoke break.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    You make any changes prior to your issue?
    Have you tried cold boot (shut down/wait...../power up)?
    Is the process running in the task manager?
    Did you get a AV (anti virus) update recently?
    Have you tried to repair the SWTOR install?
    Are other programs running when you SWTOR?

Okay, trying to do the systems reboot and i've gotten up to Systems Tools but all thats in there is 'Computer', 'Control Panel' and 'Internet Explorer' ?? I put Systems Reboot into the search bar but nothing turned up.

@ Atlass - i did do all of the task managar stuff, and i can close it down from there so it no longer says only one instance can run, but the launcher still doesn't open.

Edit : eh, weird, there were two identical accessories folders, but with different things in the Systems Tools folder. Thanks alot for the help guys, and here goes.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Migey View Post
    Edit : eh, weird, there were two identical accessories folders, but with different things in the Systems Tools folder. Thanks alot for the help guys, and here goes.
    That is very odd and it shouldn't be like that unless you were accessing a manufacturer specific system tools, say on an Asus laptop they include there own version under all programs. Either way very odd.

Okay, finished the systems restore and everything else seems to be as it was 3 days ago (when the game was DEFINATELY working), as there were one or two updates missing... but SWTOR STILL is not working. I've posted this on the official SWTOR forums CS section and got a few responses but they didn't help and have heard nothing since...

Edit : Wondering if uninstalling and reinstalling the game would help? Nothing else has worked and i've got bugger all to lose, but can't work out how to uninstall it? Tried right clicking it but nothing obvious came up. Yes, i suck with computers. Sorry >.<
    Last edited by Migey; 2012-03-08 at 09:42 PM.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Right click on the launcher and select properties. In the properties window select the compatibility tab. Then check off the box "Run this program in compatibility mode" and select Windows XP Service Package 3. Try starting the launcher after that change. If it doesn't work make sure you go back in and uncheck that box.

Also the launcher not starting could be caused by an internet explorer related issue. So follow these steps also.

Open Start Menu > Control Panel > Network and Internet (of if you are in icon view select internet options) > Select Internet Options > Select the advanced tab > (bottom right corner) hit the Reset button. When it gives you the options to 'delete personal settings' have that checked off. After that is reset try running the launcher.

Now if after all of that the launcher still isn't working visit the virus removal guide in my signature and follow the steps listed there just to make sure your computer is clean of infections since it is possible for a virus to affect system programs.
    Last edited by OhpUldum; 2012-03-08 at 09:45 PM.

There is Windows XP Service Package 2, but not 3 - i assume that works too?

Also, i did the second thing you suggested, the reset internet thing, and it hasn't worked.

Will do the virus removal thing now.

Edit : Btw, wanna say that i REALLY appreciate all the help Culadin

Second edit : the virus removal thing is alot of steps but im willing to do it, but since i don't really use this computer for anything apart from games and one or two sites (youtube, this, facebook, and maybe one or two other forums) would a full scan with Microsoft Securty Essentials suffice?

Third edit : okay, i just realised i had SWTOR installed on my other, shitty computer (there is no way i can play anything apart from WoW on it) and i tried opening SWTOR - and it worked fine. Definately something wrong with my computer then, but i just can't work out what. Would maybe uninstalling and reinstalling the game on my computer work? (Although cant work out how to uninstall)
    Last edited by Migey; 2012-03-08 at 10:26 PM.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    I'd recommend following the guide, security essentials isn't good at all for picking up malware.

XP service pack 2 but not 3 shouldn't be an issue, was more a shot in the dark of it working.

The last thing you could do would be to uninstall the game from this computer. Copy the game folder from the computer it is working on to the computer where it isn't working. You will lose any saved account data such as keybindings but if it works you're back in and playing. You may also need to download and install the Direct X libraries from Microsoft if you go this route.