10+ Year Old Account

Can someone explain the features that got cut?

I haven't been keeping up to date with the most recent news for D3 but I have read a few posts talking about features being cut, like mystic and pre selected class specs or something? I am glad they got rid of the ranks for skills I thought that was unnecessary. Can someone fill me in on the details? As well as what has been restricted.

I am still looking forward to the game, lot of people are complaining about ridiculous stuff like "its too easy" or "too much clicking" when I know it will get harder and clicking is what diablo is all about lol. Just pissed they stalled for so long.

Deleted
    Trying to think, there have been a LOT of changes. I don't really know about any of the specific skill changes to be honest but for other removals/changes

Nephalem Altars, Cube and Cauldron of Jordan were removed, but a town portal button was added (Scrolls of town portal removed)

Levelling artisans in normal difficult requires gold now, rather than the page-thingies originally (but as far as I'm aware still will require those for higher difficulty settings). Mystic was removed completely but they said "she might return later".

They removed the ability to salvage white items and also identify was kinda removed from the game, in that they removed scrolls and now you just identify items by right clicking on them.

Charms, gems, runes. There's too much stuff to go into detail about.

Pretty much nothing has actually been cut. They changed a lot of the game around and took out things that were no longer relevant, so it might look like stuff is being cut off when it just isn't needed anymore.

I.e: They removed the cauldron of jordan which you could use to sell items while in a dungeon, and around the same time they announced that you could tp back to town at any time and then portal back to where you left off, without having to keep scrolls of tp on you. Same with the cube which let you break down items into mats, at around the same time they changed the crafting system so that you wouldn't need to break down every white item that drops (in fact you can't break down white items anymore).

They removed the mystic for gear upgrading, but considering exactly how all of the gems and runes etc. were going to actually upgrade gear was less than final at the time, they seem to have taken all of the customization she would have given and put it into the other systems instead.

Bascially they made a paradigm change away from "customise your gear by means of stats" (a method which works and is fairly traditional but also in my opinion quite uninteresting because it is fairly easy to math out the perfect answer and then all the others become almost objectively wrong, thus giving only an illusion of any actual choice) to "customise your character by way of runes" which to me seems like a far more exciting idea, as while it is also likely that people will be able to calculate a theoretically optimal build, things will be far more situational and subjective than they would be if we were just talking about gems

And they changed it so that you just unlock the runes instead of picking them up because it just didn't seem like a fun mechanic

Maybe I am wrong but didnt they want to implement the Cauldron in as a quest reward a little bit after you passed the Skeleton King?

I think the release date was also removed in the last beta patch.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercuria View Post
    Maybe I am wrong but didnt they want to implement the Cauldron in as a quest reward a little bit after you passed the Skeleton King?
    Naw it's gone entirely. They still want to have people returning to town for breaks in the action to sell/salvage and give their characters a chance to take a hot bath before returning to demon slaying.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lysah View Post
    Charms, gems, runes. There's too much stuff to go into detail about.
    mind you gems and runes are not cut

Quote Originally Posted by Conbot View Post
    I think the release date was also removed in the last beta patch.
    Yup, they were planning to remove the release date since Duke Nukem Forever was released and they realised D3 would be the clear front-runner for "Best Game Never Released".

10+ Year Old Account
    I still don't get why they'd even have the white items drop now. It's gonna get like D2 where you don't even pick the items up at all just to avoid the hassle of having to go back and sell them, no matter how convenient the TP might seem.

[/COLOR]
    Quote Originally Posted by Protoman View Post
    I haven't been keeping up to date with the most recent news for D3 but I have read a few posts talking about features being cut, like mystic and pre selected class specs or something? I am glad they got rid of the ranks for skills I thought that was unnecessary. Can someone fill me in on the details? As well as what has been restricted.

I am still looking forward to the game, lot of people are complaining about ridiculous stuff like "its too easy" or "too much clicking" when I know it will get harder and clicking is what diablo is all about lol. Just pissed they stalled for so long.
    Always take what you read on the forums with a grain of salt. There are massive trolls, clueless people & just people that want to jump on the hate bandwagon all the time so most of the stuff you read is crap.

As for your question. The Mystic is cut for now, maybe we'll see him in an expansion. Runes were modified, instead of a dropped item, you'll now unlock them when you get certain levels (starting at lvl 6). Runes were one of the reason for the release delay + it was an inventory horror. 7 levels of runes, 5 runes per skills... you do the math.

I'm one of those who have no problem with the rune system being changed because I'll be too busy farming gems anyway (14 levels of gems... 4 types).

The stuff about "it's too easy" are from those clueless troll people.. I mean they are playing the beta, on normal mode, in the very first act. They expect this to be inferno level. Just dismiss the "too easy" posts since those people have no idea about what the rest of the game is.

"Too much clicking" well... you can dismiss those too, I guess these people never played diablo before.

As for the other stuff, not too sure the last time you read on the patch notes but like the others say, cauldron of jordan (to sell stuff on the go) is gone (they want you to go back to town more often). Nephelem cube is gone (you now have to visit the blacksmith to salvage your stuff). They removed the stone of recall item & changed it into a town portal (which is better imo).

Scrolls of identify are gone (now you have to rightclick the item to identify it). Why not have the items identified in the first place you ask? One reason could be that you could sell an unidentified item on the AH for a bit higher (I didn't even test that to see if it works).

Scrolls of companion are gone for now (those were pets gathering gold around you). I personally loved those except the flavor of pets.. rabbits & stuff. I hope they make a comeback but with more sinister pets.

Obviously the skill UI has changed quite a bit. There's a lot of rage on the forums about it. I find it fine but there's a few things they could make better. The biggest issue I have with it is that you have to wait quite a minute to change a skill from one slot to the other if you already had that skill equipped.

They will be adding shared MF & GF between players. So if 4 players have a total of 500 MF combined, each player gets 125 MF.

Patch 14 which is today "may" add increased damage from mobs & some other stuff that we'll know about soon.

That's pretty much all I can think of at the moment.
    Last edited by Madcaptn; 2012-03-08 at 10:40 PM.

Deleted
    They pretty much made it so most of your customization comes from items and their stats.
    Everyone will have the same skills but different builds depening on choice of active/passive skills.
    They removed runes/charms because of inventory issues or just couldn't implement them correctly.
    Also they removed one of the professions, mystic was the enchanter not sure why they did it.
    Hopefully I summed up most important points.

10+ Year Old Account
    Are they still gonna have those items that change the properties of your abilities? Like Arcane Hydras and such?

Quote Originally Posted by SenakeRow View Post
    They pretty much made it so most of your customization comes from items and their stats.
    Everyone will have the same skills but different builds depening on choice of active/passive skills.
    I think there's more customisation options by switching build than changing stats. There is some customisation through jewels, allowing you to concentrate on more damage or hit points and taking perks like % chance to find magic items or what looks like life-stealing. Skill customisation at max level has possible combinations numbering in the billions, and whilst you can probably trim the vast majority of those away for being useless there's still going to be an awful lot of tweaking you can do through runestones.

They removed runes/charms because of inventory issues or just couldn't implement them correctly.
    Runes are still there but they will now be unlocked for spells as you level rather than needing a drop to unlock. The change was made not just because of the inventory issues but also because they didn't like the mechanic of making you farm for particular items to try a play-style (imagine if key talents and abilities in WoW had to be found through RNG). Also this change gives more of an incentive to carry on levelling to the cap after you finish normal-mode as you will get more customisation options rather than just more stats.

Also they removed one of the professions, mystic was the enchanter not sure why they did it.
    I think they weren't totally happy with the way the mystic played and felt functionally she was too similar to the gemcrafter so they took her out, there's a chance we'll get a suitably tweaked version for the expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by Flutterguy View Post
    Are they still gonna have those items that change the properties of your abilities? Like Arcane Hydras and such?
    You'll still have the same options but they will now be properties of the spells you unlock at higher levels rather than items you need to apply.

For example a wizard learns Hydra at lvl 20. At lvl 28 you unlock the rune that gives the option of changing it to Arcane Hydra, at 36 Lightning Hydra and so on.

It's two sides of the same coin. Blizz says something like "they didn't like the mechanic of making you farm for particular items to try a play-style." On the other hand, the more ways to customize your character, the more play time there will be before you perfect it. You didn't NEED charms in D2 to try out a play style, but it was something you could farm for if you wanted something to do.

It remains that after all these changes, the only thing there is really left to farm at 60 is actual gear, I just hope it's enough.

10+ Year Old Account
    As of today they are also cutting PVP until sometime after launch. Which means Diablo 3 is going to ship with less worthwhile features then Diablo 2; while also not really improving on the play style. So until some time in the future when the anti pvp lead dev Jay Wilson actually decides to put some pvp in the game, D3 is nothing but spam clicking through the same dungeons over and over to get loot or just buying it on the auction house with your credit card. I loved Diablo 2, but now it seems like Diablo 3 is going to be a poor sequel for 2012.

Blog post is linked below.
    http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/4574895
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Flutterguy View Post
    I still don't get why they'd even have the white items drop now. It's gonna get like D2 where you don't even pick the items up at all just to avoid the hassle of having to go back and sell them, no matter how convenient the TP might seem.
    i used to pick all items, gray,white, and that low gold giving assassin weapons and arrows. believe me even if its a hassle some ppl (like me) would still pick it up to sell
    but then i got high lvl and started realising what selled for more so just picked yellow items or staffs and such

Quote Originally Posted by Korgoth View Post
    As of today they are also cutting PVP until sometime after launch. Which means Diablo 3 is going to ship with less worthwhile features then Diablo 2; while also not really improving on the play style. So until some time in the future when the anti pvp lead dev Jay Wilson actually decides to put some pvp in the game, D3 is nothing but spam clicking through the same dungeons over and over to get loot or just buying it on the auction house with your credit card. I loved Diablo 2, but now it seems like Diablo 3 is going to be a poor sequel for 2012.

Blog post is linked below.
    http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/4574895
    You make it sound like it's a bad thing No pvp is just what Diablo needs. Focus on the main attraction, PvE.