Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

The Internet in Canada is COMPLETE shit

Im from Canada and I believe we have the worst Internet services in the world. It doesn't matter what company you are with, it will always be shit. I'm paying 100 bucks a month for the higher package which boasts 75 download speeds, but doing a speedtest it shows 10-17. Sometimes I can't watch a YouTube video without it waiting to load, complete bullshit. This is in Toronto by the way, even third world countries have better Internet, it's ridiculous. Who else has this problem? Surely I can't be the only one.

Quote Originally Posted by Brewski View Post
    Im from Canada and I believe we have the worst Internet services in the world. It doesn't matter what company you are with, it will always be shit. I'm paying 100 bucks a month for the higher package which boasts 75 download speeds, but doing a speedtest it shows 10-17. Sometimes I can't watch a YouTube video without it waiting to load, complete bullshit. This is in Toronto by the way, even third world countries have better Internet, it's ridiculous. Who else has this problem? Surely I can't be the only one.
    What's your download rate?

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    I assume you are using rogers? they are the only ones i can think of that offer 75mb down either way call them and see whats up it could be a problem with the line that they can and will fix

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm just outside Toronto and my internet is ridiculously fast. Doesn't even cost all that much.

Don't tell me. You're using Rogers.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've always had fantastic speeds, and I've lived all over the country.
    Ontario, New Brunswick, Alberta, BC; in major cities and not-so-major cities. Never had a problem before.

PICNIC problem, imo.

Deleted
    There are a lot of places in the UK that can't get more than 8mb, speedtest usually puts me around 6mb which has been about the same for the three different ISPs I have been with regardless. Torrent downloads usually go 700kbps-900kbps for me.*

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzzie View Post
    I'm just outside Toronto and my internet is ridiculously fast. Doesn't even cost all that much.

Yeah it's Rogers and I just switched from bell.. What company are you with?

10+ Year Old Account
    Could also be a problem with your router, if you use one. I'd call the ISP though, just to make sure there isn't any fuzz on the line or such.

I have a 70MBs/d - 10MBs/u connection myself, paying roughly 50$ for it (Converted from Norwegian currency to USD), and when I first got it I measured that I only got half the speed. Called ISP, they said everything was fine, checked my router settings and played around a bit and it was fixed shortly after.

Don't ask me what settings I touched, I doubt my router is the same as yours eh!

---------- Post added 2012-03-08 at 02:50 PM ----------

Whats your connection, and how much is it per month? Interesting to see the difference between countries..
    Hi

Deleted
    Ireland. Very low BB coverage, very low average speeds, very high prices. Shocking for such an IT heavy country considering they have IBM, Google, MS etc present. At a pinch i'd estimate twice the price of the UK and about 2/3 as fast on average at best.

15+ Year Old Account
    Yeah it's Rogers and I just switched from bell.. What company are you with?
    Cogeco. Not sure if they're available in Toronto though. You can check their website (cogeco.ca). Been with them since they first introduced cable internet and they've always been fantastic. Just tested and it's running at 31M.

greetings from oklahoma

$45 a month for 700-800kbit down

10+ Year Old Account
    I agree that the Internet is shit in Canada. Only way to fix it is to cross the border, the 'Government' is completely unwilling to intervene in the nonsense.
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Gold and the 'need' for it in-game is easily one of the most overblown mindsets in this community.

Cogeco. Not sure if they're available in Toronto though. You can check their website (cogeco.ca). Been with them since they first introduced cable internet and they've always been fantastic. Just tested and it's running at 31M.
    Sadly I don't get their coverage where I live...

15+ Year Old Account
    Sadly I don't get their coverage where I live...
    Did you try Bell's Fibe?

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Sweden here.

Got a 100 mbit connection with a guaranteed speed of 75 mbit. Every test i've made shows that i'm around 97-99 Mbit pretty much all the time.
    Costs about 30$ a month.

If you're only getting out 10-17 mbit on a 75 mbit connection then something is terribly wrong. Call your ISP and ask them if there's any networkproblem, ask them to ping your computer and see how much packageloss they get.

Ya My internet is pretty good

Cant believe you guys are complaining about that. Here in Florida we pay $45 for 8mb service....speedtest shows us getting actual dl speeds of .5mb =|

www.teksavvy.ca

I'm using them, but currently still on the DSL (5Mb down for $45, unlimited). The cable service is 5x faster though for 10 bucks more, also with an unlimited plan.
    "The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." - Aristotle

10+ Year Old Account
    I've had nothing but problems and poor service from both Rogers and Bell, so I feel you. The government doesn't care and they continue to allow a situation where these two companies are able to control the market and hold those who have no other option hostage. My own story, I live 5 mins away from cable lines, and have so for going on 10 years. They have refused to bring the lines up here, mainly because they can gouge us for well over 50 dollars a month for a service with 1M download as long as it isnt too rainy/wet/cloudy/windy/warm or cold, then we are SoL. Last month they(bell) sent out a notice that they would no longer offer it and my only options were a more expensive 4g system (70 bucks a month with a 10gig cap) or go to dial up.

ask your goverment to improve the infrastructure.