Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaks View Post
    I'm probably just being paranoid but the moon is brighter tonight in the US than I've ever seen it before. Is it because of the solar flare?
    No, nothing from a solar flare or geomagnetic storm would make the Moon appear brighter. A full Moon is bright enough as is.

10+ Year Old Account
    I see the solar flares right now.

Its very cloudy though, I will try to record it with my little phone camera and hope for the best.

Deleted
    i dont care about this storm as long it doesnt kill all diablo iii source code and destroy its servers

Deleted
    We are at solar maximum, it will happen more or less the entire year so don't be sad if you miss it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Uranax View Post
    We are at solar maximum, it will happen more or less the entire year so don't be sad if you miss it.
    Forecasts from a few years ago had predicted a peak for solar cycle 24 to arrive in 2012, but that's long since been revised. Current estimates from NASA's Solar Physics Group at the Marshall Space Flight Center expect solar maximum to be reached in late 2013 or early 2014.

i live in NY, not sure if this is just verizon or the storm, but my phone lost service everywhere i went for about 3 hours yesterday, and i usually have full bars and everything, never had a problem before liek this, kidna found it funny that it happened right around the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by GW2lacky View Post
    This is going to sound weird and probably dumb:

But I've noticed over the last couple of days whenever I take my daughter to the park (i live at a decent elevation already and this is outside and at the top of a huge hill on top of that) my phone heats up MAJORLY. I have no apps running and it does not do this at lower elevations and inside. I'm not chatting on the phone or anything (or using GPS) but it will just start getting insanely hot at the battery once I've topped out this hill.

Could this be caused by a solar storm or EM waves?

EDIT: The heat is similar to putting a Zippo in your pocket right after you use it for an extended period of time.
    Could also be a faulty battery.

Quote Originally Posted by ninjapaws View Post
    i live in NY, not sure if this is just verizon or the storm, but my phone lost service everywhere i went for about 3 hours yesterday, and i usually have full bars and everything, never had a problem before liek this, kidna found it funny that it happened right around the same time.
    Its possible. Back in 1989 one of these geomagnetic storms actually knocked out Quebecs hydro grid, lasted about 9 hours too.

Edit: Guess I could add a link
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/March_1...magnetic_storm

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMiller20 View Post
    "This phase can disrupt power grids, satellites, oil pipelines and high-accuracy GPS systems used by oil drillers, surveyors and some agricultural operations, scientists said."

How severe do you think the disruptions will be?
    As a surveyor, sun storm do mess up the GPS, but the RTK (Real Time Kinematic) reference stations that provides real-time corrections, do a good job in counter it. But sometime it is to much and the accuracy drop from cm to dm. The closer to the poles you are the bigger problem.