Deleted

Which one is true

So me and a friend go to the gym and we work out our entire body in 1 day. I told him if he wants to focus on 1 muscle group more and wants to go more tot he gym he can just do 1 muscle group per day, common logic ofcourse, he agreed, but he said he would rather do all of them in 1 day, but he wants to go 4 days in 1 week doing every muscle group each week. I can understand why though, he is very skinny and only recently he has started seeing results (he is getting more muscular etc), so he is pumped etc.

But what are truly the benefits of doing 1 muscle group each day? Because personally I don't feel like doing 1 per day, I would rather go 3 times per week and do all in 2 of those days and cardio on the third day.

So what I am asking is: Which one is better to do, 1 each day, or all of them doing that 2-4 days a week.

I know thread title is vague.
    Last edited by mmoc13485c3c3f; 2012-03-08 at 06:48 PM.

Deleted
    First of all, do not do a full body workout more than twice a week (normally I'd say once a week but since you are beginners, twice max). If you work out too much, your muscles won't have time to build during your resting time and you will not gain any muscle. Second, doing 1-2 muscle groups per workout is better, mainly because you can be more focused and keep your intensity higher during a shorter period of time.

Did I answer your question?

If you're a beginner, making sure you do proper form and proper exercises (please do compound exercises) is more important than anything. Besides that, I agree with madloaf.

The only workouts worth repeating daily are work load style workouts, and these are very difficult to perform unless your entire job is to be in the best physical fitness possible. As I doubt your friend is a professional sportsman, I'd avoid that sort of thing.
    Doing heavy full body workouts too often is very bad for the body. He can cause far more harm than good.

I do effective workload workouts 3 days a week and cardio 2 days and stretching and flexibility training daily.
    I felt that standard weight training didn't develop my body to be able to handle the lifestyle I lead. It isn't about looking in shape so much as developing my body to be more effective overall. It helps me with my strenuous job(including helping to reduce repetitive stress injuries) and keeps me in shape.
    Quite often, the difference between an idiot and a genius is simply a matter of success rate.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Madloaf View Post
    First of all, do not do a full body workout more than twice a week (normally I'd say once a week but since you are beginners, twice max). If you work out too much, your muscles won't have time to build during your resting time and you will not gain any muscle. Second, doing 1-2 muscle groups per workout is better, mainly because you can be more focused and keep your intensity higher during a shorter period of time.

Did I answer your question?
    Yes, thank you.

Although he won't believe me probably. He is pretty high and mighty of himself and says: lol internet doesn't mean truth, which is true, not every source is reliable, but hey, it's just refusing to follow good advice. I think he went today too and I took a rest since my muscles huuuuuurt like hell.

---------- Post added 2012-03-08 at 08:19 PM ----------

Also another question:

It is true that if you train for specific something, your body will adapt to that form right? Body building is muscular, running is lean body etc etc.

Is it possible to get 'running' legs and the upper body of a weight lifter? I don't care how ridiculous that even looks, just is it possible? :P

I think you can help me with that Gilgemesh, seeing your last post regarding what you NEED for a type of body for your lifestyle instead of looks.

you can do full body workouts if you limit it to at most 3 times a week and in the same time mix up the reps, so do more reps on one excersice than before and less on another etc you must make sure you get a minimum of 1 day rest in between tho to give your muscles time to recover.

Personally i find working muscle groups induvidualy 3 times a week works the best tho, for example chest monday, shoulders wednesday, back friday then do a day of cardio game of football on the weekend for example

this is entierly up too you tho, EVERYONE builds muscles diffrently try diffrent things out and see what works like with anything in life in a year of doing this you will turn around and go as if i used to do it that way.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by coolkingler1 View Post
    Yes, thank you.

Although he won't believe me probably. He is pretty high and mighty of himself and says: lol internet doesn't mean truth, which is true, not every source is reliable, but hey, it's just refusing to follow good advice. I think he went today too and I took a rest since my muscles huuuuuurt like hell.

---------- Post added 2012-03-08 at 08:19 PM ----------

Also another question:

It is true that if you train for specific something, your body will adapt to that form right? Body building is muscular, running is lean body etc etc.

Is it possible to get 'running' legs and the upper body of a weight lifter? I don't care how ridiculous that even looks, just is it possible? :P

I think you can help me with that Gilgemesh, seeing your last post regarding what you NEED for a type of body for your lifestyle instead of looks.
    Coolkingler,

Your friend is correct regarding trusting the "internet". However, why be ignorant? All I can tell you is that, while not a pro, I have been working out for quiet some time and researching and trying out loads of different things. You should not take what I say, or anyone else, as complete fact but you should reflect on it.

Keep in mind that bodybuilding/training is an area where little is actually scientifically proven. Many will say "do this", others "do that". The best thing to do is to take information from different sources and try for yourself, see what makes you develop the most.

Now to your question. I can't really give a straight answer, but I can say this much: Heavy lifting builds muscle. If you lift heavier and heavier with your muscles on your upper body, and don't work heavy with your legs, of course your legs won't grow as much. I don't know what you mean by "lean body" exactly, but if you do more "time-intense" (higher reps, lower weight) exercises your muscles will probably not grow as large, but will be able to handle pressure over longer periods of time. Makes sense doesn't it?
    Last edited by mmoc67d00a7923; 2012-03-08 at 08:38 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Madloaf View Post
    Coolkingler,

Your friend is correct regarding trusting the "internet". However, why be ignorant? All I can tell you is that, while not a pro, I have been working out for quiet some time and researching and trying out loads of different things. You should not take what I say, or anyone else, as complete fact but you should reflect on it.

Keep in mind that bodybuilding/training is an area where little is actually scientifically proven. Many will say "do this", others "do that". The best thing to do is to take information from different sources and try for yourself, see what makes you develop the most.

Now to your question. I can't really give a straight answer, but I can say this much: Heavy lifting builds muscle. If you lift heavier and heavier with your muscles on your upper body, and don't work heavy with your legs, of course your legs won't grow as much. I don't know what you mean by "lean body" exactly, but if you do more "time-intense" (higher reps, lower weight) exercises your muscles will probably not grow as large, but will be able to handle pressure over longer periods of time. Makes sense doesn't it?
    With the last thing I meant having a runner body, and a bodybuilderish upper body. I wonder if that is possible.

Deleted
    Bearing in mind testosterone production in the body begins to decrease after 45-60 (or an hour and a half, I can't remember ), how long do your full body workouts take? The benefit of working each individual muscle group is simply that you can apply more concentration on that area, with stronger results in that muscle group. I personally find working two muscle groups each session as a brilliant way of gaining results

Biggest problem I have with working a full body once a week (which I do right now) is that I've found that it is very difficult to perform reps of some exercises near the end, due to strain on various parts of the body. Best way to get a "full body" imo is to do only the core lifts, leaving out the isolation exercises. Otherwise doing isolations throughout the week allows smaller muscles to recover.

2c

Not to discount anything anyone said here but you should check out bodybuilding.com, too.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by coolkingler1 View Post
    With the last thing I meant having a runner body, and a bodybuilderish upper body. I wonder if that is possible.
    I think I already answered that, but I will give you a more straight-forward answer this time. Yes, I would say so.

Deleted
    As a beginner I would recommend sticking to a simple workout schedule, starting out with full-body workouts 2-3 times per week.

If you do full-body more often you'll just overtrain.

Personally I stick to a simple upper-lower split. Legs and core twice a week and upper body (chest, back, shoulders and arms) twice a week.

I really don't see much of a point in doing a single muscle group per workout unless you're very advanced (meaning, you've been lifting for years and are getting close to the level where you could compete).