Thread: Ganking?

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by sacrypheyes View Post
    it could have been solved years ago if only they separated pve/pvp effects on abilities and dropped their resilience crap.
    not only would it have been so much easier to balance but that would have spared all the BS and QQ they had to deal with everytime they overbuffed/overnerfed something.
    yep its easily done.. Guild Wars 1 did this.

Quote Originally Posted by sacrypheyes View Post
    it could have been solved years ago if only they separated pve/pvp effects on abilities and dropped their resilience crap.
    not only would it have been so much easier to balance but that would have spared all the BS and QQ they had to deal with everytime they overbuffed/overnerfed something.
    Yh....it feels like they added world pvp in at the last minute...because it just doesn't fit nicely with the other features.
    And I think GW2's solution is just awesome...why seperate....when u can just join effortlessly? Mega awesomesauce

Quote Originally Posted by solarbear View Post
    Yeah I agree. I think their solution is a pretty good compromise.

TBH ganking is not pvp. And I am glad that is will not be part of this game.

Perhaps the internet goons will go play something else.
    That's the thing...it doesn't feel like a compromise at all. It's both there equally without any good features being sacrificed.
    Last edited by Squirrelbanes; 2012-03-16 at 07:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrelbanes View Post
    That's the thing...it doesn't feel like a compromise at all. It's both there equally without any good features being sacrificed.
    For people who want a true pvp experience any sort of sectioning off of pvp is not what they want. They might be better off playing Planetside 2 or even Prime Battle for Domiunus. I understand that, but its not what GW2 is about.

I really felt the sectioning off really helped Warhammer Online. And I hope the same sort of WvW experience is improved upon here.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_ View Post
    I just want to say that this is how world PvP works, and this is how WvW will work.
    It doesn't have to though, that's what we're trying to tell you. How world PVP is done in WoW now is horrible, and even though I believe GW2 could have some sort of world PVP, it goes against everything they are trying to do.

In GW2 you can get your gank on and I can get my PVE on within the same server. Separating PVP and PVE is a brilliant idea and it's a great way to please everybody. Except for the people that like to go out and ruin other peoples leveling experience.

As the old saying goes, sucks to be you because you clearly made a wrong server choice for your tastes. Time to migrate to a PvE server where rules of engagement suit you better
    And again, as we're trying to tell you, that shouldn't be the only solution. PVE servers in games that have 2 factions, to me, ruin immersion because you are at war with the people yet you don't fight them. In GW you are not at war with anyone, so it doesn't make sense if you could attack anybody. It shouldn't be the only solution and it's bad that it's your only argument against people that don't like to be ganked. There are ways to fix the problem, but developers are lazy and don't want to change the system.

Quote Originally Posted by solarbear View Post
    For people who want a true pvp experience any sort of sectioning off of pvp is not what they want. They might be better off playing Planetside 2 or even Prime Battle for Domiunus. I understand that, but its not what GW2 is about.

I really felt the sectioning off really helped Warhammer Online. And I hope the same sort of WvW experience is improved upon here.
    ok.....but what do they really offer that WvWvW doesn't? (other than the basic knowledge that pve is going on outside their sandbox) It's possible to stay in there basically continuously. And from the looks of things it's incredibly epic in scale.
    Likewise, a pveer can spend all their time in pve and not feel like they're missing out on anything because it's so varied.
    That's really what I was hitting at...it's not like you have to subtract from one or the other to get a fulfilled experience...whereas you would in wow for example.

I think you summarised it very well here. "No choice in the matter is good as long as the only path offered is the one I would have chosen".

Those who would choose differently are "wrong as usual" and should be forced to conform to your preferences.

The argument is as old as the religious witch hunts.
    So giving people both a PvE world AND a WvW (or world pvp) at the same time is more restrictive than separating PvE and PvP realms? Great argument

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by rhandric View Post
    So giving people both a PvE world AND a WvW (or world pvp) at the same time is more restrictive than separating PvE and PvP realms? Great argument
    Reading the actual argument presented by several people in this very thread answers your question. Hint: there is no danger, only boredom.

Reading the actual argument presented by several people in this very thread answers your question. Hint: there is no danger, only boredom.
    "I am going to ask again what I asked earlier. What exactly is the benefit of adding World PVP, that WvW doesn't already provide, that doesn't involve being a douchebag? "

Quote Originally Posted by BlairPhoenix View Post
    "I am going to ask again what I asked earlier. What exactly is the benefit of adding World PVP, that WvW doesn't already provide, that doesn't involve being a douchebag? "
    Sense of danger while leveling up/doing dailies/other boring and grindy stuff.

Which would have been obvious if you bothered to read the arguments. It has been posted by another person on this very page of this thread! Which makes your attempt to pull the "douchebag" card rather ironic.

^
    you can do that in WvW

10+ Year Old Account

Which would have been obvious if you bothered to read the arguments. It has been posted by another person on this very page of this thread! Which makes your attempt to pull the "douchebag" card rather ironic.
    The sense of danger from other players is replaced by being in a dynamic world. As opposed to a static one.
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

You can level via PVE objectives in WvW. While you are doing that, you can have the sense of danger of being ambushed by a group of players. You can get ambushed by a group of players at anytime in WvW really. How does that not provide a sense of danger? Yes that was said earlier, but it wasn't backed up, I said my post a page ago, and responded the same way when 'sense of danger' was brought up so yeah, you guys were the ones ignoring me, not the other way around.
    Last edited by BlairPhoenix; 2012-03-17 at 04:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    We must be playing different games, because anytime somebody dropped on me, I'd kick their ass, heal myself back to full, and be on my merry way on my flying mount. I never experienced this sense of danger because there was never anything worth fearing.

The only sense of danger was when I wasn't max level or wasn't in my pvp gear, which isn't an exciting sense of danger, but more of a "Man, i hope somebody doesn't fuck with me, because I'll just be one-shot" feeling. Not one I enjoy.
    LOL best reply I seen for the day.

10+ Year Old Account
    A: I've said it before. When leveling up, it's not a sense of danger, it's "Oh god I hope I don't get one-shot by an 85 Rogue doing Archaeology."
    "Sense of danger" suggests you actually have a chance of surviving.
    B: There is no boring grindy stuff in GW2.
    C: As others have REPEATEDLY stated in this thread, and you've REPEATEDLY ignored, you can level up in WvW if you have an obsession with getting completely steamrolled by higher-level players, while performing PvE objectives.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    A: I've said it before. When leveling up, it's not a sense of danger, it's "Oh god I hope I don't get one-shot by an 85 Rogue doing Archaeology."
    "Sense of danger" suggests you actually have a chance of surviving.
    B: There is no boring grindy stuff in GW2.
    C: As others have REPEATEDLY stated in this thread, and you've REPEATEDLY ignored, you can level up in WvW if you have an obsession with getting completely steamrolled by higher-level players, while performing PvE objectives.
    A. You will have to explain this one. "bigger chance to survive" = "scarier"? "Black" = "white"?
    I guess you're trying to go for "I want a fighting chance" because you simply do not understand the emotional charge of being the prey who's main goal is evasion rather then direct combat, and therefore are desperately grasping for straws in trying to argue your point without understanding the issue. The issue being that evasion becomes the name of the game rather then fighting down to meta-gaming locations, quests and times you go to when leveling alts.

B. You need to watch PvE gameplay in the demo. Most of the dynamic events are "help the farmer" with conditions like "bring me 10 stacks of hay", "bring me 20 ore" and "kill ten rats" (usually separated by "or" boolean). I didn't see "bring me 20 bear asses", probably because it's not an M rated game. That ass! Most of us will still be bored on all but perhaps the end events of long chains where we actually get to fight something bigger then average. Long BORING chains with potentially interesting ends.

C. As it has been repeatedly pointed out and flat out ignored by your type, WvW doesn't help the mindnumbingness of PvE grind in any conceivable way. Your mind clearly functions on assumption that most people want a clear PvE and PvP separation. This often repeated falsehood has been debunked countless times by developers quoting their own usage statistics. Most people enjoy participating in both. It still keeps on being repeated because it's that "to go" straw for fanatical PvE players. WvW is "repeat that very same task ad nauseum", which isn't all that interesting, so while it may be fitting for low level "do whatever it takes to level ASAP" PvP only crowd, it doesn't work for most of us who like as much variety in the quest objectives as possible.

Lucky
    A. That only works if ur similar level and have a chance. Which was his whole point. And once ur max level u don't rly compete in the open world much..u still compete in the pvp designed areas.
    B. There are often multiple ways to acheive objectives. Just watch the charr opening vid. Your reply is simply factually wrong. When they are this simple, there are so many offered to you that you just ignore any u cba to do. Did you even read the press beta reviews when they said they were utterly innudated by a wonderful array of things to do?
    C. There are a wide number of objectives to complete in WvW, across a spectrum of types...that allow u a great deal of freedom and choice in how you want to particpate. More than I've ever seen in pvp. This is again just factually wrong. Ofc, it doesn't compare with the array of choices and story in pve...it can't. But it provides a huge amount of choice for those who just want to level there...it certainly won't be mindnumbing when combing the variety of tasks with the action of pvp.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Squirrelbanes View Post
    Which was his whole point.
    In addition, when you're low level, especially in WoW, you don't have a chance at evasion. They drop down from the sky, deal any damage to you, whether it's a one-shot or not, and you're screwed, because any attempt to CC them will fail 90% of the time (And no, I don't consider a chance to get lucky a fun experience) and fat chance that you can out-run them (once you do, oh look, flying mount!).

Your only chance at evasion is when you're level 60+, having seen them coming first and be lucky enough to get on your own flying mount, which you used your main to pay for (which doesn't help new players, nor does it happen very often).

---------- Post added 2012-03-17 at 10:54 AM ----------

B. You need to watch PvE gameplay in the demo.
    I have. Just because there are "gather these items" DEs, does not mean they are long, grindy, and boring. Variety is what keeps things from being grindy.

---------- Post added 2012-03-17 at 10:54 AM ----------

C. As it has been repeatedly pointed out and flat out ignored by your type, WvW doesn't help the mindnumbingness of PvE grind in any conceivable way.
    You're just plain wrong.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.