Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Should I shell out $30 for the GW trilogy?

Put it this way, after 7 years of WoW I've had ENOUGH and haven't played it since December. I'm extremely disappointed with SWTOR, IMO it's a horrible MMO that was extremely over-hyped and I cancelled my sub after giving it a try. I need something to keep me busy in the meantime, I'm not big into FPS games like MW3, COD etc. I do plan on playing D3 when it's released (whenever that may be), but after several months I tend to lose interest in the Diablo games. I never researched the original GW much or paid attention to it's development/release like I'm doing with GW2. Is GW1 a ghost town, the equivalent of a single player game now or does it have somewhat of an active population? I'd just hate to spend the money and play it for a week only to become bored because nobody else plays it. I am however interested in the lore so I know what's going on with GW2 when that time comes.

I put a lot of time into GW1 and to be honest its a great game but I don't think it will make you happy after playing WoW in its current state and SWTOR. I would really just wait for GW2 or try to get into the beta. If you want to play it for the lore its pretty good and I believe it saves your toons name for use in GW2 so it owould be worth a play but I would not expect it to keep you happy for months.

10+ Year Old Account
    I guess, game is very empty nowdays though.
    You will have a tough time finishing it without other players.
    If you do buy it, make sure to start your character in nightfall so you have heroes to help get you through the game from the start.
    Playing gw solo feels like playing a squad based RTS/RPG to some extent sometimes, which might scare you off.

As per my experience, I've finished all 4 campaigns on a single character and I've got 20 HoM points.
    I did it ages go when the game was still populated though, I wanted to still do some dungeons to get some more points for gw2 hall of monuments, but it's too hard to get dungeon groups etc nowdays.
    Last edited by Riavan; 2012-03-09 at 07:33 AM.

I haven't played it for myself but from what I've heard on these forums. With private shards/instances it may feel lonely, but there are still guilds around. I can't comment on lore in GW1 one way or the other, but I can recommend The Movement of the World on the wiki that details the events between the two games. If I remember right GW1 does have a 7 day free trial you could check out.

10+ Year Old Account
    The ONLY reason I would buy GW1 now is if you are going to be able to stomach farming up some HoM points. I agree with Militello, after playing WoW and SW:ToR, now matter how you felt about either, I don't think GW1 is quite what you want to do.

It's not a ghost town at all. I believe in our alliance there are 50-100 ppl online every day at the same time. All servers in GW1 are interconnected, so the population is concentrated. As for it being worth $30 I would say definitelly. Just finishing the protector/guardian titles is hundreds of hours of fun gameplay. Makes you wonder why dungeons in WoW/TOR are so plain when 5 year old games can have interesting twists and mechanics in it. The story is suprisingly solid and if you are into PvP ... getting r3 Gladiator for HoM is fun by itself and you don't have to level anything to do it ... just create pvp char at max lvl, gear him up in a minute or two and you are rdy.

But GW1 is more suited for solo playing than groups. Thx to heroes you can do missions alone, so if you are looking for playing in groups, there may be better alternatives out there.

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

I bought it in mid-Jan and gotta say and really enjoying it.
    The single player game is great fun...a quite involved story. If you like RPGs or the storytelling aspects of games ul like it.
    It's great for lore...and tbh, once you get over the about 10 HoM point isn't not that hard to get more.
    I'd go for it...u get a big game for not too much bang.

10+ Year Old Account
    I really like Guild Wars. I'm farming HoM points now for GW2. It's only $30 so i would give it a try. If you can you need to buy the complete collection from a place like Gamestop. I'm not sure what country you're in but im sure you could get one. I should add in just to be clear. The complete collection has what the trilogy has and Eye of the North. EotN is what you need for HoM point grinding.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    I recommend some ice for your feet mate. With the trail of hot takes you're leaving in this thread they must be burning.

I guess some people in this thread are misinformed, GW1 is far from being empty. I have done every single mission grouped with real players since level 14-ish. Even in the most unpopular zones you'd find at least 2-3 guys hanging out. Kaineng has usually something like 100 people at any given time, maybe more.

Apart from this argument it all depends on what you like in a game. You could love GW1 or hate it. I've just finished Factions myself, and I loved it. Generally if you like story-driven gameplay, a combat system that requires micromanaging NPCs (you can play with henchmen/heroes if you don't find anyone to play with) and you don't mind the fact that it's heavily instanced (you'll learn to actually like it ) then go for it. You can totally play it for the lore and do HoM while slowly progressing through the campaigns, there's absolutely no rush in this game as you'll be at max-level with max-armor in 2 days.

You need to play with people for this game to be fun. I'm not going to lie. GW1 is pretty much a single player game. A VERY LONG single player game. If you want to complete all the campaigns...ha ha HA HAAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA. It's going to take a very long time.

Edit: However after completing all the campaigns, farming for HoM is very easy. I'm not exaggerating when I say the campaigns are very very long.

Edit 2: Don't compare GW1 to GW2. The only relation they have is story.

Yes...this is very true about the number of people. LA is always full of people...and at peak times the automatic server system creates other districts of busy zones (that you can travel to freely) so that often there are 3 or 4 full version of LA.
    It certainly isn't dead...and there are many many new people going after HoM as we speak.

I'd try something that's F2P, rather than having to invest in something you might not enjoy. Rift / Aion / Aoc / CO all have trial or Free to Play models that will allow you to try something different.

The thing with MMOs, is that everyone has different tastes. Half my Wow guild spend their time on Rift these days, I dabble on Swtor and personally couldn't stand Rift or GW. Others have started talking about Wakfu, which is an isometric, quasi turn based MMO, which is also F2P.
    Have you heard of the critically acclaimed MMORPG Final Fantasy XIV? With an expanded free trial which you can play through the entirety of A Realm Reborn and the award winning Heavensward expansion up to level 60 for free with no restrictions on playtime?

10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't. Guild Wars had lots of annoying issues like the inability to climb up a 5 foot ridge due to invisible walls allover the place, as well as horrid movement in general. The game is also very grindy.

Quote Originally Posted by Kudos View Post
    I'd try something that's F2P, rather than having to invest in something you might not enjoy. Rift / Aion / Aoc / CO all have trial or Free to Play models that will allow you to try something different.
    GW1 has trial.

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Been tempted to do this myself as some of the HoM reward pets sound quite cool and my main will most likely be a Ranger.

Do you need the expansions to work on your HoM 'level', or does it just make it easier to do?

Quote Originally Posted by Nirawen View Post
    Been tempted to do this myself as some of the HoM reward pets sound quite cool and my main will most likely be a Ranger.

Do you need the expansions to work on your HoM 'level', or does it just make it easier to do?
    You need the Eye of the North expansion, with other campaigns are recommended as they reduce the time spent/increase maximum amount of points available if I'm not mistaken.

GW Wiki Guide to HoM

Even without all of the campaigns, it is still possible to acquire all of the item rewards (30 points), and even some of the bonus titles, but never all 50 points. Each campaign contains statues, heroes, and armor sets that are unique to that campaign.

With Prophecies 43 total points are available.
    With Factions 45 total points are available.
    With Nightfall 46 total points are available.

The above numbers include Eye of the North statues, heroes, and armor sets since Eye of the North is required to access the Hall of Monuments. They also include all of the "Core" points, including PvP titles and campaign independent titles, which makes the maximum shown hard to achieve with only one campaign.

I'm also farming HoM points - been playing for around 6 months now. I'm really enjoying it. Good storylines, missions and dungeons. I've enjoyed acquiring and gearing up a team of heroes so I can always play alone if I need to (this is great when you want to play for 15 mins, go do something else, come back for another 15 mins etc - you can still complete the dungeon/mission/VQ even when irl gets in the way)
    It's also quite useful for practising playing without a dedicated tank or healer, instead using dps with some healing/condition removal and minions or spirits to bear the brunt of damage.

I've also looked a bit at Aion - that seems to be pretty lively in the beginner zones now it's f2p

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tithonus View Post
    You need the Eye of the North expansion, with other campaigns are recommended as they reduce the time spent/increase maximum amount of points available if I'm not mistaken.

GW Wiki Guide to HoM
    Cheers .

you can try gw: prophecies (the first campaign) for a few days i believe (see http://guildwars.com/freetrial)

while it's not my all favourite campaign, you may see for yourself how you like (or don't like) the game controls, skill system, etc

if you feel you're fine with it, 30 bucks is a fair price to pay considering the huge amount of content (though i'd advise you to also buy EotN xpac with the trilogy).

Deleted
    I have a few goals to complete with WoW before I can give it up (hc DW, a few achieves) before I stop but as long as the guild can hold it together I should be done before GW2 releases.

So I'm sort of interested in this as well. The tie in with GW2 is interesting but that they are completely different games less so. It could be still an interesting diversion but then I've yet to try out Skyrim or I could play more actively on Eve so it's not the only choice. I will have a while to decide though unless we have a massive break through in DS.